Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... so call it beginners luck. My very first shot with my 24/7 40 was dead center! After that... not so good. I was wondering where I can find info on how to properly use this type of sight. I hear conflicting information with target on top of top dot... then i hear target behind top dot. What is proper? I NEED better groupings!!! LOL

·
Administrator
40,844 Posts
I believe the concensus is, point of impact behind the front dot. At least that's how I use 'em. Works great for me. :thumb:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I tried covering the target with the dot, but still shot low and to the left...
The grouping wsa pretty good though...

God Bless,
Doc S

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Doc S said:

God Bless,
Doc S
You have my aim! Due to weather and other things, I have not been practicing, But that was exactly what I did with a PT111. I hear tighten up grip, try dif. grain ammmo, dif manufacturer, and some other stuff. Do a search on the whole site, it has been talked about many times.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I saw someone else here with the same aim...

I'm comfortable with 3 dot night sights...
I heard that Heinie has some with inserts...

I think I'll swap mine out...

God Bless,
Doc S

·
Registered
43 Posts
My first time to the range with my new 24/7 I shot low mostly and also low left. I tried dot under the target(6 oclock hold) as well as over the target, nothing worked. I even tried compensating for the low left shot by aiming high right, no luck. Here's the deal that worked for me, somewhere on this forum has a target broken down into sections, each section has a shooting problem writen in it. In the case of low left, it says that I was gripping the gun too tight, I changed that and shot pretty much dead on, still left though. the left section says too little or too much trigger finger, in my case it was too little. after I changed that my gun was shooting out the 1" bullseye from 10 yards, with the occasional freak shot not even in the circles
(that's me, not the gun). So, Long post made short. It's probably not the sights or the gun, it's probably an incorrect grip, or trigger pull. But the answer to the question of the front sight, the right picture is front dot covering the target.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Grab your gun, place your index finger along the side and in line with the barrel, and extend your arm and point at an object naturally.

You will find that you have a strong and level shooting platform with no left twist or muzzle dive.

Mechanically, the act of extending the index finger along the side of the gun, helps to extend and "lock up" the wrist, which adds strength to the grip, improves recoil control, and minimizes the tendency to shoot low and left.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's a thread that may help, it has a correction target, but it's different than the one I used.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1014.msg7688#msg7688

Grip, trigger pull, then sights has been the key to my shooting. Notice that sights is the least important part for me. Also, sight picture should be with the front dot in clear vision with the target and rear sights fuzzy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice chart and info! Ok.. this may be a super NOOB question. But Im confused about which eye to use as focusing for a right handed shooter. I have also heard that tactically it is best to use both eyes, I think it was referred to as "picture sight" in the link/article from above. What do you all think?

·
Registered
43 Posts
In my research i've found both that one should use both eyes as well as strong eye. In my shooting i've found that using my strong eye(my left eye is much much sharper than the right) has improved my aim. Even with this, I've tried both eyes, right eye, left eye. My strong eye has been the best, but not by too much. The most important aspects of my shooting have been refining my grip, stance, and pull with the sights(either eye or both) being the least important. I can get tight groupings around my POA with either eye or both only when using the right grip, stance and pull.

·
Administrator
35,758 Posts
I think "low and to the left" is mentioned in this web forum many, many times. At my last range visit, I was aiming the sights up, so instead of an "8" it would have looked like a snowman, if there had been a third circle.....this tended to bring my shot up pretty close to point of aim......

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
buck said:
I line the dots up as a figure 8 and cover the target with top dot and I am on target now out at 50 yards I might have to hold different but I haven't shot it at any longer ranges yet.
Well.. isnt 50yds with a pistol pretty decent range already?

·
Registered
66 Posts
There's a sticky post on this site that quotes heinie.com about the Taurus version of the Heinie sights. I read it on Heinie.com before even knowing this site existed. Heinie says that, for the Taurus sights, the top dot goes on the bullseye, or center-of-mass rather than at 6 o'clock like a traditional sight would go. If you sight at 6 o'clock you will end up shooting low.

The odd thing is, nowhere on Heinie's site do they make that same statement or recommendation about any sight they manufacture themselves - they only say it about the "licensed" sight manufactured by Taurus for Taurus. This makes me think that this is a manufacturing or design defect on the part of Taurus.

Covering the POI with the gun sight is a bad idea from a marksmanship perspective. That means that you are either guessing at worst or interpolating at best because you cannot see the aim point and the gun covers from the aim point downward. This requires an extra sighting step. You have to align the sights at 6 o'clock first and then move up to the interpolated POI.

From a self-defense perspective, this has risks. If you take that extra split second to get at 6 o'clock first and then move up, you could be dead. I think that the real solution, in the case of the - in my opinion - poor Heinie implementation from Taurus, is to practice a lot and learn to aim an inch or two high instinctively or to simply ignore that last inch or two in aim. Bullseyes in paper are for show-and-tell. I think it is grouping and consistency that is going to save your life. You're still going to get a good center-of-mass shot if you hit an inch or two low in a self-defense situation. You just won't be able to do television-like between the eyes shooting. But then, I don't think even many expert LEO shooters can do that kind of shooting when under fire either - no matter whose sight's they are using.

IMHO,

Dale

·
Registered
66 Posts
Doc S said:
Are you right-handed? It sounds like you're aiming properly for the Taurus Heinies and being consistent because you're getting good groups. If so, that sounds like you might be using too much finger when you shoot. You're pulling the trigger and, therefore, the gun down and to the left.

·
Registered
159 Posts
dalepres said:
There's a sticky post on this site that quotes heinie.com about the Taurus version of the Heinie sights. I read it on Heinie.com before even knowing this site existed. Heinie says that, for the Taurus sights, the top dot goes on the bullseye, or center-of-mass rather than at 6 o'clock like a traditional sight would go. If you sight at 6 o'clock you will end up shooting low.

The odd thing is, nowhere on Heinie's site do they make that same statement or recommendation about any sight they manufacture themselves - they only say it about the "licensed" sight manufactured by Taurus for Taurus. This makes me think that this is a manufacturing or design defect on the part of Taurus.

Covering the POI with the gun sight is a bad idea from a marksmanship perspective. That means that you are either guessing at worst or interpolating at best because you cannot see the aim point and the gun covers from the aim point downward. This requires an extra sighting step. You have to align the sights at 6 o'clock first and then move up to the interpolated POI.

From a self-defense perspective, this has risks. If you take that extra split second to get at 6 o'clock first and then move up, you could be dead. I think that the real solution, in the case of the - in my opinion - poor Heinie implementation from Taurus, is to practice a lot and learn to aim an inch or two high instinctively or to simply ignore that last inch or two in aim. Bullseyes in paper are for show-and-tell. I think it is grouping and consistency that is going to save your life. You're still going to get a good center-of-mass shot if you hit an inch or two low in a self-defense situation. You just won't be able to do television-like between the eyes shooting. But then, I don't think even many expert LEO shooters can do that kind of shooting when under fire either - no matter whose sight's they are using.

IMHO,

Dale
The Heinie sights on my .45 took a couple hundred rounds to get used to and the same for the trapezoid sights on my Steyr M40.

I am almost positive that if I ever have to use my firearms in self defense that I will be way more focused on my target than on the sights so I've started shooting at the range that way to train myself to make the gun point and shoot almost dead on where I'm looking. The front sight is almost completely out of focus but my POI is very close to what I'm looking at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I want to thank all you guys for the info!
i recently got a 24/7 45 & ran about 150 throught it at the range, i love the gun BUT had a hard time with the sights. for me the rear single dot throws me off (maybee its my simple mind) i had to say to myself "front sight press" so i wouldnt stare at that rear dot!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts