Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gots my brass...gots my boolits...gots my dies (3 die set..Lee) ..gots my turret.

Set the dies in the turret and got them adjusted. Using the Lee Auto Disc. Decided on HP38 as it is probably the best metering powder that I have in stock.

Started with the Auto Disc...the smallest is a .30...no good...drops 3.3 grains and I don't want to exceed the recommended 2.6 grains. So I switched to the Adjustable Charge Bar. It drops from ZERO grains to 2.9 grains...no matter how I adjust it.

I know there's a Micro Charge Bar but really don't want to invest more money into this project. I have extra Lee Discs...I know folks have drilled out disc openings to customize a drop...has anyone filled in a hole and drilled it out?

Any tips to get the Adjustable Charge bar to work better?

·
Registered
682 Posts
No experience but I think I'd try your idea of filling a hole with a liquid metal epoxy and drilling it out. Once you are happy with the load I guess you need to quality check your load every 10 or so to make sure the plastic metal didn't open up. I've never done anything smaller than a 9mm so I haven't had this problem. Another solution might be to change to a powder that requires a higher volume. Call Lee and ask?

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Cz, I looked but can't find it but there is a mod to the disk to take the small disk and drill and tap from the front into the cavity and then use a set screw to decrease the volume. I have been meaning to do this mod but as of yet I've just been too lazy.

·
Super Moderator
36,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cz, I looked but can't find it but there is a mod to the disk to take the small disk and drill and tap from the front into the cavity and then use a set screw to decrease the volume. I have been meaning to do this mod but as of yet I've just been too lazy.
As the front is exposed, it could even project out the side of the disc. I may try that versus the fill and drill...quicker and adjustable.

I just realized that I have an Auto Drum that should throw smaller charges reliably...DUH. I'd love to find a sale on those...43-45 bucks each is the best I see.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I had a Browning .32 pocket pistol and a CZ-27. Neither gun would shoot a full magazine of the three brands of factory ammo I had purchased. A malfunction meant FTF or stove pipes. The reports I heard varied from shot to shot. Somewhat like the problems I had with .22's awhile back.

Anyway I pulled ten rounds apart to weigh the factory powder drops. Before I was done, I knocked out four boxes of factory because of their scattered weights. I measured each load using a higher average factory weight, then reloaded what powder I'd reclaimed. A handful of bullets and primed brass was left over. The pistols ran flawlessly afterwards.

Other things to consider are the rimmed case, cannelured bullets and factory roll crimp. These things and an accurate powder load make it a difficult cartridge to reload for. Good luck.

Attachments

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
36,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^ Sounds like the factory cannot even get a consistent charge! :rolleyes:

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,939 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
For 32 Auto I made several dippers for my favorite powders. These are just a 22lr case filed down with a piece of copper wire soldered on them, and they're very consistent. My Hornady LnL would drop a pretty consistent charge most of the time but since the min to max range was so small I decided it was better to use dippers. I also made a taper-crimp mandrel for the Lee FCD since neither of my 32's headspace off the rim(Guardian, Beretta 81). In case anyone else in interested in converting the FCD for taper-crimp, I simply reamed the opposite end of the roll-crimp mandrel using a #0 Morse-Taper reamer so it can be used for either crimp if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I just realized that I have an Auto Drum that should throw smaller charges reliably...DUH. I'd love to find a sale on those...43-45 bucks each is the best I see.
The Auto Drum should get you down there. I had to use it to get to 2.8gr of HP-38 for the 380. Also maybe you should try some AA#5. I happen to have a jar I'm not using.

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
As the front is exposed, it could even project out the side of the disc. I may try that versus the fill and drill...quicker and adjustable.

They are $32.99 at my favorite Lee dealer... https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-auto-drum-powder-measure.html they are out of stock but they'll be back. You can place a pre-order...

·
Super Moderator
36,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I picked up a 10-24 x 1/2" set screw..74 cents...sticker shock. Used a drill close, should have gone a size larger...it was a bear cutting those threads..couldn't find a tap. I selected a larger slot on the disc figuring it would give a larger range of adjustment for the powder capacity. The jury is still out. I want to re-drill the hole slightly larger to be able to tweak the adjustment easier.

IMG_20191011_175130670 (1).jpg

·
Administrator
35,287 Posts
You're a better man than me ! :D I haven't even started reloading 380 yet and I'm already dreading it, those tiny cases and boolits and my big fingers trying to seat them....I hope you have success with the 32 loads !

·
Super Moderator
36,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're a better man than me ! :D I haven't even started reloading 380 yet and I'm already dreading it, those tiny cases and boolits and my big fingers trying to seat them....I hope you have success with the 32 loads !

380 Auto is a walk in the park compared to these. I would dearly love to change that 81BB over to 380. I'll have dies and supplies for sale if I find the barrel!

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
380 Auto is a walk in the park compared to these. I would dearly love to change that 81BB over to 380. I'll have dies and supplies for sale if I find the barrel!
Seems like .32 ACP, is as expensive as .380 ACP. Now I see why you are trying to reload for the little caliber.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
I took one of my extra disks with small holes and filled the holes with JB Weld. I only drilled out one so far, can't remember why, but it seemed to work fine. This was at least 5 years ago and all my reloading stuff is currently packed up while I am working on remodeling the house, otherwise I would pull it out and send you pictures.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use the adjustable charge bar option on my Lee powder measure and it seems my Dillon shake it enough to get a consistent fill when I loaded small rounds for a friend. 32ACP worked well with WW231 out of his Walther PP.

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
.380 is really no different than 9mm. I load it on my Dillon 550 at the same pace as 9mm / .38. I've had this weird desire to reload for .25 ACP...but I've never run into a gun I like at the right price. One day....

·
Super Moderator
36,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
.380 is really no different than 9mm. I load it on my Dillon 550 at the same pace as 9mm / .38. I've had this weird desire to reload for .25 ACP...but I've never run into a gun I like at the right price. One day....
Well...you could ease into it with one of the surplus Beretta Cheetahs in 32 ACP!! ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts