Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spend a lot of time at www.combatcarry.com A question was asked last evening about adjustable sights for a Taurus. I replied that over here there was a man named cimaron and he did some tinkering about sights. I remember reading about it on the old site. but for some reason I don't understand, my puter won't take me there. If they come here asking, could one of ya point them in the right direction? Hey, maybe ya can pick up a few new members from over there. thanx

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cool, a new site I didn't know about (new to me, I mean- I'm sure they've been there a while) I'll check them out in a few minutes.

Did you tell them about us? Maybe YOU can get a few new members for us here! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Well, since I guess I'm the author of this confusion, let me clarify. I bought a rear adjustable sight made for a Browning Hi-Power. It was stainless so it matched my slide. It was too wide at the bottom of the dovetail and sat just a bit too high. So I took a fine flat file, put on a counter top and holding the sight flat against the file,began working the bottom of the sight down. I stopped after each 25 runs of the file and checked for fit and depth. It took about 175 runs (you don't do these things too quickly... you can't add metal back) to get it to fit and fit flush with the slide... it looked pretty nice.

I wanted something to help me adjust the sights from shooting low, but the new sights now caused the gun to shoot high. I decided to take the adjustable sight off and gently try lowering the front sight.

The solution to the problem would be to buy a matching set of front and adjustable rear and you would have the height problem pretty much solved.

It appears that sights for the Hi-Power are closer in size (requiring less filing) but with a gentle touch of a file almost any sights that is larger than the dovetail of the Taurus can be fitted. An old trick is to take a triangular file and grind one side of the file smooth. You can then use the smooth side of the file to position it for removing the width of the dovetail on the sight... or if you are bold... open the dovetail on the slide. With a gentle touch and careful test trials, you could open the dovetail to a standard 1911 dimension which would allow you to use a whole host of available sights.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts