Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those look really nice on the 85 and that design should help controlling recoil. BTW, your 85 is a beauty.
I’m not going to lie. I was not excited about this little revolver when I got it (had kind of a low opinion of Taurus for a long time, based mostly on problems I’ve seen with auto loaders.).
But after spending some time with this one, including getting into the inside and cleaning it up, I can say, that this mid-90s era specimen, shows some decent workmanship. I like the barrel profile and construction on this one, more than the series that followed and is in the new 856s. I like the fact that it has the additional locking point at the under lug at the ejector rod, which in my head is just one of those little details that got ditched for the sake of production cost and expediency.

So, I guess I put this little 85 in the “They don’t make them like this anymore” category. And I find it Ironic that I’m saying this about a Taurus. But by the same measure, if I’m being honest, Smith and Wesson doesn’t make their revolvers like they used to either.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ordered these over a month ago and was contacted by the company and informed that it could be up to 6 weeks before they made them, due to backlog of orders.

Haven’t shot it with them on, yet, but they look and feel good. Fit is solid.

View attachment 482197
Suggest you try Gunbroker. Seller "AltamontFactoryOutlet" is their factory outlet store ("duh") for blems, old stock, and the like. I don't see anything right now for Taurus small frame, but it's worth keeping an eye on them.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
They look fantastic.

I love Altamont Grips, and I have them on both my Taurus Judge Magnum and my Walther PPK/S.

Altamont Company actually supplies the wooden grips for Special Edition Smith & Wesson Revolvers as well as Talo, which speaks highly or their quality.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I've got an old pair of Pachmayr rubber Compaq grip's(sadly no longer being made for the M85)they are the best grips I ever had.
View attachment 482211
This 85 model was my backup on the ankle as a LEO,with the same Pachy grips,made for great control and non slip,wish i never traded it off for the semi auto line . If your inclined i would be interested if you wish to sell It ?

·
Registered
210 Posts
This 85 model was my backup on the ankle as a LEO,with the same Pachy grips,made for great control and non slip,wish i never traded it off for the semi auto line . If your inclined i would be interested if you wish to sell It ?
Sorry don't want to sell, I've had this thing for over 25 years bought It new think I paid like $125 then.
I've always kicked myself for selling off the blued version i bought a few years before I got this one.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Do you have a link for the grips and especially the holster? Both are very nice.
I have an early 90s model with a set of Barami Hip-Grips that are not legal with current Texas law. A set of boot grips or something like you posted would be nice.
these were designed to fit over a belt or pocket and leave enough of the grip exposed to draw. Current Texas law says a weapon must be carried in a belt or shoulder holster. A pocket holster would work, but I like your solution better.
Grey Line Material property Air gun Composite material
Grille Mesh Fence Wire fencing Line

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have a link for the grips and especially the holster? Both are very nice.
I have an early 90s model with a set of Barami Hip-Grips that are not legal with current Texas law. A set of boot grips or something like you posted would be nice.
these were designed to fit over a belt or pocket and leave enough of the grip exposed to draw. Current Texas law says a weapon must be carried in a belt or shoulder holster. A pocket holster would work, but I like your solution better.
Altamont grips
Taurus M-85 | Altamont Company

Azula holster, via Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HFQGY2Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very nice. There's something about wooden/composite grips that give that niche revolver-ish appearance to the wheelgun. Rubber grips just don't give that "soul" to revolver. I always had my wheelguns equipped with wooden grips and i only changed them back to rubber for a shooting range. Taurus revolvers look especially great with such grips, they remind of older S&Ws. Imagine raging bull or hunter with altamonts or hogue camo lamo? Perfection.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've thought about some of the slimmer open backstrap wooden boot grips for mine. With my small hands and old school snubby experience, they really can't be too small. Thought it might shave an ounce, and an 8th of front to back length while also looking good.

Reactions: SSGN-Doc

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've thought about some of the slimmer open backstrap wooden boot grips for mine. With my small hands and old school snubby experience, they really can't be too small. Thought it might shave an ounce, and an 8th of front to back length while also looking good.
I have these on a S&W 640-1.

They look nice, fit nice and are decent with .38 rounds, but with +P and .357 rounds. I need more grip.

Sleeve Everyday carry Material property Bag Gun accessory

1 - 17 of 17 Posts