1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
It wouldn't load for me. :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Smithsonian spent a lot of time taping veterans around the turn of the century- I have had access to many of these over the years- being a true CW nut- at it always brngs chills to me to hear a Virginian describing the carnage at Gettysburg, or the sadness of surrender.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thanks foe posting, great history footage

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
It is amazing when you think about it the guys in the video actually fought in the war.. makes you realize it wasn't all that long ago in the grand scheme of things. My Grandparents knew Vertens of that war.

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
What a wonderful post...Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
That's a really nice video. I thought I'd seen just about all the footage of the Civil War and it's soldiers that exists, but I had not seen this one before. My Great Grandfather fought in that war. He passed in 1943 (?) and I have the US Flag that covered his coffin. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Thanks, may we never forget the sacrifice of those that have gone before us.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had 3 relatives/ Uncles who fought at Gettysburg. One is buried there----not a stones throw from where Lincoln delivered the address. I've been there several times, once during the re-enactment. Everyone should go there. It's very humbling----knowing what happened there.

I can't describe the feeling I got looking at his tombstone----still brings tears to my eyes. Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts