Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned in my previous thread I had issues with my G2 today. All my fault though...... I had steel cased ammo and my G2 did not like it at ALL......

Once I got home I began cleaning my GLOCK 22 and I noticed the back plate on my G2 was broken( the small tip) was broken off... The gun ran great once I switched to brass hmmmmm. So I looked the gun over while cleaning it, found no other problems.

I called Taurus explained what my situation was the gentleman got all of my info and is sending a new plate out. Granted this piece is maybe 2.00 but to just send it out to me is awesome.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Great to hear. That's exactly what Ruger will do with small stuff, if you know how to install it. They shouldn't even charge you for it. I called Ruger when I got my 9E and told them I wanted a new polymer guiderod as a spare, just couldn't find it on their site. She took my address and info, and I asked what do I owe ya? She told me it was inputted as a broken part and it would arrive Monday, free of charge. :)

I'm very glad to hear more positive stuff like this from Taurus. They totally have it within their grasp to rebuild their company and reputation, with sales and performance winners like the G2 and G2C, class action over. Game time for Taurus now. Make or Break Baby. :cool:

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I think you are dead on with that assessment. The G2 series is a hit with gun buyers wanting a compact 9mm CCW that holds 10+ rounds and won't break the bank. Every article I've read (and utoob vids) is glowing about the G2's but always ends with the caveat "but it IS a Taurus." Hopefully Taurus realizes this and has decided to ramp up not only QC/QA on the G2 line but also after-purchase customer support. Taurus has a golden opportunity to rebuilt their semi-auto reputation with the G2 line as the cornerstone.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yep, size, weight, capacity, ergos, two magazines, build quality pretty damn near great for price point. It's a solid weapon, and in my opinion, now rules this class it kinda entered late in the game. Name one gun in this class that does what this gun does.

Glock 19? Sure, it's also a larger class (2.5 times the price). Glock 26? Sure, less ammo and less hand purchase on that little thing, and awful ergos (Also, 2.5 times.. eh screw it :D)

Sig P365? also a lot more at $5-600. :D Love my Rugers, but the SR9C is heavy, less ammo, and larger. :(

Just gotta fix stuff like the rear sight screw loosening over time, which I caught on mine and loctited. They got rid of the TSS which is a great first move for this model. Getting ridda lifetime warranty hurt, but hopefully they're gonna just fix stuff even after that. Ruger has no "warranty"; they just cover stuff pretty much forever, on a case by case basis. If it's their gun and their manu defect, even YEARS later, they'll fix it forever.

Sorry, thread hijack over.

Reactions: Dan51

·
Registered
297 Posts
I shot steel case with no breakage, luckily it was an easy fix. I used the USA forged Winchester brown box stuff that got stuck in my S&W 469 barrel and needed tools to coax back out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is precisely the ammo I bought...... NEVER AGAIN MY FRIEND

Reactions: Dan51

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yep. I've never had issues with Tula steel, but I've heard too many (10+) horror stories with Winchester Forged Steel Garbage ammo. I'm done with Winchester, period. Their ammunition has had visible and operational QC issues for me, for years. Federal. Again, Federal. Never seen an issue with one, and I don't even believe I've ever had a Federal/AE round jam up any of my handguns or my AR. I've had a jam or two with WWB NATO 124, and a jam or two with Rem 115 gr JHP big box.

To each their own. No Winchester here for me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've run next to no steel in my firearms, for the same reasons. I didn't have issues, but didn't wanna push it too far, either.

Brass is the only way to go. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Aluminum also worked for me when I was in a pinch. I shoot my EDC guns for that month at least 1 time monthly.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had ZERO issues with the Tula steel case but from now on I will refrain from purchasing steel.

I have used the aluminum case ammo in my Pt111g2, M&P .40,9 and my Glock 22 and 19 with ZERO issues and it was very clean ammo at that..

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I shot steel case with no breakage, luckily it was an easy fix. I used the USA forged Winchester brown box stuff that got stuck in my S&W 469 barrel and needed tools to coax back out.
Yeah, about the only pistols I have, that will reliably cycle that Winchester Forge ammo, are my Glocks. I don't buy any steel cased for my guns anymore, and will "slowly" work my way through the stock of steel cased I have. Oh, I still buy 7.62x39mm steel though.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Neither of the clubs where I am a member allow steel. Never shot it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
They probably don't allow steel core or steel tipped ammo. I've never heard of a club not allowing steel case, copper and lead core rounds. I could be mistaken.

Of course keep buying 7.62x39 in steel. Comm Bloc weapons were designed to run the stuff. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah, about the only pistols I have, that will reliably cycle that Winchester Forge ammo, are my Glocks. I don't buy any steel cased for my guns anymore, and will "slowly" work my way through the stock of steel cased I have. Oh, I still buy 7.62x39mm steel though.
Yep my gen 3 G17 shoots it fine but my SCCY CPX 2 at the time did not now I remember. I wonder how gen 5 17/19/45 and it's Match Barrel" would hold out?

They probably don't allow steel core or steel tipped ammo. I've never heard of a club not allowing steel case, copper and lead core rounds. I could be mistaken.

Of course keep buying 7.62x39 in steel. Comm Bloc weapons were designed to run the stuff. :)
We have ranges that only want brass and then we have ones that forbid head shots at targets. The range I go to is in between on the rules of both. If only I had a piece of land in the right part of the state, it wouldn't matter how I shot the gun...

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Yep my gen 3 G17 shoots it fine but my SCCY CPX 2 at the time did not now I remember. I wonder how gen 5 17/19/45 and it's Match Barrel" would hold out?

We have ranges that only want brass and then we have ones that forbid head shots at targets. The range I go to is in between on the rules of both. If only I had a piece of land in the right part of the state, it wouldn't matter how I shot the gun...
Well, yeah. ComBloc guns I will run steel cased through...I meant everything else.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
********UPDATE ********

A week has gone by and the back plate for my G2 slide has not shown up yet. I decided to give Taurus a call. The gentleman I spoke with looked up my order and apologized for the delay with my part.
Apparently, it is inventory time at Taurus so nothing had been shipped out last week. I was advised that my part was shipped yesterday and provided the USPS tracking #.
Thankfully my G2 is NOT out of commission or I would have an issue with time.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The slide cap showed up today while I was at work. Still unsure of how the original broke either way the replacement is here.
Thank you Taurus
20181116_162550_1542414895568.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts