Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally had a chance to make it to the range. It's been a while and I've acquired a few new toys since then. I started things off with the Taurus M65 I picked up a few months ago. As expected, it shot like a dream. The single action is on par with my M66 and the double action is just a touch heavier but silky smooth. Accuracy was good. About a 4" group from 30 yards. I think this one will hang around a while!

Next up was the one I was most excited about. My first AR-15! I backed off to 50 yards and ran 30 rounds through it. 25 at the paper target and 5 at the spinner I bought last night at Walmart. I missed the 3"plate but got the last two rounds on the 4 1/2" plate. I was shooting from a standing position unsupported. I only ran two mags through it today. I'm not much of a rifleman but I think I did alright.

Just to check for proper function I ran 5 rounds of birdshot and 5 00 buck through the Stevens 320 and it worked perfectly. I'm not much of a shotgunner but I feel like I should own one! LoL

And I finished the trip with two mags through todays carry gun which happened to be the M&P45c today. As usual, it was flawless and boringly accurate.

As I mentioned I bought this spinning target last night at Walmart on impulse. The instructions say a minimum of 30 yards for handguns and 200 yards for 223. It also says to use lead only. I shot it with 45acp fmj and 357 mag jsp with no issues. The two rounds from my AR were fmj 5.56 from 50 yards with no issue at all. I read some not so flattering reviews after buying this thing but I misty say mine performed better than expected. I guess time will tell.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Thanks for the excellent range report with pictures. Great job.:thumb::thumb:

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
A great big YIPPIE KI YAY to my neighbor to the west! Good shooting! As they have been known to say, a bad day at the range still beats a good day at the office!

Reactions: Sekol

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
Beautiful 65, I love stainless revolvers. Very nice.

Reactions: Stroker

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
Oops :) well I do love stainless, but blued is an all-business look for sure. It looks great in any case.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Nice! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
Great Pics. the M65 you picked up looks almost like my first handgun a Taurus M66 circa 1986. It was such a phenomenal revolver, I can see why you're beaming over it.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All this discussion of the 65/66 made me do a group photo. LoL Here is the M65 posing with the 3" M66.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Very, very nice!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Oh the AR bug has bit another, I can hear it in your post!

Come on over to the Monthly Rifle shoot.

So what's your first Mod going to be?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm thinking a Mako magwell grip and Magpul SL fore end.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm thinking a Mako magwell grip and Magpul SL fore end.
The Mako is a pretty neat little Mod. Always handy to have 10 extra rounds, but factor in the added weight if that is going to be an issue. I've got it on my scoped rifle, so it isn't really an issue for what I use the gun for.

I've changed out the ABArms handguard/forend on this gun already so this picture is out of date, but here is what it used to look like.

The front half now looks like this.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice! This one is going to stay pretty much bare bones. I'm already planning my next one. LoL I'll play around with optics on it. Haha

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see that yours is a PSA. Did you build it? I'm thinking of buying an upper and building the lower on my next one.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Glad you got out! Relaxing isn't it! I got out this week also and felt like a new man afterward.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I was definitely overdue for some range therapy. Staging issues at work lately and I finally caved and took the promotion they've been trying to push on me for the last 3 months. My wife and soon are out of town this weekend so last night was grilled brats and cold Sam Adams Octoberfest, then range time today. It's been a great weekend.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts