Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 940 that is a great gun with one exception it shoots low .

I have benched it and I also shoot other handguns "1911's and revolvers" and have for 20+ years now so it is the gun and not me .

I am a stickler for having my guns shoot to POA since I grew up shooting S&W model 19's and a 586 in addition to a Colt 1911 with Millet adjustables on it .

If anyone knows of adjustable sights that would fit this weapon "nite sights that are adjustable would be a huge bonus" I would greatly appreciated the sharing of the information .

Thank You

·
32,788 Posts
Hey Bigs, Sight makers do not make adjustable ones for the 940 that I know of. If am wrong would somebody let me know. What weight bullet and at what approximate velocity do you normally use and how many different loads have you tried? I am not trying to insult your ability. Just curious. Even same weight, but different loads from ammo makers can impact far apart from one another. Higher velocity and light bullet weight (135grains -165 grains) usually makes the impact go low. The more sedate speeds for the 165 grain and 180grain loads should impact higher. Since you did not specify the reasons I am speculating myself. The adjustable sights would probably need to be done by a competent gunsmith if it can be done. Wayne Novack or Cylinder and Slide Shop would be your best bet to inquire to about this. They are the experts at that sort of thing and some of the best in the business. PT99 adjustables might fit the 940. That would take talking to Taurus technicians at the factory. If you have a local competent gunsmith put the question to him. Gander Mountain and Cabela's in this area have in store gunsmiths. Might be the same in your area. Give them a visit or call. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have been shooting Remington 180 gr JHP factory and some 175 gr LSWC loads
that I made up with Power Pistol that is as I recall a near max load .

I believe in being honest and while it does shoot low it is only by a couple of inches , and I am sure my coming up shooting with white outline rear and orange front vs trying to get use to the 3 Dot system aggrevates it/me .

I wont go the the expense of hundreds of dollar custom sights as I bought it as a CCW piece and it will still serve in that roll as is .

Last time at the range my 18 YO son picked it up and put several magazines through it and was quickly able to pick up on the needed adjustment needed to hit 6 inch spinning targets out to the 15 yard mark .

If nothing elese it will become his go to gun in the event of a home break in etc. and I will make a present of it when he turns 21 and I will stick to my tried and true 1911's and 357 revolvers .

I have a good smith I plan on talking to about it , it is just that he has odd hours and is hard to catch in the shop , a new Cabelas is due to open soon will speak to them about it also .

Thanks for your help .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have a pt940, that does shoot low, and my rear sight once drifted way to the right, and I shot way left, the smith at the range moved it back, and used some type of epoxy. This past weekend, I went to the range again, It's still shooting left and low, but not terribly bad, and the groups are somewhat decent when I concentrate. I have never used a pistol rest with this gun, so it could be my shooting that is causing it during my trigger squeeze. I can still see that that rear sight is not perfectly centered on the slide. Unfortunately, there is no civilian tactical range or instruction in my area that I can access to see how it is under fast firing conditions, and the range that I do shoot at will throw us out if we rapid fire, or draw and fire. It is also my carry gun and I have a call into a smith about adjustable rear sights for it. If I hear back from him, I'll post what he says.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.