Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sights on mt wife's model 941 are way off.

If I recall correctly, some time ago, the blade of the rear sight actually fell out. Don't remember the details, but obviously, I got it back in.

I tried to make some adjustments yesterday (without glasses). Turning the screw in both directions, but nothing seemed to make too much of a difference.

From what I could see (without glasses), I don't like that rear sight too much anyway..

Can someone please explain the correct way to make adjustments. I promise I'll put my glasses on next time. Which way do you turn screw to move sight blade? It's shhoting pretty high also. I turned that top screw in front of the sight clockwise, but, maybe not enough.

Is there a better quality replacement sight available?

·
Administrator
35,124 Posts
I would think that the rear sight needs to be securely retained in order for it to hold true. I would fix that issue before I started trying to sight it in.

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think that the rear sight needs to be securely retained in order for it to hold true. I would fix that issue before I started trying to sight it in.
Oh it's retained. Doesn't fall out anymore. I don't think I put loc-tite on it back when I fixed it. Screws turn, so I guess I'm OK.

I imagine I should put my glasses on, and take a better look. But at the range yesterday, I saw that there is access to the screw from the right side. I managed to get a small screwdriver in there, and turn it a bit, but didn't make too much difference. Gun still shooting high and left.

I wouldn't think it would require very much turning before you see some results.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The first thing I'd do is make sure the screw is engaging the bottom of the sight blade, and to make sure it's properly assembled. I'd do that by turning the screw while watching the sight blade and see if it shifts side to side like it's supposed to. If it's working correctly and the adjustment screw is on the right hand side, then you should be turning the screw clockwise to move the blade and poi to the right. The other screw should be turned clockwise to lower the rear sight and to bring the strike of the round down. Definitely use some reading spectacles, and check the heads of the screws too - there's usually a little arrow on them that tells you which way to turn the screw, and the "R" or "L" refers to the strike of the round.

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spectacles make a difference!

I really should start carrying these things with me. OK. there are screws on both sides of the rear blade. I imagine the way to go would be to loosen one side to tighten the other. Sounds a little goofy to me. Plus when I backed one off a little, it got loose quick. The screws look a little boogered-up too. I should have used my glasses from the get-go, and been more careful.

Still don't care for the sight though. I'll have to search and see if there is anything else available.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts

I really should start carrying these things with me. OK. there are screws on both sides of the rear blade. I imagine the way to go would be to loosen one side to tighten the other. Sounds a little goofy to me. Plus when I backed one off a little, it got loose quick. The screws look a little boogered-up too. I should have used my glasses from the get-go, and been more careful.

Still don't care for the sight though. I'll have to search and see if there is anything else available.
Sounds to me like something's not in there right. You shouldn't have to loosen one side, and the screw shouldn't get loose when you turn it. Those adjustment screws are made so they basically turn in place, and the sight blade is the thing that moves. I'm wondering if you got the screw in there backwards. I just consulted the manual on Taurususa.com, and it bears me out on turning the screw - says nothing about loosening the other side. Also has a little diagram that shows what direction to turn the screws and the effect on poi. Taurus revolver manual

·
Administrator
35,124 Posts

The first step is admitting you have a problem. :D

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
And one other thought - you might disassemble the sight, and make sure the blade can move freely in its channel with no screws in place. If something is stopping the blade from moving, then I can see where it would cause you to tighten and loosen the screws. In which case the only thing that would be moving is the screws (as opposed to the sight blade) which would explain why you didn't see any change in poi after making adjustments. If you didn't move the sight blade, you didn't actually make any adjustments. Where you wearing specs when you put it together? :D

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, looked at the diagram. To bad they don't show you what's holding the blade.

What you said makes sense though. I'm thinking there should be perhaps a small spring in there, so that when you trun the one screw, the blade will move. When the blade fell out, the spring must have fallen out also.

I guess this is gonna require a phone call to Taurus. Iused to not mind calling them, but the last few times, I dealt with that Hispanic girl. I find her to be a little rude, and not as helpful as the other people used to be.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Might be as simple as cleaning it out good, lubricating the inside of the sight where it's threaded, and loctiting the screw on. I think I'd lube it by putting a little oil on the screw after it was inserted into the sight, so as not to get any oil on the very tip. Loctite will hold a lot better on clean, degreased metal. If the screw doesn't bottom out when you put the two pieces together, I'd just snug it up. Not too tight or it will be hard to turn. Not too loose of it will allow slop in the rear sight. It's just there to hold the assembly together. I think I'd put a little oil in the recesses for the screw heads too as long as you've got the opportunity. Then I'd let the loctite setup for 24 hours, and I think on this kind of part I'd use the red stuff. This is a pic of an S&W sight blade, and I don't imagine the Taurus is much different. You can see the detent in the big end, so if yours is missing I can see where that might make it feel loose. If a little spring got loose in the works there's no telling what it might be up to. If you did loose the detent ball, you might be able to wrap a little bit of teflon tape around the bolt where it passes through the sight to dampen it enough to keep it from turning on recoil. Pretty small part, but in a pinch it might be worth a try. JAT

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You sir, are a credit to this forum. You're ability to help is very much appreciated. This is definitely not the first time you have helped me, and I have seen many others benefit from your posts.

I'll put my glasses on this weekend, and tackle this problem. Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Awe, shucks. You're gonna make me blush. :D Seriously though - I'm glad to help. When you take the rear sight apart, if by chance it looks exactly like the last pic - which it might due to Taurus and S&W's shared heritage - you could just replace the sight blade and the screw and get a new detent in the process. The assembly is $10.58 from S$W. S&W rear sight blade kit

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll see if I can eyeball (with glasses) any difference between the Taurus one, and the one on my Highway Patrolman.

Gonna have to be a quick look, without removal. That S+W is sighted in perfectly. I don't want to mess with it.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I'm betting it will work. I did some googling, and I found some high res pics of the right and left side of the 941 sight. Looks to me like the adjustment screw head is bigger than the one on the other side just like the smith's. The larger recess (right hand side) should be hexagaonal, and the corners are what the detent clicks into. Let us know if it's workable - you've got my curiosity fully aroused. :D

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Ever notice how there's always a fly in the ointment? I was looking at the smith sight blade kit again, and noticed something - the link is to a sight that fits smith k, l, and n frame revolvers. They've got another one for j frame revolvers. The 941 being a 22 magnum I would guess the sight is more likely to be a j frame size. Might be worth an e-mail to smith and wesson to see what the length of the bolt is (as it seems to be the primary difference, but the blade might be a little narrower too), and compare them to what you've got. Here's a link to the j frame kit - S&W J frame sight kit

Here you can see the difference in the length of the bolt as compared to the other pic. The sight blades may not be different enough to matter, and if the detent on the taurus is the same as the detent on the smith you might be able to reuse your bolt and just swap the detent parts in to insure the right fit. Assuming the threads are the same. JAT

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Or (duh! - he thinks later) you could just compare the width of the sight on the model 28 (an n frame) to what's on the 941. If the 941 sight is narrower, but the screw heads are the same size I'd go with the j frame kit. Or try the teflon tape.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

I think this is correct, regardless of what it says in the manual.
Yeah, the site is insanely small, especially if you don't have fighter-pilot grade vision.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I think this is correct, regardless of what it says in the manual.
Again, it's most definitely not correct. Adjustable rear sights almost all work the same in that there's a screw that works like the pinion in rack and pinion steering. The pinion doesn't move it only rotates, and the rack slides back and forth on the pinion. On some sights the whole back part of the sight moves side to side, but on the Taurus and Smith sights only the blade moves. There should be no reason to tighten and loosen bolts as they should only be rotating freely inside the housing. If something is restricting the blades ability to slide back and forth inside the sight, then it's going to put pressure on the nut and if the end of the screw isn't loctited or snug enough it could just back out. I've seen a lot of sights in the last forty plus years, and some of them were pretty micky mouse setups. But I've never seen one that required you to loosen and tighten screws on opposing sides of the sight. And I'm positive this one doesn't either as it's derived from the original S&W design from when Taurus and Smith were owned by the same company and shared technology.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts