Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Very sad day, they showed a school and there was nothing left of it.... Sad so many children and others lost their lives. Just amazing to me how there was nothing left anywhere, like it leveled everything.

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
Gigantic swaths of total devastation. Prayer and contributions to local charities and the Salvation Army is what we can do now. If there are folks that need help with horse transportation, vet practice or quartering I have some links.

Horse help.jpg

And another:

PLEASE SHARE!!! ATTN ALL HORSE OWNERS::: Please let everyone in Oklahoma know this: If any horses have been left homeless - or injured - in Oklahoma & have nowhere else to go, call me! We will take in all that we can & we will fix those that need fixing......Jim Gath - Tierra Madre Horse Sanctuary - Cave Creek, AZ - 480.747.1070 - Please share.....

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
A tornado devastated my life and my home at 5:30 PM on August 5, 1993.

I'm thankful to God to this day that my son and tiny granddaughter and I were able to walk away without so much as a scratch on us.

My heart is burdened for the victims of the tornado that ravaged Oklahoma.

Reactions: Marinevietvet

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
My heart cries for the people of Moore.

Another organization that is support i Mercy Chefs.

Yeah, my little life problems don't seem so much after this.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Are there no basements in Oklahoma?

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
Are there no basements in Oklahoma?
I had the same thought. A report today said that there are some, but that the rocky ground makes it expensive to build like that. While I am not a "regulation" type of guy generally, it seems that it should be building code for mobile home parks and schools to have storm shelters in tornado alley. If they don't want to dig, then a steel reinforced room bolted to a concrete foundation might suffice.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
One of the major obstacles with underground shelters in parts of Oklahoma is the high water table. A good backhoe can handle some pretty large rocks, but some installers have the equipment to handle those also. From the pictures I've seen, only a ground shelter would have been adequate.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Yup - this thing was absolutely devastating. I wish they would at least require underground shelters in the schools - they say there was a 17 minute warning prior to the touch down - more than enought ime to get the kids into a shelter - there is no amount of money worth a childs life

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Yes, the rocky surface and high water table make basements/underground shelters problematic. In fact I read that 7 of the children that died at the school were all in an underground area, and actually drowned because of the massive rainfall.

·
Banned
5,818 Posts
If the corrupt govt would have taken some of the money we send to countries that hate us and built proper shelters this could have been avoided.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I am completely floored by what happened. All I can say is my prayers are with the families and victims of this tornado.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
I had the same thought. A report today said that there are some, but that the rocky ground makes it expensive to build like that. While I am not a "regulation" type of guy generally, it seems that it should be building code for mobile home parks and schools to have storm shelters in tornado alley. If they don't want to dig, then a steel reinforced room bolted to a concrete foundation might suffice.
You know that sounds like a great idea.. You might want to pass the idea along and help someone..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts