Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as most of you know, I am a Taurus fan all the way.
All of my Tauri shoot smooth, and have never had a problem.
Went to shoot the PT145 today, and after I arrived home I noticed something,
2 dimples at the back of the grip, one on each side?
I believe mine is a gen 3, and thought this problem was old hat, but
I have to ask, maybe I didn't notice these when I bought it new, are those
dimples generally there? If not, should I not worry much about it, or
maybe drill 2 small holes to re leave the frame/grip so it doesn't crack?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Drilling holes might void the lifetime warranty. I wouldn't do it.

Reactions: loudviking

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, here is what I am thinking, I just noticed it and I am anal
about my firearms, which tells me it started today.
So I am going to remove the frame rail and round off the square edge
some, and see how it goes. Thought's?

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Are you referring to the elongated "dimples" under the safety on the left side and TSS on the right??? If so, that's normal and molded into body/grip.

·
Administrator
40,287 Posts
I'll call them pimples, as the ones on my gun are raised and quite small. They were there six years ago when I bought it, and after 3,000+ rounds, they are still there without any problems.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know what, this is the best site I have ever been on!
Thank you guy's for answering so quickly, likes spread to all....
Also discovered something else, I love my PT145, and if I can fix it myself, that's
what I am going to do, don't want it taking a trip without me.
So,after looking at it, I went to work,removed the rail from the from the frame and found
NOTHING WRONG. No cracking in the frame what so ever,but, while I was there I used 2000 grit to
smooth the back of the rail, then I pulled the trigger assy apart and cleaned.
Put it back together and Damn, that trigger is smooth.
In closing, my partner is fine, and working better.
Damn I love my Pro45....;)

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Not to worry. I believe to qualify to be a Taurus owner requires your being OCD. LOL

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
After cleaning and reassembling my 111 I noticed on the back of the slide an empty spot next to the striker. I asked myself is there something missing? Did I drop same small black piece? I didn't disassemble the slide so I was confused.
Then I remembered I took a few pictures when I was worried about the low/left issue. Scanning my computer I found the picture from the rear. It showed an open area to the left of the striker and below it. Almost like parts were missing.
So the problem was in my brain like normal.

Cheap digital pictures are our friend. It allows us to see the world the way it really was instead of how we remembered it.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
My PT145's got the dimples too, and they've been there since day 1. It's got 2400 rounds through it so far, and about 1/3rd of those were +P. No cracks, and I don't expect any.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After cleaning and reassembling my 111 I noticed on the back of the slide an empty spot next to the striker. I asked myself is there something missing? Did I drop same small black piece? I didn't disassemble the slide so I was confused.
Then I remembered I took a few pictures when I was worried about the low/left issue. Scanning my computer I found the picture from the rear. It showed an open area to the left of the striker and below it. Almost like parts were missing.

Cheap digital pictures are our friend. It allows us to see the world the way it really was instead of how we remembered it.
Too funny! I did the same exact thing last week. Spent an hour on Google looking for images. Sweat pumps were on high for a few!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts

That little slot to the left of the plastic dust cover is to accommodate the ejector. You can easily see the ejector with the slide removed - it sticks up from the frame on the rear-left part of the frame. If that slot wasn't there, the slide wouldn't move back.

Some folks seem to think that handguns are hermetically sealed, but that's just not the case. The only part of the weapon that seals is the chamber, and that's only sealed when the weapon is actually firing. I've seen people freak out over being able to see light between the slide and frame, and that's not a big deal either. But with firearms it's always prudent to ask about stuff you don't know. Considering the potential liability, there are definitely no stupid questions when it comes to firearms.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts