Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mail-lady dropped off the new Ed Brown "Hardcore" extractor I ordered last week.
For those just tuning in, I had decided to replace the stainless extractor Taurus sent me a few month ago for my
blued PT1911, with a blued one. None of the Wilson BP's I had would retain the firing pin stop, and Taurus now refuses
to send out OEM extractors. A friend of mine recommended the Ed Brown, so I sent a Wilson I had recently ordered
back to Midway and exchanged it for an EB.

The Ed Brown fits perfectly. Not only that, but compared side by side , the EB makes the Wilson look like a bargain bin
part. The finish (not that it really matters, since it's mostly hidden) is much, much nicer on the EB. The actual working
surfaces of the extractor are nicely radius-ed/beveled. The Wilson surfaces look much rougher, especially the nose and
claw. I apologize for lack of pics, but I don't have camera that can take decent macro shots.
So, for a couple of dollars less (than the Wilson), I have my blued PT1911 back to being all blue and I have an extra
Taurus OEM SS extractor in case the one on the stainless breaks. :D

·
Registered
30,023 Posts
Let us know how it keeps the firing pin block in after shooting it. Thats when mine fell out (landed right on my hand, kinda funny actually. :D ).

·
Registered
37,357 Posts
Good to know!
I have Taurus extractors for my PT 45's and 38 Super, but have a couple Ed Brown extractors for my other 1911's in 45 and 10MM.
So if your works out then I have more backup extractors than i thought.

Reactions: RichO

·
Registered
127 Posts
Considering the nightmare I have been going through with my brand new PT1911, I believe there is a good reason why Taurus won't send out the extractors and possibly firing pin blocks as well. I was told a list of parts but I can't remember them all. The slide is one. I think that these parts are having to be custom fitted to the guns just as the slides and other parts are. This is what you get with a "blueprinted" gun and the PT1911 is essentially that.

·
Super Moderator
40,725 Posts
Glad to here you are good to go.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I will be waiting for range report

jhp
wonder if the ed brown will fit the 1911 9mm

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am having a FTE with my PT 1911. Taurus wants $50.00 shipping to replace the extractor. The gun was bought in February so don't think I will send it back for repairs. Think I will try Ed Brown if it works. Keep us informed and thanks for the update RickO

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am having a FTE with my PT 1911. Taurus wants $50.00 shipping to replace the extractor. The gun was bought in February so don't think I will send it back for repairs. Think I will try Ed Brown if it works. Keep us informed and thanks for the update RickO
I still haven't been able to hit the range yet, but I'm confident that I won't have a problem. I checked the fit pretty thoroughly <knock on wood>.

Sounds like you're right around the 6mo cutoff for free shipping back to Taurus. If you do want to send your pistol in, you should still be able to, I would call back and ask for a Supervisor. If you do decide to replace your own, definitely save your old extractor in case you ever do need to send the gun in. I was told that replacing the extractor on my own would void the warranty on the entire gun.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
37,357 Posts
DO you know how to TUNE a 1911 extractor?
that and a close look at the angles/cuts, tip etc may remedy the problem.

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
251 Posts
DO you know how to TUNE a 1911 extractor?
that and a close look at the angles/cuts, tip etc may remedy the problem.
Olfarhors, thank you for the suggestion. I did try that and it passes the test, but I believe my problem may be the claw at the end seems rough. At first I thought it was carbon built up but it will not come clean. I will try to take it back to the range tomorrow and try again. This is not my EDC but it is frustrating non the less. dbeardslee, thanks for posting the video. Will keep you informed.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I still haven't been able to hit the range yet, but I'm confident that I won't have a problem. I checked the fit pretty thoroughly <knock on wood>.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
Rich, have you made it to the range yet? I would like to pick up one of these as a spare and before I order, I'd like to hear how well it performs.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rich, have you made it to the range yet? I would like to pick up one of these as a spare and before I order, I'd like to hear how well it performs.
Sorry for not following up on the follow up!

The Ed Brown "Hardcore" works great! I've got about 300 rounds through it since I installed it, and no issues
whatsoever. It retains the FPS perfectly.

Reactions: oso

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Good to know there is a extractor that will work, next purchase from Midway or Brownells i will have to pick one up. I have a couple of Taurus stainless extractors but my pistol is BHW blue finish. I could use them if needed but would prefer blue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts