Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Advice needed on a 82

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Tslepebull 
#1 ·
Found a great looking model 82 (on one side)..blued 4 inch version at the LGS ..problem was when i handled the gun I found the other side of the gun was badly pitted toward the muzzle and on the crane,,badly pitted..the gunshop owner said it must have been stored in a wet holster, maybe...but the action was silky smooth ..I mean very smooth and the gun was very tight..the grips looked as new..the bore was very clean and shiny...this is not a military trade in ,, The gun was priced at 185.00 got them to 145.00 OTD 13.50 would be tax and 10.00 is for background check..122.00 is what they would get...seem like it would be a great project gun..barrel bobbed off a bit ...and such...a good work gun...

What should I do...???? seems like a great knock around piece...???

#2 ·
Sure. If you're willing to put in the time, it would be a great project piece. I agree, think about bobbing the barrel to about 3 inches, maybe bobbing the hammer, and lightening up the trigger pull with new springs.....the rust and pitting is just cosmetic and you should be able to take care of that with some work.

#3 ·
Make sure the innards are in good overall working order and there is another way to go if you want a project or a better used 82.
J&G Sales has these and they are in overall better shape. 25-2815xq Taurus 82 model, 38Special caliber Revolver with 4 inch barrel, Used, Good Condition. $149.95

#4 ·
149.00 + shipping 20.00ish ? =169.00 = transfer fee 25.00 =194.00 = 10.00 TN back ground charge =204.00 thats for pot luck...

the gun i'm looking at has one of the most smoothest factory actions I've seen ..on any revolver..the LGS owner agrees...

but thanks for the heads up...

#5 ·
It seems like it could be a good project for the price -- go for it! As long as the action is good, the crown and bore are good, you don't have much to worry about. The crane too can be replaced easily enough. As to the rust, check out this video for a product called Blue Wonder (MidwayUSA & Brownells carry it). It is supposed to (along with a #4 steel wool) take rust and pits out of metal w/o messing with the finish:

Blue Wonder Gun Care Products - Part Two - YouTube

#6 ·
Sounds like you got a good deal on a good truck/utility gun.

As long as it locks up tight, has a smooth action and crisp bore...that's all you need.

The rest is just window dressing.

Don't know of any bad guy than ran off just because the good guy was holding a "purdy and expensive" gun.
;)

#9 ·
Buy it and shoot it! If I could get that deal, id grab it.

#12 ·
Just think, go to the range your next to a guy with a $800 top end revolver pull out the rusty pitted Tauri and put him to shame to the point where he takes his gun to a gunsmith becuase he can't figure out how the guy with the crappy revolver out shot him. I am pretty sure those older Taurus revolvers pre-MIM were hand finished. Every one that I have ever picked up at a gun shop have always had a sweet action.

#13 ·
I was at the range yesterday in the stall next to a guy with a real natty looking S&W model-15. I don't think there was any finish left on it at all; mostly pitting and brown patina. He was drawing from a concealment holster and absolutely punching the center out of the target rapid fire at 7 yards. The moral of this story is that finish is not everything.

I actually have an M82 that sounds very similar to the one you have looked at in my bedside table; I sleep well at night. For what it is worth I think I paid $200 for mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.