Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have aquired two PT38Ss and a PT945, all of which I quite like. I think I would like to collect the rest of the family and wondered if anyone had advice for someone like me at the beginning of this quest. Any pitfalls to avoid, advice on pricing, good sources that you're willing to share etc. Also I've been researching PT957s; are they all ported from the factory? It seems counter productive to select for a hot round and then vent the gas before it completes the job but I've never seen one that wasn't ported. Thanks in advance for any help y'all can render

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
PT957s are all factory ported. I have two of them and almost the rest of the 900 family. Check gunbroker daily and gunauction also. The 957 will be your hardest to find as they only surface about once maybe twice a year. It will also be your most expensive. Expect $550-600 for it. The rest can be found under $400 if you wait for the right deals. You already have the second hardest to find in the 38s. Best line of Tauri ever produced and biggest mistake Taurus has ever made when they discontinued the series 5 years ago.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I have an oddity 945, I have yet to find another one that's factory ported. While some may not like the porting, it's definitely an eye catcher at the range with flames shooting out the top and knocking snow off the eaves of the range canopy.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I may try to collect the series, as I already have the 945 and 909. What other ones are in the pt9xx series? Oh I know they will just wind up in the wife's safe, as they have taken to biting me more than they used to, but there's something to be said for owning the whole family.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
I have an oddity 945, I have yet to find another one that's factory ported. While some may not like the porting, it's definitely an eye catcher at the range with flames shooting out the top and knocking snow off the eaves of the range canopy.
My sister has the factory ported 945. I just don't like the plastic guide rods that come with it. I got a ported 945 slide assembly to go on mine of of ebay for under $50.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
I may try to collect the series, as I already have the 945 and 909. What other ones are in the pt9xx series? Oh I know they will just wind up in the wife's safe, as they have taken to biting me more than they used to, but there's something to be said for owning the whole family.
Lets see:

PT908
PT909
PT911
PT917
PT938
PT940
PT945
PT957
PT38S
I also consider the PT58 part of the 900s.

Also if you want to get into CAI imported there's the PT915 which is the exact same as the 911 but produced for other countries.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PT957s are all factory ported. I have two of them and almost the rest of the 900 family. Check gunbroker daily and gunauction also. The 957 will be your hardest to find as they only surface about once maybe twice a year. It will also be your most expensive. Expect $550-600 for it. The rest can be found under $400 if you wait for the right deals. You already have the second hardest to find in the 38s. Best line of Tauri ever produced and biggest mistake Taurus has ever made when they discontinued the series 5 years ago.
Thanks for the fast response Magnum_Guage. I find the 900 series has that same quality feel as older 35mm cameras when they were almost all metal. Although the newer cameras are lighter, more capable, digital etc. there is just something lacking in the feel of the device. I find a similar response on my part to the feel of a polymer handgun. I do own several for their practicality as EDC but they're not something I would collect. For anyone else interested in going this route, Magnum_Guage is on target about the difficulty of finding a nice PT38S and finding extra magazines (which as far as I know were never made aftermarket) is even harder. I paid btw $35 and $80 for mine trolling ebay, and saw some go for over $100 so if extra mags are part of a deal when buying a PT38S I would be comfortable paying a higher price

Reactions: Magnum_Gauge

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
HMmmmmmmmm, I used to own one or two of those 900 Series pistols. I also consider the PT92/99/100/101/101P to be a member of that Series as they were all based and compared as being from the same blood line,

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
HMmmmmmmmm, I used to own one or two of those 900 Series pistols. I also consider the PT92/99/100/101/101P to be a member of that Series as they were all based and compared as being from the same blood line,
Traitor:mad:

·
Registered
190 Posts

My blued PT945 is factory ported a well.

·
Registered
36,332 Posts
OK! so maybe the odd one is the one that's NOT ported then!--------:bang:

Reactions: jonrjen and Montkun

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
My sister has the factory ported 945. I just don't like the plastic guide rods that come with it. I got a ported 945 slide assembly to go on mine of of ebay for under $50.
It had a plastic guide rod? That almost sounds like someone replaced it with a Beretta 92/96 guide rod because Taurus wouldn't sell them one.

Reactions: Magnum_Gauge

·
Registered
24,616 Posts
Yeah, just buy them all.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
The earlier PT945 pistols did come with the plastic guide rod. I almost didn't sell one because of that very issue, but after some quick deep research I found out it was the OEM part for that year and model.
Luckily the ported slide assembly I got came with a metal one:D

·
Registered
36,332 Posts
The earlier PT945 pistols did come with the plastic guide rod. I almost didn't sell one because of that very issue, but after some quick deep research I found out it was the OEM part for that year and model.
Seems the polymer guide rod is a big dislike for many.
Test have pretty much concluded however that they are just as durble as a metal rod, plus they will bend and bounce back, not like a metal rod.
most all new combat type pistols have poly guide rods and they run thousands and thousands of rounds without seeing need for replacement If ever.
also some ALLOY framed weapons use a the polymer guide rod to avoid wearing out the frame with the metal guide rod eating them up during firing cycle.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Mine is from 2000 and has a metal guide rod, guess it's whatever they have available is what went in the gun.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Get a 92 that's where it all started after all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts