Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PT709 SLIM. Mine came with just one magazine, I thought they all had two. (New today March 26, 2013) Finally found a web site advertising them, $80 to $90+!!! That's crazy!!! The guy at the gun shop said some models have one and others have two. He said that the ones with two are a lot more expensive. I guess so, when a magazine is over $80. I only paid $329 for NIB gun. Damn, $80-$90 for a magazine is like 25%+ of the cost of the new gun. There must be some way of purchasing direct from Taurus. And how about the 9 rd. extended mags? They showed it in their "Whats New for 2011" but it seems to me that they have never been available. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get extra mags without closing out my IRA?

Sale - pt 709 slim magazine - Top Quality

Did I say that's crazy?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Forget the 9 round, you won't find it. The Mags are supposed to retail for around $35. My LGS sold me mine for $44 and that was their normal price. I would call Taurus and get on the list if I need one. It may take months but it's better then paying those crazy prices. Keep an eye out. You may find one hanging on the wall of some mom and pop shop.

I thought I was getting the deal of a century at $299 until I realized I got the no case, no extra mag FS model. Doh!

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Try this place for your magazine X-ringsupply.com thay are in delaware.. Walked in the other day and checked them out wow what a supply of goodies.. I think they do mail order. I found mags for my 22 hanging on the wall..

·
Registered
14,084 Posts
Put yourself in the place of the new owner of a Hi-Point pistol. A pistol that used to sell for $135, but comes with only one magazine. And now new extra magazines have sold for $50. The firearm market is just flat nuts right now and doesn't show any strong signs of slowing down. On the other hand, really no need for extra magazines if there is no ammo to put in them.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
gunclips.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
Put yourself in the place of the new owner of a Hi-Point pistol. A pistol that used to sell for $135, but comes with only one magazine. And now new extra magazines have sold for $50. The firearm market is just flat nuts right now and doesn't show any strong signs of slowing down. On the other hand, really no need for extra magazines if there is no ammo to put in them.
When did he extra mags start costing $50? I bought a c9 back in Jan for about $170. I then bought 2 10 round mags for about $40 total. That was at the end of Jan. Have they really gone up that much in this short of time?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Even during "normal" times this is something to factor in when buying any gun. How many mags will I need and what do/will they cost. For carry guns I'm okay with 4 - maybe 5 for competition ideally I would like to shoot the match without having to reload but there is always some fiddling no matter what. Watching and thinking is better time dpent than loading mags.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Taurus, at one time, was offering the PT709 with two magazines, and a soft case, as a package deal. This is routine in the industry, especially to get sales moving. I have seen the same cased gun, with ONE magazine, in several shops. When asked, the answer is always "it only came with one". BS. Shopkeepers have been removing spare mags for the last decade. First with Sigs, then with others, as they found that selling the spare mag was much more profitable than selling it, at the same price, with the gun. It's quite possible that such unethical profiteering will slow markedly whenever the "buy, buy, buy" fervor is over.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem with my pt92 in the last month or so. I read the reviews and finally settled on a Mecgar. They make a great product and I could find them...I'm not sure if they make one for the 709 but check it out!

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
I bought my 709 mags from CTD sub $28 + Tax + Shipping before people went bat-crap-crazy. Bought my 740 mags after BCC at $33 ea. + tax from Academy, which is what they charge for about all Taurus mags when in stock. Taurus charges $36 + shipping. I'll not pay more than what the manufacturer charges for them - I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid. I cannot conceive of any reason to pay outrageous prices for a magazine during panic buying season, particularly for a 709 or 740 magazine that hasn't a chance in hell of being banned. They will again be available in the future - patience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted anyone out there that might own a Taurus PT 709 slim that Taurus does have the magazines for this gun in stock!!!!! They are $36 plus shipping. I ordered 2 and the total with shipping was $80.75 ( for 2 magazines ). Their phone # 305-624-1115. I haven't received them yet because i just ordered them, but they told me they were in stock.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I found a way to get around the high price of ammo and accessories.......I don't buy them. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I just bought a Beretta Model 21A that someone had put a ProMag for a Beretta Model 950 BS in. It was a used gun, and you couldn't actually rack the slide, or get the side to move when firing. You had a single-shot pistol, in .25 ACP. Got the little gun for a song (under $75.00). Beretta mags for the gun were $30.00 each, plus shipping. Ordered a pair. Proper magazine, good cleaning and lube, and it's a hoot to shoot. However, $30.00 for a magazine that has been in production for 50 years is pretty stiff.

I keep four mags per gun. Two for carry, two for practice. Magazines fail regularly, as nobody pays them any attention. Springs weaken, hold-open tabs wear, and debris may slow the operation. All of that results in a less reliable gun. It's much easier to replace a failed magazine, and later re-work it, than to chance carrying only a single mag in the gun, with no back-up.

My primary carry guns all have 8-10 mags available. ALL of them are OEM, or Mec-Gar/ACT. Ayt the first sign of trouble, they are taken out of rotations, cleaned, examined, and re-built.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Unfortunately they are still getting stupid high prices on eBay as well. I think NY has something to do with the 709 mag problem. Guns that hold 7 rounds are probably very popular there now - ya think?!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts