Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Did you have shooting galleries at carnivals/fairs when you were young? What kind?

• Laser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never saw one

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I alluded to in prior posts, I have been able to bring my Grandfather's Winchester Model 06 into the stable. I remember shooting this gun on his farm in Michigan when I was eight years old. It is chambered in 22 short, long and LR and is the takedown design. Condition is probably Average-Good. These are often referred to as "Gallery Guns" as no carnival was complete in the 40's and 50's without a shooting galley. I still remember the operator loading the rifles with 22 shorts from a tubular feeder and the scent of the powder as I tried to gun down the birds and other rolling targets. Here it is next to the Springfield:

DSCN8048.JPG DSCN8050.JPG DSCN8054.JPG DSCN8059.JPG

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,311 Posts
Nice! :hand2:

If it could talk, the tales it would tell.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
8,975 Posts
That one is in much better shape then the 4 I have restored. Nice looking plinker.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Nice old plinker SMILEY con thumbs up.jpg

·
Super Moderator
37,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That one is in much better shape then the 4 I have restored. Nice looking plinker.
I see them on GunBroker and there are some rough customers, some like mine and some that have been restored. The temptation is there to restore it but I am resisting as I believe that the original patina has some value. I am eager to get out and shoot it for the first time in some 50+ years...;) (that sucker was extremely accurate then...we'll see how I've aged...:rolleyes: )

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Point of Trivia:

The term "Gallery Gun" is technically reserved for those chambered for .22 Short ONLY.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
"Shooting Gallery" - now that is a term I have not heard in probably 40 years. Did carny shooting galleries actually use .22 shorts in the old days? I can remember the .177 ball bearing air rifles in carnival shooting galleries but never actual 22 shorts.

·
Super Moderator
37,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Shooting Gallery" - now that is a term I have not heard in probably 40 years. Did carny shooting galleries actually use .22 shorts in the old days? I can remember the .177 ball bearing air rifles in carnival shooting galleries but never actual 22 shorts.
It's like an age test...In the olden days it was the Winchester pump with 22 shorts..I don't recall how many rounds that I got per loading, but am pretty sure that I went through 2 or 3 rounds. The targets were on a conveyor that rolled right to left IIRC and flipped down when struck.

The later iteration was the air powered BB gun that used a red/orange star on cardboard and the object was to totally obliterate the image. When finished shooting, the Carny man would show you the teensy bits of orange left and urge you to plunk down some more coin.

Let's post a poll!!

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Actually, they used .22 CB shorts, which were loaded sans powder. Only the priming compound pushed the bullet out the barrel. You can buy CB shorts today. :D

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Seen all 3, shot all 3. Most of what I shot were airguns. They always screwed up the sights and would swap guns on you when you needed a reload. That way, you couldn't get used to where 1 gun shot and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
It's like an age test...In the olden days it was the Winchester pump with 22 shorts..I don't recall how many rounds that I got per loading, but am pretty sure that I went through 2 or 3 rounds. The targets were on a conveyor that rolled right to left IIRC and flipped down when struck.

The later iteration was the air powered BB gun that used a red/orange star on cardboard and the object was to totally obliterate the image. When finished shooting, the Carny man would show you the teensy bits of orange left and urge you to plunk down some more coin.

Let's post a poll!!
Can't tell you how many quarters I spent trying to shoot out that darn red star.:mad:

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
32,205 Posts
Actually, they used .22 CB shorts, which were loaded sans powder. Only the priming compound pushed the bullet out the barrel. You can buy CB shorts today. :D
They were gallery rounds with frangible bullets, not lead.

·
Registered
32,205 Posts
Very well preserved. I love those old exposed hammer pumps.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Yes they did, they were my favorite attraction. That pretty much ended sometime in the....70's? Last one I can remember was a County Fair in Massachusetts which would have been in 1968. The rifles were chained down. Often loaded with BB Cap or sometimes CB Cap. Some ammo had frangible bullets.

·
Super Moderator
37,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^ Wouldn't you love to own one of those!

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,311 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice addition to the Man Cave :thumb:
I poked around the 'net for a bit to try and find the expected cost...did not find any vintage complete units, just pieces. It's supposed that many were scrapped for the war effort 1938-1945, but there were still a lot in use after that time.

Reactions: william
1 - 20 of 29 Posts