Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm looking for help adjusting the rear sight on my PT 740 Slim. I have no idea where my manual is or anything else that came with it when I bought it. Mainly, I just need to know how to use the windage screws on the side of the rear sight (which one does what) and what the screw on the top of the rear sight is for. Any help sure would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Front is windage (L-R); rear is elevation (U-D); middle holds sight to slide - you can loosen and drift whole assembly left or right a bit, but it has limits to still hit screw hole and lock down.

You can also download the manual from Taurus web site for the Slims which shows graphics.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
51 Posts
me too!

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Thank you very much, Wino!
You're welcome, and Welcome to the forum from "The Cradle of Texas Liberty"!

I drifted my whole sight right on slide to offset my tendency to shoot left on both my 709 and 740.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Loosen vertical screw that holds sight assembly to slide and hand move to the right ('drift' wasn't necessary as it moved freely once screw lose). Found best to move windage screw to center position when moving sight assembly left or right in slide dovetail groove. Front sight is fixed.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
YEP!
Drift is kind of an over statement!-LOL
I don't think that there really is a lot of movement side to side in the rear sight itself, the intended movement is from the adjsutable insert that fits inside the base and the screws for this.
IF one is right handed and shooting left , low or left and low then it might be advisable to work on trigger control and not squeezing the lower fingers during firing, if left handed then shooting right (and low) seems to crop up.
try to really concentrate on your trigger pull and squeeze the trigger , you should NOT know exactly when the gun is going to fire.
I would actually like to see a 709/740 with non adjustable Tritium or Fiber optic sights that were in a rear dovetail myself.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Well, in my case :redface: I had windage all the way to right with sights on center and still hitting left, so moved the whole shabang right and moved windage just a little from full right towards center. Improved, but still left. Elevation good. I'm blaming the twisting Hogue Jr.:eek::D I guess I'm still pulling, although snapcaps say no - live rounds say yes.:p

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
well actually i find MY snap caps to be much, much more accurate than my "boollits" too!
maybe we are on to something here???-----:icon_ lala:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts