Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Adjusting Rear Sight (Novak)

My PT1911 shoots to the left and I checked the sights and found that the rear sight is off-centered and sits to the left. I've been trying to get the hex screw loose but it was set too tight plus the fact that it is really small. Is there a better way to remove/loosen the screw so I can adjust the rear sight?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Make sure you have the correct Alen and heat up the sight with a blow dryer for a couple of minutes and don't be afraid to turn the set screw that is if you have the right Alen wrench, good luck.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure you have the correct Alen and heat up the sight with a blow dryer for a couple of minutes and don't be afraid to turn the set screw that is if you have the right Alen wrench, good luck.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun
I used the hex key that came with the gun. I have not tried using a blow dryer to heat it up though. I hope I didn't mess up the screw head by trying to turn it several times but it's still stuck. Will try the blow dryer trick and see if it works. By the way, should I put a drop or two of gun oil to kinda lubricate it a little bit?

·
Registered
36,802 Posts
I used the hex key that came with the gun. I have not tried using a blow dryer to heat it up though. I hope I didn't mess up the screw head by trying to turn it several times but it's still stuck. Will try the blow dryer trick and see if it works. By the way, should I put a drop or two of gun oil to kinda lubricate it a little bit?

???? Not sure what you are wanting to oil/Lubricate??
but for the record if you did mess up the rear sight screw you can always move the front sight to bring the gun on target.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
???? Not sure what you are wanting to oil/Lubricate??
but for the record if you did mess up the rear sight screw you can always move the front sight to bring the gun on target.
I was thinking of lubricating the hex screw a little bit to see if it would help loosen it up.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I got by by scratching and scratching and scratching until the allen wrench got a good purchase on the screw. I think heat is the better choice.

·
Registered
36,802 Posts
I was thinking of lubricating the hex screw a little bit to see if it would help loosen it up.

you could try it I guess, but as the screw is in the sight I doubt that any or much oil would penetrate the threads.
Normally its that Loc tite substance that taurus puts on the screws at the factory that keeps it from freely turning loose.
thats the purpose of the heat to sioften it up and let go of the screw.
I have had some pretty tough ones but so far never had to resort to heat to get them out, a really good quality hex wrench makes things a lot easier as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts