Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the Aguila 12ga Mini Buck Shot Shells? I was thinking they would work great for SD. They are said to work particularity well in the Winchester 1300 (which I have), so it would give me double the capacity I normally have. What say you?

·
Registered
32,089 Posts
I own about 40 rounds of buckshot and 40 of the slugs. They work well in my 3,000 S & W Pump, but you have to be forceful in racking in the new rounds. The 2" long rounds will not work with a gentle racking of a pump, and will not work real well with all pumps. Mine will work with my pump, will not cycle an auto. The main advantage is more rounds in the same size tube feed shotgun and lower recoil. The stock I have is relegated to my last defense ammo stock pile or pretty much, "I'll use it when I have nothing else!"

·
32,619 Posts
There was a shotgun actually made for the mini shells about a decade or more ago. It shot fine, but cannot say durability was good. Few were made and disappeared rather quickly from the scene. I saw one, and only article about the shotgun which was a full page, but short.

·
Registered
32,089 Posts
Oh, as to capacity I can get 5 of the 2 3/4 " including one in the pipe and 8 of the Aguila into my model 3,000. I can thumb a new round into a pump pretty quick from years of dove and quail hunting so I'm not just really all that concerned about extra capacity although I do own a Saiga 12 with 20 round capacity drum magazines. If the Zombies were marching on city hall, I'd still grab the Saiga, even though thumbing them in doesn't bother me. I do see merit in the low recoil 8 pellet rounds that are 2 3/4" though. If you are worried about capacity, I would get a tube magazine extension instead of spending money on the Aguila.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
We played with them years ago in buck shot, birdshot, and slugs. They would feed well in the Remington 870 pumps, not very good in Mossburg and a few others we tried. Patterns were about what the guns shot with the same type shot in regular shells. I still have some but have not thought about them in years. I doubt I would any more.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
This excellent ammo with good ballistics from such "short rounds".

The only caveat is they don't reliably feed in all pumps & semiautos.

·
32,619 Posts
I've got a Winchester 1300 and a Remington 870 in which these will feed ,fire,and eject.

But as advertised that each individual model of gun is an entity unto itself. In other words beofre buying these in bulk buy a box and make sure the gun in question can actually feed,fire,and eject with the Mini-shells. You do have to be forceful. Not too forceful. It's hard to quantify forceful. One does not want ot batter the gun and its working parts.

·
Registered
32,089 Posts
I've got a Winchester 1300 and a Remington 870 in which these will feed ,fire,and eject.

But as advertised that each individual model of gun is an entity unto itself. In other words beofre buying these in bulk buy a box and make sure the gun in question can actually feed,fire,and eject with the Mini-shells. You do have to be forceful. Not too forceful. It's hard to quantify forceful. One does not want ot batter the gun and its working parts.
How about deliberate instead of forceful?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This excellent ammo with good ballistics from such "short rounds".

The only caveat is they don't reliably feed in all pumps & semiautos.
This is the kind of info I am looking for. I will have to try a box and see how they function, and then I just might buy a case! BTW, would it be correct to believe that you could use these rounds in something like Stoeger's Double Defense O/U and thereby increase the capacity?

·
Registered
32,089 Posts
It would increase the carrying capacity you could carry in volume and in weight, it wouldn't increase the capacity you could have loaded into the Stoeger Double Defense.

Reactions: RevolverFan

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would increase the carrying capacity you could carry in volume and in weight, it wouldn't increase the capacity you could have loaded into the Stoeger Double Defense.
I thought so, but my mind does sometimes get a little squirrely with these engineering things!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts