Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else shot both in side by side accuracy test? Using the same ammo in both at 25 yards using 2 different Smith Governor and 2 different Judge revolvers the Judges shot better groups. I do not recommend doing it but using Tracker 5 shot 45 acp moon clips in my Judge it shot 2" groups at 25 yards with 2 different 230 grain loads. 4" was best group of the day for Governors with any ammo at 25 yards. Before it is said I hate Smith, I have owned more Smith revolvers than Taurus. I do not judge a gun by the name on it. I judge by performance. I also know that 2 guns are not enough to judge the performance of any model. All companies have bad runs and good runs. I have owned 2 guns that were same make and model yet one was much better accuracy and mechanically. So has anyone else shot them side by side with the same ammo?

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I just wish I could afford one.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In being fair to both companies. Found a gentleman with a Governor that shoots as well as the Judge. We talked and he bought his after shooting one and being impressed. We have a common friend that said his targets were shot at 25 yards with both 45 colt and acp ammo. It also shoots buckshot as well as the Judge. Buy the gun you like and enjoy it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I cannot comment on the accuracy of the governor vs. the Judge but I finally handled a Smith Governor, its a finely made handgun,
what got my attention is how massive and heavy it was compared to the judge .... I've thought my 3x3 was big and bulky but the Smith is a much larger weapon. I'm very satisfied with the performance and accuracy of my Judge ....

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We talked about the difference in the two guns. He likes the extra weight and size because it helps with recoil. I would rather have a ultra light Judge, recoil for me is not an issue. He likes to shoot 45 acp. I bought mine for snakes with bird shot. He wants a Smith, I wanted a revolver that would shoot bird shot or 45 colt. We are both happy with what we have. It is always good to have a choice and more than one company building a product.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
The question is not fair.
The barrel lengths were not disclosed.
The cylinder lengths were not disclosed.
Jus' sayin'........

I have been shooting .45colt for well over 50 years and if I wanted
accuracy, I would choose neither in that caliber, short of short range
that had the capability.
A Judge or Governor was made for self defense with shotshells,
and I wouldn't begin to evaluate them with .45colt ammo.

Within 21 feet almost anything is acceptable.......even my side by side
shooting .45colt in a smooth barrel.

My first Alaskan in .44mag is more accurate than a Judge or Governor with .45colt
and my next Alaskan in .454casull is more accurate than the judge or Governor,
even shooting .45colt [I know you don't think the .44 is relevant here]

My XVR .460 is highly accurate with all three rounds.......with a 7.5" barrel.

My point is, don't buy a Judge or Governor to shoot .45colt..........
Maybe a M513 Raging Judge??

Side by side comparisons need to begin with more than the info provided above.
[Is your bass boat faster than my bass boat? Does it catch more fish than mine?]

The ammo has to be specified, along with all other details.
Not being a horses ass, just being real if you want a real answer that matters.

·
Registered
27,166 Posts
ORN is not trying to give the definitive answer - he's posing the question. I think it is a fair statement of the question, and a request for information that is, I suspect, going to be hard to come by.

That said, you do have a point in that the result might be different with the same guns and different ammo.

But the real point, like ORN says, is that you should should shoot what you like and like what you shoot. :D

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sir, the question was about accuracy with a type of gun that is not expected to be used at extended ranges. Both regardless of company that build the gun have a reputation for large groups at close range with 45 ammo. For most that shoot handguns 2" groups with any defense gun is great. I shoot game at ranges in excess of 100 yards with revolvers. Scoped, well made revolvers with the right ammo can be dependable as a rifle within their limits. The Judge and Governor are not in this class and designed for a different use. Too often most of what is quoted is hear say and not from practical experience. This wasn't a question about barrel length or ammo type. Just a question of shooting the two different guns with the same ammo and how well they group. So far in every case where face to face. The ones claiming huge inaccurate pattern type groups at close range admit to have never fired one. I have owned and shot these type guns for years. Even the ones I didn't like would serve as close range defense guns. Spent some time this morning shooting with a new friend. I still like my Judge better than the Governor. Sort of like pickup or car, I like trucks. His gun shot better with some ammo than mine and mine better with some. His gun has a better double action trigger pull, mine a better single action pull. We both shoot revolvers in 45 colt and acp. He likes Smith but owns a Tracker with a scope in 45 acp. I like Taurus and Smith in 45 acp. He has answered my question in that he has a Governor that shoots good groups at 25 yards. The long cylinders are going to have an effect on velocity but are not a death blow to accuracy. The 460 Smiths can shoot short case 45's accurately. I shoot 454's and a BFR 45/70 but do not care for the Smith 460 as a gun for personal use. They are great guns, I would not buy another one. Great thing about this country is everyone has a choice and our free market system serves it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
As far as accuracy with .45 Colt, no, a Judge-type weapon is not going to be as accurate as a dedicated .45 Colt weapon, that should be obvious. Doesn't mean it's doomed to terrible accuracy, just that it's not going to be quite as accurate as another weapon that is dedicated and optimized towards the .45 Colt. People shouldn't be buying Judges (or Governors) for use as high-accuracy target or competition pistols anyway, as they are not made for that and are not optimized for it.

I agree with a prior statement that a Judge isn't meant to be used with .45 Colt, it's meant to be a defensive weapon used with dedicated, Judge-specific shotgun shells, and the .45 Colt is a bonus, not the primary purpose for it. Even so, it is chambered for .45 Colt, it does fire them, so it's a reasonable question: What kind of accuracy can you realistically expect? I tested in a Ransom Rest to find out. The Ransom Rest isn't perfect, but it is a well-known, well-tested and trusted mechanical device that removes "shooter error" from the equation.

With the most accurate ammo I could find for it, Federal 225gr SWC-HP, the Public Defender 2" barrel delivered a 5.5" group at 25 yards. It did about a 1.5" group at 7 yards. Plenty fine for self defense uses, not suitable for 100-yard hunting.

With the 6.5" barrel Raging Judge Magnum and .454 Casull, using the most accurate ammo I tested, it delivered a 2" group at 25 yards. Other types of .454 Casull stretched the groups to 3", but the Winchester Partition Golds that I used delivered group after group in the 2" range. At 7 yards it put all five bullets through one hole.

I have not had the opportunity to test a Governor.

·
Registered
880 Posts
i like them for their utilitarian use. i am not expecting tack driver accuracy as i am aware of their limitations. Practice should get you decent accuracy. for instance this guy is putting in the time. I am sure as time goes on and knowing your sight picture one should be able to get good groups out to 25 yards or even more. i look forward to the learning curve with these. i have finally got my loads down with 250gr rnfp and several new powders i stumbled across. in a few weeks i will have a bunch of practice rounds to start dialing it in. oh yeah!!!

Reactions: soundwave and YOT

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I actually appreciate the accuracy testing with the .45 ammo because I don't think of the Judge as just a short shotgun to only be used for self-defense; and I'd like as much info as possible before I buy one... which could be any time now if I can find what I want.

When they first came out one of the biggest selling points was their versatility and utility; reviewers pointed out that it could be used for self-defense, even suggesting it could be loaded at the same time with both .410 for work up close, alternating with the .45 Colt for shots further out.

But it could also be loaded with smaller shot for snakes and maybe alternating with some hotter Cor-Bon .45 Colt hardcast rounds (or .454 Casull in the 513) for unfriendly 4-legged critters; seems like it'd make an ideal trail gun, which is what really interests me.

In that capacity, the accuracy of the .45 caliber rounds becomes pretty important. Anyway, thanks for the test results and info; sounds like the Judge is plenty accurate for my needs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
As far as accuracy with .45 Colt, no, a Judge-type weapon is not going to be as accurate as a dedicated .45 Colt weapon, that should be obvious. Doesn't mean it's doomed to terrible accuracy, just that it's not going to be quite as accurate as another weapon that is dedicated and optimized towards the .45 Colt. People shouldn't be buying Judges (or Governors) for use as high-accuracy target or competition pistols anyway, as they are not made for that and are not optimized for it.

I agree with a prior statement that a Judge isn't meant to be used with .45 Colt, it's meant to be a defensive weapon used with dedicated, Judge-specific shotgun shells, and the .45 Colt is a bonus, not the primary purpose for it. Even so, it is chambered for .45 Colt, it does fire them, so it's a reasonable question: What kind of accuracy can you realistically expect? I tested in a Ransom Rest to find out. The Ransom Rest isn't perfect, but it is a well-known, well-tested and trusted mechanical device that removes "shooter error" from the equation.

With the most accurate ammo I could find for it, Federal 225gr SWC-HP, the Public Defender 2" barrel delivered a 5.5" group at 25 yards. It did about a 1.5" group at 7 yards. Plenty fine for self defense uses, not suitable for 100-yard hunting.

With the 6.5" barrel Raging Judge Magnum and .454 Casull, using the most accurate ammo I tested, it delivered a 2" group at 25 yards. Other types of .454 Casull stretched the groups to 3", but the Winchester Partition Golds that I used delivered group after group in the 2" range. At 7 yards it put all five bullets through one hole.

I have not had the opportunity to test a Governor.
Wow I had no idea the 6.5" barrel was so accurate. I think I have to get myself one of those!

·
Registered
880 Posts
G8R8U2 i was of the same mind set about the judge. I like the idea of the 410 federal 000 short range use but primarily i load 45 colt. The previous reviews and comments on this forum got to to try the Poly Pd. it shoots almost as good as my M450 45 colts. which in turn led me to decide on picking up a larger version of the judge. My thought process is why not have a weapon that can provide multiple uses. I know i am getting a compromise with it but if it performs with decent accuracy then why not. Kind of like having an AK over an AR. The AK gets the job done well. After today's range session I will begin to load in mass and start working on accuracy with both the PD and the judge.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
i like them for their utilitarian use. i am not expecting tack driver accuracy as i am aware of their limitations. Practice should get you decent accuracy. for instance this guy is putting in the time. I am sure as time goes on and knowing your sight picture one should be able to get good groups out to 25 yards or even more.....

I completely agree. You nailed the sight alignment. Both my son and I have shot consistent minute-of-pizza-box groups out to 100 yards with our Judges.

·
Registered
880 Posts
YOT wish it was me that nailed the sights, but i can't take someone's credit. this is a you tube video i found the about a month ago.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
YOT wish it was me that nailed the sights, but i can't take someone's credit. this is a you tube video i found the about a month ago.
Ah... Gottcha. Credit where credit is due and all that. He was right.

I really don't know why Taurus designed a sight the employs a fiber that you only use half of, but that is the way they line up for normal handgun target range.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Ah... Gottcha. Credit where credit is due and all that. He was right.

I really don't know why Taurus designed a sight the employs a fiber that you only use half of, but that is the way they line up for normal handgun target range.
I think the sights are set up for quick defensive acquisition. Kind of like glock or big dot sights. If you look at the actual sight and what it is housed in then the actual top of the sight housing when level with rear notch is your sight picture for attempting more accurate shots. This presents a picture with the red dot half visible.

Sounds reasonable. i am going to test it out the next range day. this coming Wednesday or Thursday.

·
Registered
502 Posts
One thing to remember about the Judge is, that with the wide variety of ammo available, the point of impact may change depending on what ammo you're using. Of course this can be true of all guns, but it seems like it's a bit more exaggerated of an issue with the Judge. For example, I find that PDX1 .410 seems to prefer to shoot high and left as compared to most rounds I try out of my PD.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
One thing to remember about the Judge is, that with the wide variety of ammo available, the point of impact may change depending on what ammo you're using. Of course this can be true of all guns, but it seems like it's a bit more exaggerated of an issue with the Judge. For example, I find that PDX1 .410 seems to prefer to shoot high and left as compared to most rounds I try out of my PD.
Correct, but most will not shoot their Judge enough to realize that it may be finicky.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts