Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used this particular ammo before. I'm looking to score some hollow points and I found these going for 23.99 per box of 50. Are they any good and is this a deal I should take advantage of?

·
Registered
24,852 Posts
The only way you will know is to try them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I use it all the time in my 1911. The price at my LGS is $5 cheaper though. Try it.

Reactions: stallard

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use it all the time in my 1911. the price at my LGS is $2 cheaper though. Try it.
Well this is an online deal. Currently where Im at the only defense rounds I can find are the federal hollow points but the store wants 35.00 for a box of 20:mad:. I was thinking about ordering the aguilas I just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't use it for defense ammo as I use Liberty 50gr for that. I use it at the range because of cost.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I have used a lot of Aguila ammo in the past. Never had a problem with it. Just have to try it and see how it goes.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Has anyone ever used this particular ammo before. I'm looking to score some hollow points and I found these going for 23.99 per box of 50. Are they any good and is this a deal I should take advantage of?
Never used that particular projectile in the Aquila.
MY first question would be is this a self defense projectile?
Many assume that because a projectile is a hollow point that it is a defense ammunition, this can be far from the truth.
Many hollow point projectiles are designed for accuracy by moving weight to the base of the projectile.
I shoot quite a bit of hollow point 115 grain in both my 9MM and 38 supers but tis strictly a range ammo, the projectile will absouletely NOT expnd even at 1350 FPS.
so that would be my first consideration.
IF it is indeed a self defense projectile I can say that Aquila has always performed well in a variety of calibers for me.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually decided not to go with the Aguilas JHP's and instead I purchused 2 50 round boxes of PMC 115gr JHP for a dollar less and I didnt have to pay for shipping. But yeah My thought was that the JHP would be defense rounds. Is that possible at 115gr? Most of the HP's i see people talking about using are like 147gr.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
The hot, light rounds in many calibers often have the highest muzzle energy ratings. Run through the ballistics101 website for stats on a lot of today's commercial ammo.

The slower but heavier crowd will start a 'caliber war' discussion with you.

The mid weight shooters (124, 165 etc) will sit back and eat popcorn.

There is a move to sub 100gr 9mm SD rounds - again, test and try and decide what works for you!

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
I actually decided not to go with the Aguilas JHP's and instead I purchused 2 50 round boxes of PMC 115gr JHP for a dollar less and I didnt have to pay for shipping. But yeah My thought was that the JHP would be defense rounds. Is that possible at 115gr? Most of the HP's i see people talking about using are like 147gr.
I agree with Mingaa on this and i think running the numbers through the calculations will pretty much prove this.
BUT all the selection of a self defense round is a very opionated process, many deciding by a brand name or color of box more than actual research( the research is normally asking the clerk at the gun shop--What do you shoot?), we can get away with that because not many of us will ever be involved in an actual shooting and the fact that most modern self defesne rounds do a quite good job if they must be placed into action.
generally speed equals energy and weight equals penetration. so i have usually leaned to a mid range weight loading of non plus P power myself, that gives me energy, and penetration for a wide range of barriers (clothing,target size,angled shots etc!) and the standard loading makes for faster return to target, see i believe thta 3 rounds in a target is approximately 3 times as effective as 1 round in the target.
Note this is my personal opinions that i made point of earlier in the post.

Reactions: oldbull360

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
The hot, light rounds in many calibers often have the highest muzzle energy ratings. Run through the ballistics101 website for stats on a lot of today's commercial ammo.

The slower but heavier crowd will start a 'caliber war' discussion with you.

There is a move to sub 100gr 9mm SD rounds - again, test and try and decide what works for you!
*eating popcorn and waiting*

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Aguila is fine ammo. Their .38 Spl 158 gr. SJHP is my preferred SD round in that caliber. I've fired quite a bit of Aguila, mostly 124 gr. FMJ's, out of a PF9 with no issues. $23.99 seems high, but prices I was paying on Aguila at Aim Surplus have gone up considerably. I have not bought ammo since last year, so I will be suffered sticker shock for some time.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts

Indeed!
MY carry round in 9MM is a 92 grain all copper self defense round loaded at non plus P pressure but is clipping along at 1400 FPS out of a 4 inch barrel and produces 400 FT LBS of energy and and about 11 -12 inches of penetration in ballatic gel.
Now the 38 Super is a hand loaded 124 grain Gold Dot or Nosler JHP, mostly because Fiocchi don't load the same round in 38 Super as the 9MM load.
But I do have some all copper projectiles in 115 that i need to work up a laod with for the Supers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I shot some the same aquila hp this weekend into home made ballistics gel and the lead core seperated from the copper jacket. Had good expansion with some hornady zombie Max.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Aguila is one of the few foreign manufacturers of ammunition that I will use for target practice. It is known for quality comparable to American brands. Tends to be loaded on the hot side.

The factory where it is produced in Mexico was actually set up by Remington some 50+ years ago.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
I shot some the same aquila hp this weekend into home made ballistics gel and the lead core seperated from the copper jacket. Had good expansion with some hornady zombie Max.
SO apparenty it (Aquila) is a self defense projectile.
and would also appear that its an older design thats not bonded.
which would make sense at its reasonable price per round.
as NYPD states i too think its a bit warm, at least all i have fired in different clibers, but haven't ever seen any pressure signs, just a good stout load it seems.

Reactions: bapak2ja

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I have a lot of recipes in the reload book - many have to do with major / minor power factors for competition. My 2 SD pistol calibers are 9 & 40 and I'm a middle weight fan as well - good weight, good speed and 'good night!'

Hornady XTP are readily available and I have a good stock and find them a very good performer for the price. I can easily get 124 9mm at or close to 400 ft. lbs of muzzle energy at 1200 fps or so. With 40 I like 155/165 and get at or close to 500 ft. lbs at 1200 fps and 1175 - ish respectively and still not be over pressure on any of them. I shoot them all well though they are snappier than what I shoot in competition - as long as I put 'em where they are effective I figure I'm good.

Here's a page with a good discussion of XTP expansion vs accuracy - the author has found one trait that I like - the accuracy of the bullets.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/HornadyXTP.htm

Reactions: bapak2ja

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
YEP!
Hornady XTP works for me, they also seem to very reliable even in guns that might be a bit picky on feeding Hollow points.
I think the accuracy may be the long bearing surface of the projectile.
I gots some .451- 200 grain loaded and a box of 40 cal projectiles for the 10MM but haven't loaded them yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts