Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I was recently shooting my pt111 g2 9mm at 7 yards, shooting with both hands, my shots are at about a 5" spread. I was very frustrated. Then i shot 5 more rounds with one hand. All 5 shots were in a 2" bullseye ! I fired 5 more rounds one handed...same thing..bullseye. I have only shot around 500 rounds with handguns so my experience is limited. Anybody have any idea how i can be so accurate shooting with one hand and be so off shooting with both hands ?? Is this common with an inexperienced handgun shooter ??

Thanks for any advice and I'm glad to be a part of this forum!

Wags66

·
Administrator
39,696 Posts
Sounds to me like you’re doing something wrong with your grip using both hands. Try changing that up some way.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
What two handed stance are you using? Are you sure you are using your dominant eye for both stances? If you are using an offhand stance and using your right hand and right eye or left hand and left eye, you are "forcing" one eye to be dominant. On rare occasions, there is no perceivable eye dominance. Are you applying "Kentucky windage or chasing the holes around the target?"

Have you established your natural point of aim for either stance? In order to do that, perform the following exercise. With you gun empty, assume your stance, get a good sight picture. Now, without lowering the gun, close your eyes, lower the gun, move your head 60 or 70 degrees to the left or right. Now, without opening your eyes, raise your gun to a point where you think your sights will be on the target. If you are off left or right by a substantial margin, shuffle your feet until you get a good sight picture. Do not move your upper body. Your upper body is already "comfortable" with the stance. So, you adjust by moving your entire body. If you are off in elevation, move your arms to acquire a good sight picture. Practice that until you can, without a lot of concentration, acquire your stance, raise your gun and be on target with little or no adjustment. When you make ready to shoot, don't look at your gun until it's raised to the point of aim: look at your target and then bring the gun up to your eye level. That way, you don't hunch your shoulders and move the parallel line from your eye, through the sights to the target. Concentrate on your front sight. The sequence in acquiring the target should be, target, rear sight, front sight target. When those steps are complete you should have a focus on the front sight. Rear sight and target should be slightly out of focus. If you lose the front sight, you will miss the target. The front sight is the most important component in the entire geometry.

What I would do is use a sitting supported stance, the upper body in an Isosceles form and pick a spot on the target and shoot for that spot every time regardless of hitting or not hitting the bullseye. Establish once and for all your eye dominance. There are several exercised you can do. Make sure you are using good trigger control, and proper follow through. If you are using a Weaver or modified Weaver, go to an Isosceles. the Isosceles will give you the most stable standing stance. Start at about 10 feet from the target and gradually move back to the 7 yards. In your follow through, just go to the trigger reset and don't take your finger off the trigger. Don't look up after every shot. Two universal truths to shooting: 1) once the round leaves the muzzle nothing you do will change the impact point. Before the round leaves the muzzle, everything you do will change the impact point.

Hope this helps a little.

Reactions: dlr110

·
Super Moderator
36,036 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois and congrats on joining the ranks of pistol shooters! There is a "diagnostic target" that someone will post I am sure, there's a picture of it in this web page which derides the usage of those. Trigger control is one of the main reasons why people get off point of aim IMO. Making sure your pistol is empty (check twice visually) you can dry fire with a quarter set atop the muzzle end of the slide to train yourself to smoothly engage the trigger.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/diagnostic-pistol-target-waste-time/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ALL! I will try all of your suggestions. I am using my dominate eye when getting my sight picture but I am shooting alittle low and to the left. I am right handed. Also I seem to hold the sight picture more steady with one hand than with both. Maybe I should not drink coffee before I shoot....lol I don't really like the factory sights on my pt111 g2. I have a hi point .380 that Im very accurate with. It has narrow rear sight which I seem to be able to aim better?? I also think the heavier weight of the hi point helps me steady my aim better. Guess I need to practice practice practice with my taurus.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
36,036 Posts

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I was recently shooting my pt111 g2 9mm at 7 yards, shooting with both hands, my shots are at about a 5" spread. I was very frustrated. Then i shot 5 more rounds with one hand. All 5 shots were in a 2" bullseye ! I fired 5 more rounds one handed...same thing..bullseye. I have only shot around 500 rounds with handguns so my experience is limited. Anybody have any idea how i can be so accurate shooting with one hand and be so off shooting with both hands ?? Is this common with an inexperienced handgun shooter ??

well actually the gun will likely at 7 yards shoot 1 hole groups of 10--15 rounds that are a inch and half or so.
its when the human being touches the weapon and stats flinching, anticipating, and yanking the trigger that the weapon starts to get inaccurate.
so the more body parts that you are putting in contact with the weapon the more that you are messing up its accuracy.
remedy?
start practicing, if a newbie I suggest that you get some GOOD instruction either from a knowledgeable friend or an instructor (money well spent) and by a friend I don't mean a guy that bought a gun like 2 years ago and its been in his night stand since.
welcome to the forum as well.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois and congrats on joining the ranks of pistol shooters! There is a "diagnostic target" that someone will post I am sure, there's a picture of it in this web page which derides the usage of those. Trigger control is one of the main reasons why people get off point of aim IMO. Making sure your pistol is empty (check twice visually) you can dry fire with a quarter set atop the muzzle end of the slide to train yourself to smoothly engage the trigger.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/diagnostic-pistol-target-waste-time/
ask and thy shall receive!

Attachments

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am a very good shot with a rifle but I've found that being accurate with a handgun is a whole different ballgame. Yes I will practice and hopefully tame this beast. I will probably seek some professional training.

Thanks for all the advice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts