Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What non Taurus magazines work best in the pt1911 ?

Thanks
T
U.S. Army Ret.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The main ones that people have good luck with on 1911's are the previously mentioned Chip McCormicks, Wilson Combat and Tripp Research Cobra Mags. I'm sure that there are others but this is the ones I know of.

Steelheart

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have only use them a couple times when out with a buddy but Kinber seems to work well. Also I believe Midway is still have an inventory reduction on them. The McCormicks are on sale ( some of them) also at Midway if I recall.

As to wilson I have just picked up the new tactical elite mag ( the most costly) but it seems to work even smoother than the 47d ( Wilson's most popular mag) the little I have tried it.

Brizz

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the input

·
Registered
4 Posts
My PT1911B doesn't like anything but Taurus magazines. I have tried a CMC 8, Pro-Mag 8, and various Colt 7 rounders, and none fit, or fall freely, like the Taurus mags.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wilson 47D's work great in mine and they have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I own the 1911SS and 1911B and I bought CMC mags and wilson combat,etc... And no matter what rounds I use the first racked bullet always nose dive but if you only put 7 rounds instead of 8 it works fine. So be careful everyone says they all work !!!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,946 Posts
I've got Chip McCormick and Novack 8 rounders and they work great.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
i'm having no problems with chip mc 8 rd power mags, but they do leave a bright strip at the bottom of my non S/S pistol. in other words, they don't go with a blued pistol if you give a darn, darn i meant darn about that sort of thing. i don't, i'm all about functionality. i put my original taurus mags back in the case for posterity. except for the one that's torn apart on my kitchen table for the past week waiting to be cleaned :D i'm a so lazy.

..so there.

·
Super Moderator
21,946 Posts
NavySEAL said:
My PT1911B doesn't like anything but Taurus magazines. I have tried a CMC 8, Pro-Mag 8, and various Colt 7 rounders, and none fit, or fall freely, like the Taurus mags.
Try Novacks, Taurus must have copied them to a tee they are identical except for the name.
Plus there springs are much better compared to Taurus.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have 6 of the Wilson ETM (Elite Tactical Magazine)  The tubes are stainless, the Spring and follower setup is designed to make the insertion of the 8th round much easier, and then when the 8 round magazine is loaded into the pistol it actually locks right in with little effort, unlike the stock mags that you had to really cram in to get them to lock, I can perform tactical reloads, sliding the full mag in under a full chamber as easily as you would a perform a slidelock reload.  The followers are a nice slick plasic polymer and the base pads have engraved numbers 1-10 to allow you to mark them for identification.  I use a small drop of paint from a modelers paint pen.  They are reasonably priced at $36 apeice (Brownells) IMHO, and until I find another Mag that performs this well, it will be the only Mag I buy. 1500 rounds with these and ZERO FTF's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought several used mags - not Taurus or any of the above mentioned - and have had problems (FTF and failure to lock up) that I never have with my stock Taurus mags. The first mag simply says ".45 Auto" and the second says "Colt 45 Auto." Both are 6 round mags.

What's not to like about the Taurus magazines? So far they work perfectly.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
jonyrotten said:
i'm having no problems with chip mc 8 rd power mags
reassessment. i hate the way these things break down, i will not buy more of them. as i'm not a 1911 expert, i didn't realize that just because this mag used a different follower, it would assemble from the top. i hate that, it's a big pain in the ass, as opposed to the taurus mags that assemble from the bottom. it was a bitch getting this back together. how much do you guys know about which mags assemble which way? the bottom in is easy, the top in sucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got some ACT/Novak 8 Roung mags and I'm not happy with them. Often the first cartridge will get stuck on the loading ramp. Once they get going they're fine. I've had problems with both factory ammo and handloads. OTOH, my Taurus mags work perfectly every time. Darn thing is the ACT mags look exactly like the Taurus except the ACT mags are stainless. Good thing about the ACT mags was they were cheap.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts