Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my sights on my M&P shield 45 acp. After a lot of web serching finding it hard to find what i am looking for. May or may not exist yet. Searching for a set of night sights that have a very large red or orange front sight that fills the notch of the rear sight . Figure for a self defense gun want very fast acquisition of the front sight. Had a look at the Big dots but not crazy about the rear sight not having a notch in it.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Have you looked at TruGlo TFX Pro? I've sets with the white outline on the front as well as the orange. The orange stands out great.

Maloy

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
Have you looked at Williams Firesights? I installed a set into my PT140 where they still reside. They are available with green and orange fiber optics and are interchangeable.

Ive got two 1911s with Crimson Trace laser grips which are so bright I don’t even use the stock iron sights anymore.

All my Sigs came with the “Sig Sights” which are tritium based. The P365 came stock with Sig’s “X-ray” sights which are just fancy tritium.

My PT145 came stock with Heine Straight 8s. Not tritium nor any other tech for glow in the dark and I almost swapped them out but I gotta say that acquiring a sight on a target is instantaneous - given that you don’t have to align a front dot into a notch or V groove.

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Try Ameriglo iDots.

·
21,940 Posts
Optics? Like a HUD?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you looked at Williams Firesights? I installed a set into my PT140 where they still reside. They are available with green and orange fiber optics and are interchangeable.

Ive got two 1911s with Crimson Trace laser grips which are so bright I don’t even use the stock iron sights anymore.

All my Sigs came with the “Sig Sights” which are tritium based. The P365 came stock with Sig’s “X-ray” sights which are just fancy tritium.

My PT145 came stock with Heine Straight 8s. Not tritium nor any other tech for glow in the dark and I almost swapped them out but I gotta say that acquiring a sight on a target is instantaneous - given that you don’t have to align a front dot into a notch or V groove.
Have had the Williams on my G2 for several years and work well but my eyes need something a little bigger.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
we are all a bit different and like different things but my Favorite self defense set up is a Warren wide U rear sight in black and a white outline tritium front sight.
my Sig 365 and the Springfield XDS both have excellent tritium sights on them but not particularlly larger than others.

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I'm of the opinion after having looked at dozens of different sights, that probably the best ones for close encounters in a dark environment is the XS 24/7 Tritium Big Dot. Why? At no point will your addled perhaps just waking mind be searching for the front sight and potentially getting confused with the rear. One big glow up front dot and 1 horizontal glow line in the back. Dot the "i" and inside of room size ranges it's going to go exactly where you want it to. It's one of the best reviewed sights systems out there for this purpose, and can work equally well in daylight. Lot's of people have some trouble adjusting to the stacked type sights, but those who get accustomed to them swear by them because they are ultimately easier to see and process.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I've thought about these for my CZ 75 Compact as well as the Shield. A bigger sight might create issues with carry in a holster.

https://www.amazon.com/TRUGLO-Tritium-Fiber-Optic-Handgun-Pistols/dp/B07KR2FDFQ/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_200_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=GKQBGJMBPFG1E1QF6W4V
I just use the TFO's. I can not tell the difference between the TFX and the TFO, except the TFO is much cheaper.

Lately, I have enjoyed AmeriGlo's Suppressor Height trits (tritium and big white dot on front sight only) because they sit up higher, have an almost triangle shape with the big dot front trit sitting on top. These sights are very fast, day or night, but they do require a holster made for them. This is not a problem as I make my own holsters, but you may have a hard time finding a commercial holster that fits.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
I hate the taller compensator height sights!
now i don't have any compenators on a of my hand guns and i haven't ever used them enough to be accustomed to them , so that may be the reason and i understand why they are that way but I just do not care for them one little bit myself.
just something to hang up on something worse than a conventional sight to me.
but hey if you got a compensator then that's the way it is.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
To OP, I understand your inquisition into “large night sight” sights but have you totally excluded the possibility of lasers? I’m quite impressed by them. I don’t even use the stock sights on guns with them and verify they’re still on target with range sessions. I also recheck zero against a chamber laser sight device periodically.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts