Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a little pawn shopping today. I came across a Smith model 64 38+P, Stainless version of the model 10. I inspected the revolver. I give the finish a 9 out of 10! Nice! The trigger was tight as well as the hammer. The cylinder locked up well and had subtle bit of end play but acceptable none the less. No flame cutting. Forcing cone looked good as well as the bore and crown. Safely assume probably pretty low round count. Two things kept me from impulse buying. The cylinder opens a little rough sticking a little, possibly might need a bolt spring? It seems to catch a little at the ejector after I hit the thumb release. The other issue was the B/C clearance. The gap was between roughly .008 and .010 in full lock up for each cylinder. I actually measured it about three times until the clerk started making uh oh faces LOL. Honestly the gun may be close to new and still need some breaking in, but the B/C gap was ouch, a little wide. Maybe this is common for this model or the more service oriented Smith revolvers like the model 64. Any S&W guys out there that could chime in? They are asking $300 and THIS is a good deal, unless it's way out of spec.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's what I was thinking MoonDawg! I had that little impulse chill up the spine, but part of me said wait you're broke remember! LOL! I am going to put $100 down on it next week with and a matter fact air, without showing my excitement. Ooh it was sooo perrrrty!

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
The model 64 is almost identical to a stainless Taurus 82. Great guns, they are typically Brinks trade-ins or something like that. Shot little and carried alot, which makes the stainless finish a Godsend.

Grab it, if you want a really good 38 special self defense or range gun.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you think about the B/C clearances being greater than .007? Not a big deal, or maybe?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Buy it!! The price is good.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Buy it....did someone else say that also ???? run ...

A K Frame 38 is a needed staple in everones dresser drawer....I'm sure that is a law somewhere ..maybe the 11th Commandment or 15th..
I'm sure i read it ..or heard it...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have read over and over that barrel to cylinder clearance above .008 is unacceptable, especially here at this site. I want a Smith and the price is right but I refuse to get another crappy out of tolerance revolver, I am already dealing with tolerance issues with my two Taurus revolvers and need one really good revovler. I refuse to buy another gun only to start shipping it madly around the country to get it functioning correctly. So instead of saying buy it let me know what your thoughts are about the B/C clearance and then I can make a determination. 4 of the 6 cylinders bores were .010 and two were .008 in full lock up, is this something that will cause problems? Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
My experience is that cylinder gap has less of a negative impact than an improperly cut forcing cone, or a barrel that is not cut straight at the end. The binding of the cylinder when it is swinging out is a minor problem, usually the screw that holds the joke in is not properly fitted, same with the bolt not releasing the cylinder smoothly.

If you want to learn more about S&W revolvers and how to perform work on them, the Jerry Kuhnhausen shop manual is a great source of info!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Why don't we see pics of this thing yet???

Or does it take that long for them to upload from 2,000 light years away....

My feelings on the cylinder to bore gap are that if you want a tight shooting target or hunter gun that you want to max out your pressure then you need one with a gap of at least .005", but for a shooter and a low pressure shooter like a .38 special then a .008" gap doesn't scare me at all. If the action is still functional tight then I would have snapped it up at that price. I paid more than that for an original 64 with the tapered barrel and would do it all over again. If I saw a heavy barrel 64 for that price and in that condition then I would snap it up in a heart beat.

Mine:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Maximumbob,

that is a nice and clean revolver. I have a S&W M65 on my desk here with me and love the balance and action on this HB K-frame. I bought it when there were still plenty of police trade ins and got it for a laughable amount in a trade for Glock hicap mags during the ban. It looked kind of rough but I cleaned it up and have put scratches and wear on it since then.

I am sponsoring one of my sons to get a M10 HB round butt now. I got some very nice S&W finger grooved combats and Nills for it.

My 65, I love it!

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I would definitely say buy it! I wish I had a decent means of measuring the cylinder gap on mine just to compare them. I'm not sure I'd shoot +p other than for SD. Mine is an older model and not rated for +P.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why don't we see pics of this thing yet???

Or does it take that long for them to upload from 2,000 light years away....

My feelings on the cylinder to bore gap are that if you want a tight shooting target or hunter gun that you want to max out your pressure then you need one with a gap of at least .005", but for a shooter and a low pressure shooter like a .38 special then a .008" gap doesn't scare me at all. If the action is still functional tight then I would have snapped it up at that price. I paid more than that for an original 64 with the tapered barrel and would do it all over again. If I saw a heavy barrel 64 for that price and in that condition then I would snap it up in a heart beat.

Mine:

Hah someone finally picked up on the Kepler 11 location LOL. I am actually in Georgia and the firearm is at the pawnshop I saw it at. I work 7 days a week and am in graduate school(which no longer means anything but almost done). The pawn shop is not on my current route so I have to steel away one day. I also have to wait to get paid this week. Bottom line if it is still there when I get there this weekend I'll put the first note down on it. If I don't get it, it wasn't meant to be. Unfortunately my M85 was on it's way back to Miami last Saturday becuase the guy was ready to trade + a little cash that day. He said the snubbies sell quick and he wanted the M85. If I had the 85 it would have happened. Go figure.........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts