Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just shot a box mild 357 hand loads and a handful of full load 357's in my model 66 (and another box in my LCR). I'm fairly new to handguns so I'm still learning the art of aiming and trigger control. So it's way too soon for me to be tinkering with the sights I think. On a few occasions I was able to keep a cylinder of shots in a 1" to 1.5" spot. I want to get my groups tighter first, eliminating some bad habits first. And then I'll adjust the sights to put the groups at the point of aim... also once I figure out what distance I want to zeroed in.

I am seeing, however, that at very close distances (around 5 yards) this gun is putting the bullets low with the current sight adjustment -- maybe 1.5 inches or so. I suppose that is normal given the geometry of the gun and sights, and given that this gun was probably sighted in for a greater distance by the previous owner. So I'm just wondering whether that is in the range of what others see from a model 66 at such a short distance.

·
Super Moderator
35,283 Posts
Could be your flinching those rounds low. The ONLY way to see where the GUN shoots is to bench it, I prefer 25 yards, on sandbags. Remove as much shooter error as possible. A ransom rest is ideal, but they're expensive and you need expensive inserts for each model gun. I'd shoot a while, eliminate all the shooter error you can, spend some dry fire time with a dime on the barrel. Don't attempt to adjust the sights until you know you are not the cause of the error.

Remember, move the rear sight in the direction you want POI to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be your flinching those rounds low. The ONLY way to see where the GUN shoots is to bench it, I prefer 25 yards, on sandbags. Remove as much shooter error as possible. A ransom rest is ideal, but they're expensive and you need expensive inserts for each model gun. I'd shoot a while, eliminate all the shooter error you can, spend some dry fire time with a dime on the barrel. Don't attempt to adjust the sights until you know you are not the cause of the error. Remember, move the rear sight in the direction you want POI to go.
Dry firing with a dime on the barrel! Sounds like fun ;-)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts