Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to accurize my pre-decocker 99AFS, but the only think I can really seem to find is an EFK barrel with a 6-month wait-time, and I guess the Weigand nosepiece is discontinued? Is there any other company that makes a similar piece? Also, what are my other options for barrels, and how would I go about getting a barrel bushing? No smiths around here afaik

·
Administrator
18,062 Posts
Formal Bullseye Shooting of Beretta and Taurus 92's has not been as popular lately, so manufacture of those items may not be as profitable as it once was, but it is still done by those who will make their own Bushings and Barrels, and install their own sights.

I've found the Standard OEM Barrel plenty accurate enough, provided I do my part, but if you just have to have something a bit better, Jarvis Gunsmithing and Bar-Sto Barrels are outfits that you should consider contacting.

Do keep in mind that as you make the action of your Pistol tighter, reliability may become compromised, as it will be less tolerant of firing residue. I recommend some trigger work, maybe some more accurate handloads, and a lot of practice, but do not recommend any of the changes you mention. My opinion, FWIW.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I think the best way to 'accurize' your PT99 is to spend the money you're gonna budget on a new barrel and trigger job to professional instruction and training. I know Ive got a long, long , long way to go as a shooter before I get anywhere near the degree that my PT99s accuracy could hold me back.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shoot weekly as it is... I'm a qualified small-arms instructor on my ship, as well as SRF A qualed. Security and ATFP are my job :p

My barrel's pretty much shot out, and I see no reason to buy another OEM barrel if I could upgrade. I've fired from sandbags before, taking my time, and the grouping just isn't as tight as I'd like it to be. The main thing that bugs me is I'll get a random flyer every 20 rounds or so. I have a serious amount of barrel/slide gappage that I'd like to remedy, is all.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I always get suspicious of people when they feel the need to list their "qualifications" online in order to feel like others are taking them seriously enough. :(

If you want to spend $$$ accurizing your pistol then go for it, you don't need to tell us how uber-tactical you are to justify wanting to do something to your own property. I once paid extra for premium gasoline, but I didn't pretend I was going to be street racing to justify it, I just did it because I wanted to. :D

That being said, I have heard good things about the Jarvis barrels or "Fire Dragon" barrels. And the extended/ported barrels look pretty darn slick! Just ask forum member
NJBphotography

·
Registered
693 Posts
Nicotine, I think he is just making the point that he at least likely the experience and skill to have found the limits of the gun. Even if he is completely lying, there is no harm is discussing the options for accurizing the pistol, beyond making the assumption that he is just the average shooter struggling to make fist-sized groups at 10 yards and blaming the gun :) .

I'd try to see if there aren't any heavier barrels (so that the barrel / slide gaps will be smaller), or look into having a Weigand-type nosepiece made.

I agree the barrel pictured above looks way slick!

·
Registered
129 Posts
No offense meant, I'm sure he was being honest. I may not have made my point clear, I just meant that someone's qualifications have nothing to do with whether or not they are entitled to discuss things or are justified in making certain modifications. This mentality seems to plague gun forums and it is a bit of a pet-peeve of mine. Sorry Roninsonic if it sounded like I was attacking you.

BACK ON TOPIC:
Have you seen this video yet?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No offense taken, Nicotine, it's all good... I just wanted to nip the whole"spend the money on being a better shooter" tangent in the bud, and I figured stating my quals would sound less asshole-y than tooting my own horn about how I can shoot this group at this distance or whatever. To be perfectly honest about it, in this case, it's the gun. I mean, it's reliable as hell, I've put over 2000 rounds through it since I picked it up at a pawn shop without so much as a stovepipe... But the groups just aren't where I'd like them to be, and the random strays really bug me. I OC this gun pretty regularly, and a stray round is pretty much my worst nightmare. Oh, thanks for the heads-up on the Jarvis barrels, Nicotine. It looks like their lead-time is a little more reasonable... A ported barrel might be in order. Their site says the barrels are oversize, so that should eliminate some of the slide-barrel play as well. This thing only gets OC'd and shot at the range, so size isn't really much of an issue. I can shove it in the bh serpa and go. I used to shoot my Sig most of the time. The command I'm at now uses the M9 instead of the M11 for a sidearm, so the Taurus has been upgraded from small-time plinker to my main range gun. After shooting the 229 almost exclusively for a while and then switching back to the pt99 the difference in accuracy was pretty apparent.

·
Registered
370 Posts
As long as we're talking tacticool...
I know it doesn't really provide what you're looking for, but Nicotine's post made me do it!
That being said, I put a brand new Beretta barrel in my PT99 (after I took the comp off and put it on the Beretta) and it tightend up the groups a bit. My PT99 was pretty shot out, as yours is. I like shooting the PT92/99 better than the 92FS because of the safety, so I figured why not put the new barrel on the gun I shoot more?
It made a difference but maybe not as much as what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
That is one sweet looking barrel Nicotine! I wonder what it would look like on my 745?
That would sorta defeat the purpose of "compact" though. Ha.
Maybe it would help my accuracy. I think it's me. Not the gun..{=>)

·
Registered
129 Posts
That's not my gun, it belongs to another member of this forum.

That two tone looks great! Not really diggin' the comp, but the colors look nice!

·
Registered
370 Posts
That two tone looks great! Not really diggin' the comp, but the colors look nice!
It is a great looking pistol... better now that I took the comp off and replaced the black barrel with the Beretta Inox one!
Now the Beretta is the Zombie Slayer and the PT99 is my IDPA gun.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would love to see pictures of it with the new barrel if you have any! With the inox barrel that thing should look like the polar opposite of my gun. :cool:

·
Registered
370 Posts
As a matter of fact, just took one this morning... But not to Hijack the man's thread I'll post it in a new one.
Your pistol is gorgeous, BTW.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update...

Blew my knee out again, so I didn't have time to lurk on forums for a while. Now that everything's calmed down, I've got the time to start tinkering again.

I've got a Beretta "D" spring, a full stock spring set, and a Wolff 15lb recoil spring enroute via USPS. When they arrive, I'll be doing a trigger job, full spring replacement, and most likely a little polishing work.

I still haven't replaced the barrel, although that's pretty high on my list of things to do. I'm still trying to decide. I keep flipping back and forth between a KKM and an EFK firedragon. I'm also still looking for someone that will make me a barrel bushing. The only guy I've found without a retarded turnaround is on the Beretta forum, but he refuses to work on a Taurus. I contacted Weigand, and he stated that he will no longer manufacture a nosepiece. Any information that anyone has on bushings would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also contemplating either doing the crimson trace grips conversion or drilling my front sight and glueing a tritium tube inside, possibly both.

·
Registered
5 Posts
roninsonic, Just A tip. there is a guy on Ebay selling stainless steel barrel bushings for Beretta 92 & 96. Just an insert that you have to solder or glass in but the tolerances are much closer than factory barrel to slide fit. I ordered a couple for my Beretta's but have not recieved them yet. For 10 bucks each I will try them out. Needless to say, I agree with you that 92 pattern pistols can be improved on barrel to slide fit. Also suggest heavier recoil spring for tighter lock up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One other thing i forgot in my last post. Are you sure your barrel is shot out after just 2-3000 rounds? I've never seen that before. It could be something else such as lead fouling or if your barrel is rough with machine marks you could have fouling from jacket material. Clean the barrel with sovent and then look at it closely with a light and magnifying glass. You will see fouling if it is there. A good brush and scrubbing will get out lead. Copper will take an amonia based solvent to remove. Once the fouling is out, polish the bore to help prevent it from happening again. I have had a barrel so rough it fouled after 30 jacketed rounds and slung bullets all over the place. Polishing solved the problem.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts