Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have favorite blogs and websites that I visit daily. Some of them tell me that I am using Ad-blocker, and ask that I turn it off for their site (which I have had already done) and/or add them to my whitelist. In short, I still get requests that I turn off my Ad-blocker, even though it is already turned off for that site. I can't help but wonder if there is more that I should do beyond clicking the red stop sign in the upper right corner of the header bar and selecting "off" for a website. Any ideas?

·
Registered
764 Posts
What I do is use Firefox with the ad blocker for sites that I can use the ad blocker and the use Edge for sites that won't let me.
That weay I don't have to turn it on and off.

·
Registered
808 Posts
lots of sites seem to tell me i need to subscribe or turn off ad blocker and i jsut ignore it and the page loads just fime. it's like they are bluffing

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
If a site tells you to turn off your adblocker, they aren't a reputable site to begin with. Ad blockers prevent malicious code that can be inserted directly to your computer. In the real world it would be similar to "You can use our parking garage but you must pay for it's usage or leave your doors unlocked". Would YOU park there?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
If a site tells you to turn off your adblocker, they aren't a reputable site to begin with. Ad blockers prevent malicious code that can be inserted directly to your computer. In the real world it would be similar to "You can use our parking garage but you must pay for it's usage or leave your doors unlocked". Would YOU park there?
I never turn off my ad blocker. I don't want to see their ads, and don't trust the intrusion.

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
^^^^^^+1

I use a quality anti-virus program, 2 adblockers, a script blocker and invoke ancient incantations from a witch doctor.
I rarely get notified that I am using an adblocker.
When I do my usual response is: "Well gee you moron, ya think?"
I've had only one instance of not being allowed into a site because of them.
So I left.
My wife and I cancelled cable tv because of commercials.
I will do the same to the internet if it evolves into that. This is relaxing time, not life and death.
I absolutely hate ads. They are intrusive, ignorant and often insulting to our intelligence.
If I want to buy something I will go investigate and research it.
Stop trying to force your random garbage that I could care less about in my face.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I run an ad blocker and two script blockers. They're dialed up tight and will remain so. If a website wants to pitch a hissy fit, well, they ain't got no content that I can't get elsewhere.

·
Registered
18,480 Posts
I don't use an ad blocker, I put a mask on my modem and keep it 6 feet away from my computer.

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
I have favorite blogs and websites that I visit daily. Some of them tell me that I am using Ad-blocker, and ask that I turn it off for their site (which I have had already done) and/or add them to my whitelist. In short, I still get requests that I turn off my Ad-blocker, even though it is already turned off for that site. I can't help but wonder if there is more that I should do beyond clicking the red stop sign in the upper right corner of the header bar and selecting "off" for a website. Any ideas?
A conundrum may help you from getting pregnant, but it probably won't help to block ads!

I'm guessing that when you set a specific site to block ads, there are dozens of other sites that are "active" on that same link and since those are tied to the original link, they may be getting overlooked. It is like a game of whack-a-mole. Stop one leak and two more pop up.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
I use Chrome and when this happens I open the site in an Incognito tab. Leaves no tracks when closed. Edge offers Inprivate Browsing, which I understand is similar.

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
I've only turned off my adblocker on the browser of one of my virtual machines to see where the redirects were going. I contacted the admin of that site about it and basically was told to FO. Took me a month to hack their site and servers. I think I either rerouted all traffic to disney.com or changed their hosts file to only allow access to disney.com. It's been quite a while back in the windows 98/XP days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts