Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced parts on their PT 1911? I'm thinkin of changing out my guide rod, hammer, thumb safety for starters. Are there any issues with using any of these parts. I've been looking at Wilson Combat and Fusion parts. I'd like to hear what some of you guys have gone through to change out factory parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep, I changed out the main spring housing with a Smith and Alexander magwell, Put a STI thumb safety on, Shooting star mags. Pachmayr grips with more to come.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wanting one of those S&A magwells. What all did you have to do to get it to fit?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Converted both my Pt1911's to model 70's. Replaced all ignition parts with Wilson Combat. Hammers replaced with Ed Browns. Some parts do require fitting and were not straight drop ins. Next on the agenda will be tritium sights for both pistols. Best of luck in your quest.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I put in a Wilson trigger, sear, hammer, guide rod and pin. They all dropped right in. The slide stop sticks out a little further than the original does, but it's not bad. The extended release does help with my small hands a lot beter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The S&A magwell dropped right in thankfully as well as the STI standard thumb safety. What I am interested in is doing the series 70 conversion that sbb performed.
Doc

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Doc, check on Brownell's website for the shim to use in the conversion. If I remember correctly it was less than $5.00. I learned that you must partially depress the firing pin plunger to remove the extractor and firing pin. Be careful that the firing pin spring doesn't shoot across the room. Also the plunger spring is quite small and may require the use of a pick to remove from the cavity. All in all a quite easy operation. If no one on the forum has the part number of the shim, I will look it up this evening when I return home.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Doc, I found the part number. It is 876-011-780 . The cost was $4.25 each. I ordered a few extras, just in case I purchase more 1911's ;) .

·
Registered
98 Posts
I purchased a dual recoil spring to slow down the wear on the frame...... Bought it from EFKFIREDRAGON.Com. Use them on my PT92AF and both my PT1911's, works great !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts