Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started our baking phase yesterday. Starts with a "basic culinary math" class. Stinking fractions, decimals and percents. All stuff my school did NOT teach. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

OK, I feel a little better now.

Sarge

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*sigh* Not in baking it aint. Very precise measurements. I do understand also the why. The few times I've baked it becomes evident fast. Won't taste or be quite right. Not as fluffy or hard, or not layered or just not taste good. At least we have no one like last class. They had a dude who couldn't taste the difference between salt or sugar. And to him they looked the same also.

Fraction to decimal, easy (worked as a machinist for a short time). Decimal to percent, mostly easy (if I remember to move the dang point the right direction). Word statements asking for what percentage???? Bite me, hard. Sounds easy in description but in practice something just goes awry. I was told yesterday I do some of the stuff the "hard" way as I understand the basics of algebra (I should, three algebra classes and one darn good teacher) and use it for word problems a lot.

I know, if I do enough of it, it will stick and get easy. But dang it my head hurts!!!

Oh and this Sarge aint really a cupcake dude. *grin* Altho I might have to be as the dang things are one of the, if not THE fastest growing segment of the baking and cooking market.

·
Registered
31,695 Posts
My youngest tutors math, however, I doubt he knows how many teaspoons make a tablespoon or how many tablespoons make a cup and how many cups make a pint and so on.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My youngest tutors math, however, I doubt he knows how many teaspoons make a tablespoon or how many tablespoons make a cup and how many cups make a pint and so on.
That was hammered in our heads early. *grin* Including such "interesting" things like how many tablespoons in a fluid ounce. It does help for a lot more than I thought it would.

·
Registered
31,695 Posts
I'm about to look up how many gallons in a cubic yard so I can estimate the cost of filling my pool with dirt and making a garden out of it!:)

Easy enough 30,000 gallon pool takes 148.533 cubic yards. Now I just have to find 148.533 cubic yards of dirt at a cheap delivered price.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
...look at the bright side , nobody'll be shooting back at ya...;)

well, depending on the neighborhood the restaurant's in they might. :eek:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Sounds like me when I had to take a statistics class, and then my GREs after having been out of school for twenty years. I didn't even recognize some of the math! :D

·
10,379 Posts
LoL Sarge, I feel for you. I'm one of the lucky ones that got math right out the gate, took to it as easy as a duck to water, then again, my dad was a math and English teacher, so it may be genetic<g>

I actually taught my kids math by letting 'em help with the cooking/baking, if we double this recipe, that means how much of this ingredient now, ect.?

Hang in there, it'll get easier as it becomes more routine, pretty soon you won't even consciously think about it, your brain will just do it automagically.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It should come easy to me. My mum was very good at math and my dad was an EE. He had to buy a calculator for classes back when TI was the only choice and that puppy was EXPENSIVE. But it also did almost everything...once you read the huge book on how it worked. Heck I just learned not long ago to do some of the basic stuff in my head. Otherwise it took paper and pencil for almost anything. But the chef showed us a triangle method today that makes thing easier. Lets see if I can explain it:

A triangle with the top corner labeled Part, a horizontal line about half way down thru it, right bottom corner labeled Whole and the left labeled % and a multiply sign half way between them. Fill in the info you know and it tells you the formula to solve the problem. Top and one of the bottoms, divide. The two bottoms and you multiply.

We had an 86 problem work sheet for homework and it took me 4 hours. And I would have failed if it had been a test.

Sarge

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And doubling a recipe gets way more complicated when you bake. Some things don't just double but use a factor deal to ensure the taste comes out right. We made some chocolate chips today tho that made learning the process a must do tho!!

Sarge

1 - 13 of 13 Posts