Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Advice needed: New .22 for the wife

3K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  Grimm 
#1 ·
I am looking at getting my wife a .22 cal semi-auto pistol. I have narrowed it down to 3 models: the Sig Mosquito, the Walther P22 or the Ruger SR22. Does anyone have any advice or experience with these weapons? Suggestions or recommendations? Horror stories? I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

#3 ·
I like the P22 and SR22 but I heard the Sig was having some issues don't know if those were resolved but I would get the Walther or Ruger before the Sig. and they are all priced about the same.

#4 ·
Yeah, a range fun/varmint/plinking gun. I heard some things about the Sig as well, but those stories were a few years old. Thanks for that.

#5 ·
Sig - check recent reviews and see. Personally I'd look at longer barrels. I shoot a borrowed SR 22 regularly but will buy in the 5-6" barrel range for myself.

Reactions: Sekol
#6 ·
Have the Walther, great little gun, the Ruger is nice, and very similar as you know, but I'd get the Walther, if the mag release suits you.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the input. I should mention this will be her first gun. She has been around guns a bit, but never been a shooter but wants to learn. The mag release on the Walther is the European style? Flips down from the trigger guard. I could get used to it and I'm sure, being a noob, she could too.

#8 ·
European style, is now as you said the trigger guard, well for Walther & a couple of others I think. Use to be the heel release, which I rather liked. Good luck on whatever you decide, & let's hope you can find one plus the ammo. Keep us posted :D

#11 ·
I bought my wife a Sig Mosquito and it's a very nice shooter. Just remember for all of these semi-auto guns, that you'll need to use the higher velocity ammo like Stinger and Yellow Jacket during the break-in period. I suspect that once it loosens up some, I'll be able to use regular 22 range ammo in it. When I attempted to do this the first time I took it out, every few rounds it would not cycle. But when I switched back to the good stuff, it ran like a champ. So I'll probably use my Yellow Jackets for 500 rounds or so, then see if the regular ammo works better.

#12 ·
I am a female type and actually prefer revolvers but for my 2 cents worth - check out the Taurus PT22 - it's tons of fun, and the tip up barrel is nice so you don't have to rack the thing!! Also - I have a little bit older S &W 422 (you might be able to get a previously owned one) - I love how it fits in my smaller hands and the barrel design is kinda cool - doesn't flip very much! I agree with mingaa - the longer barrel is more rewarding for target shooting. My friend has a cute Mosquito - but it is really quite ammo sensitive. Good luck - let us know what she chooses and keep us posted with pictures and range results!!:)

#13 ·
I have a Bersa 22 for the wife and she loves it. I also have a gsg 1911-22 that is pretty sweet. I recommend something that has some actual sights and a bit of length to it. It will make it a bit easier for your wife and she will have better results with them. And when she is doing good, she will have more fun and want to keep shooting. If you get something with tiny sights on it, she might getfrustrated and get fed up. I feel its all about getting something she can have good results with, not just something cute or that looks good. Set her up for success and she will enjoy it more.

#14 ·
I have the Ruger and love it. The whole family loves it. It has taken any ammo I've put in it, but seems to like Federal, Blazer, and of course CCI mini mags the best. Accurate and fun. If it's her first pistol I would highly recommend it. The safety doubles as a decocker, slide locks back with last round, and has a magazine disconnect. The trigger is nice and the aluminum slide will be easy to rack. One note: the safety is backwards from every other pistol I've touched! You push up to go hot!

#15 ·
I have the Ruger SR 22. Hands down one of my best purchases to date. Look around and with the prices easing you should be able to find one for less than 300 bones. Either of the other pistols you have listed are good choices; and I have spent hours with the Walther (at a local rental/range and for my CCW class). No problems that I noticed. The Sig I have heard bad things about from some people - but no personal experience.

The Ruger was a better fit in my hands. I have put about 100 rounds through this pistol and is dead accurate. Fun to shoot - if you can find .22 LR at the moment. As bluesguy72 said, the safety is reverse and does take some getting used to. If you lived in MN/ND - I would have been more than happy to loan you my pistol (BYO-Ammo!!) for a test-drive.

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun

Whatever you pick - enjoy and do post some pics!

Reactions: JoshNix9
#16 ·
Another thumbs up for the ruger SR22. I use it in my NRA classes. It also has a larger and smaller grip option and eats most .22 reliably. Very fun to shoot and has a mag saftey feature as well, good for noobs. As mentioned the safety is a bit odd as it is up to fire down for safe but not big deal. It's also nice that it has a decocker.

#17 ·
I agree on the PT22. A great little gun. I also REALLY like my Browning Buckmark Camper. Excellent .22. More accurate than I am. Fun to shoot. Found a great deal on it, or I would have gone with the Ruger 22/45. Still, I can't speak highly enough of the camper.

#18 · (Edited)
Had all three at the same time. The Walther will need some tweaking (check youtube), the Sig only seemed to work good on the higher cost CCI's (defeats the purpose of a cheap shooting 22) and the Ruger was designed with the cheap ammo in mind. Mine has gone through the Federal, Winchester, and Blazer bulk ammo without a hitch. The Ruger has cheaper magazines too.

The 22s are the center row. Out of the four I still have the Ruger.

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
And contrary to what most believe, I think it could be a viable self defense weapon. Before some of you laugh, would you want to get shot by a .22? For new or younger shooters it's perfect, and way less intimidating! The Ruger was my first pistol just last summer. I could put 2 or 3 times as many WELL placed shots as fast as i could pull the trigger with the .22 over my 9mm any day!

p.s. The Blackhawk nylon hip holster size 1 fits the Ruger well and is economical.

#20 ·
I agree. I live in a condo/apartment and for now the SR 22 is my go-to-pistol. Loaded and ready on the night stand. Thanks for the heads up on the Blackhawk. Will have to get one the next time, I am at my local Wally World.

Reactions: AZM66
#21 ·
Mine got a Walther P22 and she loves it. No problems at all and she ordered the Pink Camo, so she knows I will not touch it, lol.

Reactions: JoshNix9
#23 ·
Wow ladies and gentlemen. Thanks for all the input. I live in a rural area and have one LGS that I buy from. They carry a decent supply of weapons, but more importantly, let me do a 3 month interest free layaway. I'm a pretty good customer there. They had the Sig but not the others. They DO have the Ruger SR 22 on order and told me they would call me when it comes in. I put the Sig on layaway and will pick up the Ruger as soon as it comes in. That way she'll have a choice and I can always shoot the other. Thanks again for your input!

On a related note, I ordered a Fobus holster for my PT145 a week ago. The website gave the "Due to extreme demand" warning so while I was at the LGS, I picked up a nylon Bulldog to see me through. I just got back from lunch and, lo and behold, there is an e-mail from Fobus saying my holster shipped today. Sometimes you just can't lose for winning! ;)

#26 ·
Daughter and i was just out at the range she got a new taurus P22 it as a breakdown barrel to load shell so you dont have to rack the slide to load but semi after first shot. she was not very happy trigger pull is very hard. Even compared to my PT840C, S&W SD9 or my Hi Point 40.

#27 ·
Out of all of them I've heard bad things about the sig so I wouldn't even bother... I've handled them and they just feel cheap. I had a Walther P22 and it was pretty reliable and I've handled the SR22 and out of the three I like the SR22 the most. It is kinda a Walther copy but has a proper mag release and it just feels well made. The walther is a thin barrel with a liner where the ruger is this heavy stainless bull barrel. The walther has a lighter feeling slide and they work fine just the ruger just has that typical overbuilt ruger feel to it.

#28 ·
If you get the SR 22 some people recommend upgrading the recoil spring and the plastic guide rod.

There was a website out there - I cannot seem to find or remember - that sold upgraded guide rods. Was fairly inexpensive (less than 10 bucks).

#29 ·
my 2cents for what its worth, is based on first hand from 2 friends that own a ruger from one and a walther from the other, no experience with the sig.
The walther was used, the ruger was not, so some of this might be that the walther was used. And i personally got a S&W 22a, but it has a very large grip that might not feel good to your wife, you can get it with a 7" barrel however and with that and a cheap red dot from walmart i can hit a 1.5" swinger at 50 yards 8 out of 10 shots, easy, with no magnification on the red dot, and it also has a full rail for mounting different optics so you can even put a scope on it if you wanted. Down side is, with the 7" barrel its huge, bigger then my pt1911, so you wont be carrying this thing easily, you can get it with a 4 or a 5.5" barrel however, and swapping them takes all of 5 seconds. So now that the shameless plug for my fav 22 pistol is out of the way, on to the reviews of the ones you do care about.

The ruger shoots very well, and next to mine or a ruger mk3, i would say its right there with them, great shooting gun, doesn't have the aftermarket customization that the mk3 does, but then again, what does really. not sure about availability of different barrels and such as the friend that owns it is perfectly happy with it out of the box, at 50 yards with iron sights he is about 50/50 on hitting the same spinner i mentioned above.

The friend with the walther however, hates it, it is the 6" barrel model, the barrel does look to be in good shape, but he cant hit the broad side of a barn with it, when we have shot it as well, the other friend and i agree that it shoots high right, so once aim was adjusted we could at least hit coke cans and closer targets with it, with some level of regularity but even with a pistol vise that my dad has we could not find a sweet spot that would allow it to hit that 50 range spinner at all, tried to hit it with minor adjustments for 100 rounds, and even when we did get it to hit the target, it would not repeat that 2 times in a row ever. the shots were going into the dirt behind the target left, right, top, bottom, nothing consistent at all. But again this was the pre owned of the 3 of ours, and that might have something to do with it. On a personal note, i really did not like how small it was, in my hand 2 fingers were always off the grip.

one other thing to consider is, magazine cost, not sure what the current prices on all of them are, but the S&W were around $18 each when i got mine, the ruger was around $20 and the walther was around $30 according to my friends.

and we all ended up spending about the same amount of money on them, the walther guy was just impatient and got the first one he liked the looks of without doing any research, and then taking a favorite practice of mine, finding a range that rents the one your interested in so you can shoot it before you buy it. always like to do that when possible even if i have to drive an hour or more to get to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.