Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all

I just got home from yet another unsatisfactory range experience with my PT145. I really want to like this thing. It is easy to carry, but it is a good thing I have not had to shoot anyone with it yet, as I think I might do better throwing it at them. :(

I've read about the Heine straight eight sight, talked with the local gunshop owner/gunsmith, and practiced, but I am lucky to be hitting the mountain behind the target with this thing. So today I am shooting at 7 yards, at an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper with a printed out target on it. I set the sights just like the FAQ here describes, and start hitting about a foot below the paper! I gradually walked the hits up the paper until I was hitting at the extreme lower edge of the target. So I began to think, "that's it, I just stink, and I need a shotgun for all my defense needs". But wait!

I went back to my truck and hauled out my Springfield XD45 with the 4" barrel. Blam blam blam up to 14 blams, almost as fast I could pull the trigger. Part of that was frustration. But then I went and looked at the target (a new one, taped to the boards right next to the first one) and almost all the hits were in the black, and in a decent group to boot!

I read somewhere (here maybe?) about someone with a similar problem, and sending it back to Taurus where they did some voodoo on the barrel and now it shoots well for him. I really don't want this thing gone for months on end if I can avoid that. But if that is what I have to do...

Does anyone here have any wisdom for me?

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
PennsyP said:
Greetings all

I just got home from yet another unsatisfactory range experience with my PT145. I really want to like this thing. It is easy to carry, but it is a good thing I have not had to shoot anyone with it yet, as I think I might do better throwing it at them. :(

I've read about the Heine straight eight sight, talked with the local gunshop owner/gunsmith, and practiced, but I am lucky to be hitting the mountain behind the target with this thing. So today I am shooting at 7 yards, at an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper with a printed out target on it. I set the sights just like the FAQ here describes, and start hitting about a foot below the paper! I gradually walked the hits up the paper until I was hitting at the extreme lower edge of the target. So I began to think, "that's it, I just stink, and I need a shotgun for all my defense needs". But wait!

I went back to my truck and hauled out my Springfield XD45 with the 4" barrel. Blam blam blam up to 14 blams, almost as fast I could pull the trigger. Part of that was frustration. But then I went and looked at the target (a new one, taped to the boards right next to the first one) and almost all the hits were in the black, and in a decent group to boot!

I read somewhere (here maybe?) about someone with a similar problem, and sending it back to Taurus where they did some voodoo on the barrel and now it shoots well for him. I really don't want this thing gone for months on end if I can avoid that. But if that is what I have to do...

Does anyone here have any wisdom for me?

Thanks.

I think I would send it back to Taurus........I bought one last week and went to the range today and shot 200 rounds through it with only one malfuncion and I caused that, I was shooting as fast as I could single handed and had one miss-feed. The grouping on mine is excellent right at point of aim. I shot bowling pins most of the time with excellent results. Believe me, I ran this thing through its paces and am satisfied that it does what it should do. If yours won't, I'd get it made right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If your only problem is shooting low, check the weight of the bullets you are shooting. A heavier bullet will impact higher than a lighter one. My PT145PRO shoots point of aim with 230gr bullets. If you are shooting 165 or 185gr, try a 200 or 230gr before you give up on the gun.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Most of my newer Taurus semi-auto's shoot a tad low, but not as low as you are describing yours shooting. It is possible there is some kind of minor issue, have you tried a variety of ammo brands and weights?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm shooting 230 grain American Eagle FMJ right now. I have also run some WWB 230 gr FMJ, and I have a box of Blazer to try. I put a ruler on the target. I am shooting about 4" below the bullseye at 7 yards, and that was pointing it at the top of the target. I do not claim to be a deadeye, but the same bullets out of my XD45 were hitting within 2" of the center at the same distance.

Funny thing is, the pistol I shoot the most accurately is my Sig SP2022 in .40 S&W. It has sights similar to the Heine, but are not the same. I guess I need more practice before I can really say what the problem is, but my PT 145 Pro is the lowest shooting of the bunch.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I shot my PT145 low and to the left until I got used to the Heinie sights. Remember you have to put the front sight ON the target RIGHT where you want to hit it.

·
32,789 Posts
Jerking the trigger or other problems could be the cause. SA/DA triggers on these guns takes getting used to as well as getting a proper grip and trigger pull problems.

It might not be apparent what is happening.
Have someone else look at and critique your shooting stance and hold.

I was used to DA/SA triggers on the Ruger pistols and had to have a mentor or other person watch carefully at each step of the way and my technique. PT111Mil/pro triggers and the short grip made me unaware as to the what problems I was having. Was smart enough to ask for constructive criticism from knowledgable shooters who shot similar kinds of pistols.

Having corrected the problem areas, shooting was sweet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the responses. I just got back from another range session. I was over there to sight in a rifle, and got that done a little faster than I thought, and no one was on any of the pistol ranges, so I shot another 30 rounds. All of them were below the bull, even from 10 FEET AWAY! Other than that, the vast majority were dead on center, right up the center line, except for a few fliers.

I am going to have to do some looking to find someone who can critique me in real life.

·
Registered
135 Posts
That definitely sounds like a grip/shooting problem to me. If you're doing it at 10 feet, it's not the pistol.

If you have a video camera, you could just record yourself from a few angles taking shots. That might help too.

Or read up on some new techniques. What works for one gun, might not work for another.

·
Administrator
40,678 Posts
Had the same problem with my PT111 Pro. I found that I was milking the trigger which in turn caused me to push forward and downward. Once I figured that out and quit milking that thing, groups and placement were more than acceptible.

·
32,789 Posts
I would like to add one thing speaking of books that Drewbaca mentioned.

There is a Gun Digest book authored by Masaad Ayoob. 5th addition no less. This has all one wants to know about shooting. From stances,techniques,calibers,guns,grips, and a host of othershooting related items. The book has pictures that are self explanatory and he writes so the common man can understand it.

www.krause.com is the place to go. There are other authors and many good books dealing with firearms. Remember to click on firearms and knives first. Then click on handguns.

This is also a good way to start a reference library for yourself. This can be the size that you want and be updated every year or two.

Police Bookshelf and Paladin Press are other good bets for books and info on a variety of things.

·
32,789 Posts
One last thing. The above posters are correct in their information. SA/DA triggers need plenty of proper practice and experience. Once the basics are down, the rest is easy. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you shot this off a handgun bench or sandbag yet ? If you're still shooting low off a bench, your PT145 has an issue that needs addressed by Taurus.

I don't see many posts that talk about sighting new pistols off the bench on the first trip to the range. My PT145 shots were 12" left @ 10 yds when I had the first bench session. I found the rear sight was way left of center, but tightened down. It had to leave the factory that way. I moved it just left of dead center, and all was good.

I've also had some experiences in previous years with new guns out of the box, that had the wrong sights installed. eg. mini-30 Ruger standard shot way low....sent it back to Ruger, and they had installed mini-14 sights on it by mistake. Not saying that is the case here. But is the potential there ? Does anyone know if the Heinie rear sights are different on each of the PT models ? Are the dovetail mounts the same size ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I called Taurus about an unrelated matter - unrelated to my shooting ability with this thing at least, but related to the PT 145. One of the magazines will not hold the slide back on the last round, and it will not eject when the mag release button is pressed. The other magazine that came with it works just fine. A gunsmith I know fiddled with it, but could not get it working any better.

Since I had close to 15 minutes on hold in order to get to a human, I had ample opportunity to fire it with a snap cap. One hand, two hands, strong hand, weak hand, there was no flinching obvious to me. The sights stayed right where I put them.

When I did get through, the lady on the other end was pushy to the point of not letting me complete my sentences. :mad: She did tell me I could exchange the magazine. While I had her on the phone, I asked about it shooting low, and she offered to have them test fire the gun for accuracy. It will only take about five to six weeks once they get it. I told her no thanks. I will try shooting it off a bench first myself. If that doesn't work...

I am going to start looking for some books. Thanks for the link Qwiksdraw.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I need to ask, where are you placing the dot on the front sight in relation to the target? Most of us were taught to line up our sights and place the bull on top of the front sight. That will not work with my PT145 at short range. Using WWB or American Eagle 230 Gr FMJ, my PT145 will shoot to point-of-aim. That means, if I have my front and rear sights lined up, my firearm will hit where I place the dot of my front sight. Try it. It may work for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nightshift said:
I need to ask, where are you placing the dot on the front sight in relation to the target?
I suspect that the first time or two I had it out to the range, I was shooting with the bull on top of the sights. However, after talking with my local gunsmith, reading the Heine site, and the FAQ here as well, I have been lining the sights up as explained with the front sight over the bull. I had to go into town this evening, so I stopped in at an indoor range and spent some time shooting it again. I am getting decent groupings, and no failures of any sort, but the groups are consistently 3"-5" below the bullseye.

While in town I stopped in at the local bookstore, and they had Ayoob's book, so that came home with me tonight. Tomorrow I am going to build a fixture to hold a target so I can fire the gun from a bench at the range. None of the benches are close enough to the target boards to be of any use.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If it shoots off the bench alright. Have one of your friends sabotage you at the range by inserting a snapcap somewhere in your loaded clip. You will see what you are doing. just dryfiring will not show this as you know there will be no recoil. I have done this and it is rather humiliating but will help with your pushing of the gun. Had the same problem. It didn't show in your xd as the line of sight is longer and you notice it and prevent it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
MoReloader said:
If it shoots off the bench alright. Have one of your friends sabotage you at the range by inserting a snapcap somewhere in your loaded clip. You will see what you are doing. just dryfiring will not show this as you know there will be no recoil. I have done this and it is rather humiliating but will help with your pushing of the gun. Had the same problem. It didn't show in your xd as the line of sight is longer and you notice it and prevent it.
This is a great idea. I might actually do this with a friend of mine. He keeps catching himself dipping the front of the gun right before he fires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MoReloader, I like that idea and will give it a try. I will say though, that I have not seen a dip yet. I know that is not usually possible when the gun is actually firing, but I have a special instance here, and that goes back to my one magazine. It does not hold the slide back after the last round, and I have not been counting, so I tend to get one click at the end of a bunch of bangs. But I do like the idea, and in fact will give it a try today. I need to go to the library, and since the range is near the library... ;D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.