Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first firing of the PT1911 was all good...except for the Heine straight 8 sights. I know, I know, everyone raves about them and all, but it's got to be a personal thing. At 15 yard I have some really good 1.5 inch shot groups, but their all lower left middle between the 6'oclock and 8'oclock. This would mean that I'm either slapping the trigger or pushing during the firing sequence, but one would think that in 200 rds., I'd get it right at least a couple of times.
I have aging eyes, so when looking down the barrel I did find it hard to get the "figure 8" sight picture, but all the more to probably look at replacing them (sights not eyes).
A thorough google for Taurus PT1911 sights only gave me 1 hit...
http://store.ptnightsights.com/inde...id=96&parent=26

Even though I bought this for IDPA and not self defense, I'd still like to have a good set of night sights since the enhanced glow I believe will help with target acquisition. So, it now becomes a debate TruGlo versus Trijicon. It is my understanding that Trijicons work well in low/no-light, but are less visible in daylight. The TruGlo appear to be the better all around day/night sights, of course there are the traditional sights which I'll admit to knowing very little. There is the "old-school" of keeping up with the past and just using what John Moses Browning gave us, but I like to think that if he were alive today he'd still be enhancing his design and it's component parts (please send death threats to...BR549.com.... ;D )
What are your thoughts and do you have any links we can view?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If you plain on using it for day time shooting most of the time I would look into getting a set of Williams Firesights,

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/pistol.htm ( you can order them in all green, all red or a combo of colors if you call them directly)

I just put them on my 27/4 and during the day time or in doors with the lights on they are bright and I mean BRIGHT. The pictures do not do them justice. You might want to have someone who has both a 24/7 or Mil Pro with the dove tails and a PT1911 to measure them if they have the proper tool to do so. I do not have a way to measure the done tails on mine or I would know already it they were the same.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Realize that the 24/7 and the MilPro are both flat top slides. However, the PT1911 has an offset which puts the rear sight lower than the others. Because of this the Williams sights, etc which are designed to work on the same level. Be cautious about presuming that sights which work great with the 24/7 or MilPro will work well with the PT1911.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been trying for weeks to locate after market sights for the PT1911...no luck. The closest thing I have found are on the STI 1911s but again, they are not quite the same. I have been trading emails with a couple of sight manufacturers and they tell me that although the PT1911 sights are Heinie licensed they are not the same dovetail measurements as Heinie.

Right now I am considering 2 options; one, buy the sights that have a similar dovetail a bit larger) and modify the sight to fit the frame, and the other option is to have the slide machined to use standard sights (this would be the preferred choice).

Personally it seems like a poor choice to manufacturer a sight mount that is unnecessarily unique. I don't have a lot of money to spend on this PT1911 so I may try to fit sights to the slide.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The biggest problem I see from PT Night Sights is that they only offer the GREEN in the front blade. I set up my sights for my pistols with orange up front and green in the rear. It would be nice if they offered something similar.

·
Registered
101 Posts
1SourceWeb said:
The biggest problem I see from PT Night Sights is that they only offer the GREEN in the front blade. I set up my sights for my pistols with orange up front and green in the rear. It would be nice if they offered something similar.
I have read somewhere that "colors" other than GREEN in Tritium sights are not as bright, and don't maintain their glow for as long. Anyone else heard this too?

·
Registered
24 Posts
As hard as I am on things if they last 5 years I'll be happy. I will probably break them 1st. Green isn't really brighter it's just the best seen color in the spectrum for the human eye.

·
Registered
846 Posts
As it has been told in here before it depends on the weight of the bullet, heavier shoots higher, believe it or not. My PT an 24/7 both shoot great with 180 gr. .40 may just be mine.
I found out along time ago and allot my disagree, some guns like a certian weight bullett.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gholcomb said:
I have read somewhere that "colors" other than GREEN in Tritium sights are not as bright, and don't maintain their glow for as long. Anyone else heard this too?
no ive had my glock 17 set up with my front yellow and rear green and never noticed a diffrence...except now as they have finally died 14 yrs .....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks Airborne! At $90 that is affordable for me... looks like Christmas might be a good one for my 1911! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts