Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After paying $50.00 for a box of 45ACP, I decided it was past time to dig out my reloading equipment from storage and start reloading again. This stuff has been stored in a army footlocker since 1997, dry but not temp controlled. In the box was an unopened box of 1000 Winchester large pistol primers. Now, I think I already know what you guys are going to recommend, but I'll throw it by you anyway. My reloads are not for hunting or self defense, only pinking. I'll be loading 38/357, 45ACP, and 45Colt. Should I just discard the primers, or use them?? If I used them, I'd expect less than perfect performance. What say you?? Thanks in advance! - and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just started reloading and asked about primer life-expectancy because i was interested in purchasing 9000+ primers. Everyone that replied said that the primers would last well longer than it would take me to shoot that many rounds. Several of the posters stated that they have used primers that were 20+ years old. Is say load a few and test them out!!

Reactions: stickem2

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I have primers and powder that I bought in 1985 that is still as good as new. I'm not sure just how long you could keep powder and primers but if stored properly they will last a very long time. I haven't had a problem with any of this old stuff and I have some 38 spl reloads that I loaded in 1985 that still shoot like new.

·
Registered
347 Posts
They are no good and not safe for you to dispose of! I am trained in such things so send them to me and I'll take care of it for you, no charge.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
36,099 Posts
Darn it k4swb, you beat me to it! :D

My advice, load those little boogers up!

Reactions: bubblehead

·
Super Moderator
17,723 Posts
It's unlikely to be dangerous, but since they were not stored under temperature controlled conditions for 15 years (!!!) they may be unreliable. Load a box, watch for squibs, but most likely at the worst you will get some erratic ignition or lots of failure to fires. I'd give it a shot (pun, pun, pun) with light to moderate loads in the .45's. Of course large pistol won't work for .38/.357.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'm going to try a few - sure won't hurt. I'm kind of dreading this because it's just like starting all over again.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Down here in the beautiful south humidity can get high. Even with that I have powder and primers from back in the 70's that is fine. Load some loads you know the velocity on and shoot them across a chrony. Unless velocity is off noticeably I wouldn't worry. With out a chrony shoot groups at 50 yards with your 45 and look for vertical stringing. They are probably fine.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Burn them, in a gun of course!

Make sure to use a good reloading manual for a reference too!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts