Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to buy or trade for this revolver. The person selling it thought it was a Taurus 85. I don't think so. (6" barrel, 6 rounds in the chamber)

It is old - so old that the serial number doesn't show up on Taurus "Find my Taurus" page. I have several Taurus revolvers and have had several others but haven't ever seen one EXACTLY like this.

Can anyone here please share your vast Taurus knowledge on this revolver?

Thank you very much!

82_1.jpg
82_2.jpg
82_sn.jpg

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Not sure on the Model number, it should be inside the crane. Based on the import mark it predates Taurus Miami and will not be in their system.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
24,543 Posts
Look inside the crane on the frame. The Model number should be there.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm trying to buy or trade for this revolver. The person selling it thought it was a Taurus 85. I don't think so. (6" barrel, 6 rounds in the chamber)

It is old - so old that the serial number doesn't show up on Taurus "Find my Taurus" page. I have several Taurus revolvers and have had several others but haven't ever seen one EXACTLY like this.

Can anyone here please share your vast Taurus knowledge on this revolver?

Thank you very much!
No way at all that's an 85. And, yes, it's old. See the screw up by the rear sight. Those went away around 1990 or so.

Taurus' SN lookup isn't real reliable.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!
note to self: get my hands on it.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Looks like our Taurus 86, also called a Target Master. Really nice firearm- accurate, smooth, comfortable ...and both DH & I can shoot it without changing the setting of the rear sight, which is very unusual for us! Run, do not walk, and buy it....now! :) Regardless of the model, those venerable Taurus revolvers are certainly the bees knees!

·
22,055 Posts
Very nice! Get it get it get it get it!

·
Super Moderator
35,724 Posts
While not a close up photo, the bluing looks great. I would be all over that one.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
That looks like the Brazilian version of the S&W Model 14.
I don't know if it is true or not, but I've read that the early Taurus revolvers were made using retired S&W tooling.
That one sure looks almost identical to a S&W model 14 of about the same vintage - which would seem to add credibility to the S&W tooling idea.

·
Super Moderator
17,632 Posts
Yes, a Taurus Model 86, the Taurus version of the S&W Model 14 ( aka K-38 ).

There also was a virtually identical Model 76 in .32 S&W (which became the 761 in .32 H&R Magnum) and a model 96 in .22 LR.

You don't see those often, especially in good condition. If it has any sort of reasonable price on it I'd buy it. I'd bet there's several of us here that would be glad to take it off your hands for what you've got in it if you decide you don't want it.

I've been looking for one of the .32's forever. I've never seen one.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
That looks like the Brazilian version of the S&W Model 14.
I don't know if it is true or not, but I've read that the early Taurus revolvers were made using retired S&W tooling.
That one sure looks almost identical to a S&W model 14 of about the same vintage - which would seem to add credibility to the S&W tooling idea.
No, Taurus didn't use retired S&W tooling. CBC used retired Remington tooling for their version of the Nylon .22, until that worn tooling was no longer capable of use. Taurus bought the entire Beretta factory in Brazil for making the PT-92. The Brazilian military required that Taurus build a local plant to produce a contracted number of 9mm pistols. After the contract was fulfilled, Beretta sold the plant, rather than have yet another facility surplus to their needs. Taurus had been manufacturing pistols for decades before this.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
My 1980 copy of the 12th Edition of Guns Illustrated, on page 135, shows that same gun as the Taurus Model 86. Back then, price was listed as $149.00 MSRP.

Oddly enough the Combat Masterpiece also listed at $149.00 for the Model 15.

I have an even older Taurus revolver, imported by Sam Cummings. I bought it in tghe mi d-70's, as it looked better finished than the Rossi revolvers he was also importing. 4", blued, mid-frame size. :cool:

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Looks like our Taurus 86, also called a Target Master. Really nice firearm- accurate, smooth, comfortable ...and both DH & I can shoot it without changing the setting of the rear sight, which is very unusual for us! Run, do not walk, and buy it....now! :) Regardless of the model, those venerable Taurus revolvers are certainly the bees knees!

DING DING DING!!! The winner is! Great job. That is an AWESOME find!!!!! M86

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Yes, a Taurus Model 86, the Taurus version of the S&W Model 14 ( aka K-38 ).

There also was a virtually identical Model 76 in .32 S&W (which became the 761 in .32 H&R Magnum) and a model 96 in .22 LR.

You don't see those often, especially in good condition. If it has any sort of reasonable price on it I'd buy it. I'd bet there's several of us here that would be glad to take it off your hands for what you've got in it if you decide you don't want it.

I've been looking for one of the .32's forever. I've never seen one.
Got one!!:D I'll post a picture sometime, soon - although they all look alike - faaaabulous revolvers!

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Registered
470 Posts
My 669 has that screw up by the rear sight. I don't remember from having it apart if it was related to the firing pin???
My recollection from my old 66 is that it's just a sideplate screw. The firing pin was held in place by a pin that you could get to once the sideplate was off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts