Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing the sights on my PT111 with Williams Firesights, my gun still shoots a couple inches low at 7 yds. I have been doing ok just holding over, but how many of you guys load lighter loads for your practice to get your impact adjusted to your sights?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Boogerman, you can usually raise the point of impact by going to a heavier bullet. A lighter one will usually lower the point of impact. A shorter front sight will raise the point of impact too. Hope this helps some, Frank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Frank, for the reply. I really cant do much with the sights, just bought them, and there are few options for sights with the PT111. I figure I will have to adjust my load, as I purchased recently a 6 cavity bullet mould, casts 125 grain bullets using wheelweights. If that does not get me there, I will investigate a mould to cast heavier bullets in 9mm. Thanks!~

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Frank V said:
Boogerman, you can usually raise the point of impact by going to a heavier bullet. A lighter one will usually lower the point of impact. A shorter front sight will raise the point of impact too. Hope this helps some, Frank.
sounds like some good info....but whats up with your name?????lol

·
Registered
588 Posts
I recently loaded some 125 LRN with lightest listed charge, and they shoot 8" higher (10-12 yards) than most thru my PT111, I wonder if the light charge/low pressure is allowing the pistol to unlock to quickly, 147 LRN bullet with same powder charge seems to shoot to the same place as all other ammo. One of these night's I up the charge to middle range with 125's and see what happens. David

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what info I can gather, slower velocity loads take longer to get from the mouth of the cartridge case to the muzzle. Even though this load will recoil softer than a faster load, the time the bullet spends in the barrel is just enough longer to cause the impact to be higher because of the rise of barrel during recoil. Hope I made sense of this! :) This seems to hold true in a number of firearms I have experimented with, both rifle and pistol.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've heard similar to that, but think its true only when comparing full power loads, say full 357 125 loads vs full 158 loads, the 158 will impact higher, Comparing the 147 I loaded with 4.0 (middle charge) of something that hit where I was aiming (pretty much) vs 125 with same amount of powder (didn't feel like changing the disc setup) the 125 should be faster, yet it hit noticably higher. Both lead bullets (different brands). (147 load same powder charge as 125 would be higher pressure)

I updated my Lee Auto disc with the adjustable powder bar this morning so I'll do some playing this weekend and see if more powder brings my point of impact down. Might have to wait another weekend to actually shoot, the 2' of snow we go this week plus highs in the single digits will keep me inside. David

·
Registered
275 Posts
Re: adjusting POI with hand loads

Also something to think about...when the bullet gets too lite, and the velocity speed is more than adequate you can get a POI that is 7 to 10 inches low.

As is shown in this picture, the revolver is a S&W 2nd model in .45 Colt, barrel length is about six inches.

Bullet is a custom swaged one bumped up from .430 to .454 diameter. Has a hollow base of about 1/4 inch. (the cylinder throats are over sized, hince the HB)

TB C45

·
Super Moderator
34,944 Posts
Quite true that the heavier bullets generally impact higher. I have no problem on a new gun shooting low, just whipping out the file. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts