Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a PT145 yesterday afternoon and sent about 50 rounds down range after I got home.

It was flawless in function.

I may, however, need to do some adjustment on the sights. I plan on getting more familiar with the gun before I do anything.

Does someone know if you just use an allen wrench to loosen the rear sight for windage adjustment? That appears to be the case, but I always like to appeal to experience when I can.

Thanks . . .

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Yes, that is the case. However, logic would have told me that the key would be the same size as the rear sight lock, but that's not the case. That sure would have made it easier, but you need one size smaller. I had to tap mine with a screwdriver and a hammer to get it to move, it seems to be a pretty tight fit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flyer,

I don't have the gun in front of me right now (I'm at work), but I'm not certain what you are referring to as being different sizes. Is there not just one set screw on top of the rear sight? Or do you mean that the set screws for the front and rear sight take different sized allen wrenches?

It seems to me that the procedure would be to loosen the rear sight set screw (with an allen wrench), move the sight as required, then retighten the set screw.

Was the difficulty you experienced in loosening the set screw or in actually moving the sight after the screw was loosened?

Sorry for my confusion, but I would rather ask too many questions than unnecessarily foul something up on my brand new gun.

Thanks,

·
6,541 Posts
No difficulty, I was just riding my soap box briefly. The key for the lock on the slide isn't the same size as the allen screw in the rear sight. The set screw is a smaller size. The front sight is even smaller.

There is no special trick to adjusting them, just like you said' although, you may have to have something to tap on the site a little. Mine was a pretty tight fit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i dont think that the keys that came with the gun were supposed to be used for the sights as well. my gun came NIB with one or 2 allen wrenches & 2 keys. so im not sure why you used the key for the sights, unless im just totally missing something....which could likely be the case, lol.

nevertheless. is there a way to lower the front sight or raise the rear sight? it looks like everyone is having the same issue with the straight-8 sights, maybe they arent meant to be straight-8 at all...lol, maybe they are meant to be "straight dot-space-dot" sights....

·
6,541 Posts
I don't think the keys were meant to be used like tha either, but it would have been a nice touch. I do recall mine coming with a single allen wrench.

·
32,497 Posts
Hi folks. There isn't much can do for point of impact.
Different weight bullets will shoot to a higher or lower point from what you are getting know.Even same bullet weight cartridges made by the ammo makers can have different impact points do to different components and powders in the ammo make up.

Most fixed sight pistols have impact problems with being several inches right or left of where the sights show the bullet should be. There are no extra front blades in different sizes to raise or lower the sight and point of impact like some companies make for their pistols.

It usually takes a certain sized punch and a soft headed small hammer to drift the sights over in short increments until you get it where you want it. With the 24/7 it may be using the allen wrench to loosen the sight and move it with the punch a little at a time to where you want it and then tightening the screw back up. It may take some experimentation with the sight to get it in just the place you want it.

Otherwise it is Kentucky windage time. That is knowing where the bullet impacts on the target and then moving the sight left or right just enough to have the bullets hitting dead center on the target. Being a revolver man at first, I got to try long range shooting at various distances. If the wind is blowing that can affect bullet placement as well. If you already are aware of all this disregard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts