Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking for advice on handgun that my friend is selling. My friend is selling his Taurus PT-145 Millennium for $300. I've been looking at getting my CPL for quite some time. I've also been looking at getting something new, but the price is so good that I don't know if I can pass it up. It's a great size for me and I think a .45 would be perfect for defensive carry.

I have been drawn to Glocks as well, but I don't know much about Taurus. Does anybody have any suggestions? Is this a good price for this model?

AF

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I think this is one of the models that is part of a lawsuit and or recall. You may want to wait until another member here who knows for sure can advise you. Hold off if you can, form what I understand, Taurus is only offering like $200.00 if you send it in. Check it out before you buy.

Also, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Welcome from Missouri! I'm sure you'll get great advice here about it. See if there is a range near you that rents guns and have your friend meet you there with it and get rent a glock. Shoot them both to get a feel for what you like. If you like both, let price then decide you next step or get both. :D

Reactions: mingaa

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know for sure, but I think this is one of the models that is part of a lawsuit and or recall. You may want to wait until another member here who knows for sure can advise you. Hold off if you can, form what I understand, Taurus is only offering like $200.00 if you send it in. Check it out before you buy.

Also, welcome to the forum.
What is the lawsuit/recall? Do you have any other info on this? Thank you for the advice! I was seriously considering picking it up later this week but I might hold off a bit knowing this.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I saw a Taurus PT709 and PT740 Slim for $299.00 at Cabelas, brand new. Since they are single stack they conceal really well. You could also get the TCP380 which is light and smaller for under $200.00. It is a .380cal but I am sure would not make anyone's day.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The other posters are right, this is one the guns involved in the class action settlement:
If You Own a Taurus Pistol A Settlement Has Been Proposed in a Class Action Lawsuit that Alleges Safety Defects

WHO’S INCLUDED?
You may be a Settlement Class Member and have rights under this settlement if you are a resident or entity of the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, or Guam and own one or more of the following Taurus-branded firearms on July 30, 2015: PT-111 Millennium; PT-132 Millennium; PT-138 Millennium; PT-140 Millennium; PT-145 Millennium; PT-745 Millennium; PT-609; PT-640; and PT-24/7 (the “Class Pistols”).[SUP]2[/SUP] The settlement doesn’t include Taurus G2 model pistols.

·
Premium Member
14,019 Posts
If you want a .45 acp, might I suggest the Glock 30S. It holds 10 in the magazine and one in the chamber. It will also except 13 round magazines from the Mod. 21 Glock, which are good to carry as a back up magazine. Had mine on today.
https://us.glock.com/products/model/g30s

Reactions: mingaa and FreeInAZ

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
I'll answer your questions. Yes. As far as advice, do your research. I carry a PT145MilPro, have done my research on the lawsuit, and won't 1) stop carrying the gun and 2) send it back to Taurus for replacement. Mine does not have safety issues, and I don't drop my guns.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I saw a Taurus PT709 and PT740 Slim for $299.00 at Cabelas, brand new. Since they are single stack they conceal really well. You could also get the TCP380 which is light and smaller for under $200.00. It is a .380cal but I am sure would not make anyone's day.
I CC a PT-709 Slim in a pocket holster made to look like a "fat wallet" This has worked really well during the summer months... wearing cargo shorts. I purchased my PT-709 at Cabelas (Hamburg, PA) and got a sweet deal. I owned a Glock 19 and 21... they are quality pistols. The advantage of Glock... you have more performance parts, accessories and holsters available.

·
Banned
390 Posts
Hi all,

I am looking for advice on handgun that my friend is selling. My friend is selling his Taurus PT-145 Millennium for $300. I've been looking at getting my CPL for quite some time. I've also been looking at getting something new, but the price is so good that I don't know if I can pass it up. It's a great size for me and I think a .45 would be perfect for defensive carry.

have been drawn to Glocks as well, but I don't know much about Taurus. Does anybody have any suggestions? Is this a good price for this model?

AF
I would opt for a new G2 .Or a new 24/7. Prices right now are super low.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
Good advice already given.

Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And they say Taurus has bad customer service! HA!

Yesterday I came on to the forum to ask some advice about a Taurus PT-145 for a concealed carry. Unfortunately, this particular model was a part of a recall. I did some further research into it because my friend was the one who tried selling the handgun to me. He also didn't know about the recall.

After some research on the interwebs, I found that Taurus has an exchange program where they will replace everyone's defective handgun at no charge. How many companies would do that?! I think this speaks to the high level of customer service that Taurus owners receive. It is rare to find a company that cares that much about their customers.

There is also a website where you can signup to receive more information on the settlement.

https://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/register/

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
“The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country.”
– James Madison

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Yup! Taurus is miles ahead of other companies when it comes to supporting their customers. So that means you could get it for next to nothing then send it in for something better. Win, win! :D

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Personally, I would go the route of a new firearm, especially considering the pending lawsuit/settlement involving the milpros. I suggest looking into the 24/7 G2 compact or the 700 series. If you want a compact 45, the only Taurus offering is the 24/7 compact at this point.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Yup! Taurus is miles ahead of other companies when it comes to supporting their customers.

Unless you simply need parts. Then most other manufacturers win hands down.

And if it's going to take six months to get that replacement pistol how good is that
service really?

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I found a link where you can signup for more information on the exchange.

https://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/register/
The Taurus recall program has been discussed in detail on this forum. There is even a thread where members are tracking the time their recall firearms are being processed. I know the recall website states what is happening, what is does not disclose it the length of time it will take from when you send you firearm in and when you will get your new pistol/refund back.
The Taurus recall is so large that Taurus has been overwhelmed. They do not have the man power to handle the processing in a timely manner. Chats to customer service turn into an exercise of frustration. And once they inspect your firearm and decide to replace it, there are no replacement firearms in stock. So you have to wait your turn to have Taurus manufacture and ship new firearms from Brazil.
Expect a wait time somewhere between 6-12 months for the whole process to occur but do not expect notifications updates from Taurus.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.