Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the .40 S&W PT series Tauri and in just the last ten minutes have seen round counts of 10, 11, 13, 15 and 17.

Which is it???

I'm guessing that 10 and 11 round mags are Commiefornia-ized mags. If the Taurus comes with those, I won't even buy it.

But 13, 15 and 17 still make no sense.

Can someone enlighten me please?? I see only 10 and 11 round mags on Taurus' web site. Can I buy these WITH high cap mags instead of having to add money for aftermarket mags? And what capacity would that be.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
IIRC, the PT100/101 have 11 round mags.

The PT101P has a 16 round magazine. 16 in the mag and 1 in the chamber is 17, so that that may be where the 17 is coming from. As you mentioned, California guns are limited to 10, so that may be where the 10 is coming from.

The other numbers are probably confusion between other pistols like the PT92, which is 15 I believe.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I am looking at the .40 S&W PT series Tauri and in just the last ten minutes have seen round counts of 10, 11, 13, 15 and 17.

Which is it???

I'm guessing that 10 and 11 round mags are Commiefornia-ized mags. If the Taurus comes with those, I won't even buy it.

But 13, 15 and 17 still make no sense.

Can someone enlighten me please?? I see only 10 and 11 round mags on Taurus' web site. Can I buy these WITH high cap mags instead of having to add money for aftermarket mags? And what capacity would that be.

Thanks
PT92s were originally sold with 15 round 9mm magazines. Then Taurus increased the factory magazine capacity to 17 in the mid 1990s which is also during the period of the U.S. Assault Weapons Ban , so there are 15 round, 10 round, and 17 round factory mags for the PT917/92/99s .

The PT100/101s have 11 round magazines and always have from the factory, with 10 rounders being for communist districts such as NJ, NY, Cali, Cook County IL, etc.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
My PT101 came with 11 round mags from Taurus. During the AWB, they came with 10 round mags. California, and some other blighted states still require the 10 round mags. The problem lies with the length of the pistol's grip, and the design of the magazine. Eleven rounds fits flush, and functions reliably.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see from further searches that the PT101 P did indeed come with 15 or 16 round mags, but is no longer in production.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
That's kind of a shame about the PT101P being out of production. Glad I got one when they available. From what I understand about them, they were an Academy Sports and Outdoors exclusive priced around $375. They frequently went on sale for $300, which is what I got mine for. They have a slightly larger grip frame that accommodates a special 16 round magazine. Mags are not interchangeable between the PT101 and PT101P. Two mags came with the gun, and I haven't found any source for extras. The 16 round mags have a plastic extended floorplate. It's a great shooter, and those magazines seem like they are never going to end. I'm surprised that there hasn't been more interest in these. I wonder if the fact that they were only sold in Academy, and had such a low price, that people assumed they were junk. I can assure you this is not the case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have owned several really nice guns made in Spain. Because everyone thought that "Spanish steel" was inferior, I got a lot of great deals.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Can someone give me a link to purchase these magazine extenders? I don't seem to be able to find them!

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
There is no link. Check with Taurus directly, and see if they can come up with either the magazines, or the extensions. I would also try Googling the magazines periodically, and be ready to jump on whatever I can find. As the magazine cannot interchange with those of the PT101 or PT100, I doubt that the extension will fit those mags, either.

Eleven Rounds in a full-size pistol was the norm for a number of years. The S&W 4006, the Beretta 96, and the Sig P229 all had that capacity. This was because they used a 9x19 sized frame. Later, after the 1994 AWB expired, manufacturers tooled up new models that held more rounds.

High Capacity magazines? What, exactly, is a High Capacity Magazine? Many magazines prior to the AWB were designed with capacities greater than 10 rounds, especially in 9x19. Steyr held 18, Glock 19, S&W 15, Ruger 15, Browning 13, even the Beretta .380 held 12 in it's magazine, along with the Taurus PT58. These were not high capacity anything, they were design parameters.

If anything, the law created LOW CAPACITY MAGAZINES in guns that were designed to carry 10+ rounds.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks. It's not that I feel under-gunned with 12 rounds of .40, but more is always better lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts