Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure it is just me and not my pct 738. The sights have such a low profile, I find it very hard to place my shots. When I do hit the target, I am grouping about 7 o'clock. I have not issues when using my dad's 9mm Beretta and a 22 revolver. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Could be the sites. I new my 24/7 shot low and to the left out of the box.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
The sub-compact guns like the PT738 are in a field all by themselves when shooting them compared to other, larger guns. When a right handed shooter hits low and left, they are usually at fault. With the long trigger pull of the 738, you are probably pulling it left in anticipation for it firing. Shoot it some more and see if you don't improve. Try putting just the pad of your finger on the trigger and concentrate on a straight backwards pull of the trigger.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
The sub-compact guns like the PT738 are in a field all by themselves when shooting them compared to other, larger guns. When a right handed shooter hits low and left, they are usually at fault. With the long trigger pull of the 738, you are probably pulling it left in anticipation for it firing. Shoot it some more and see if you don't improve. Try putting just the pad of your finger on the trigger and concentrate on a straight backwards pull of the trigger.
Bingo, pad of the finger not the joint.

"Some people say that the first joint of the finger should be used instead of the pad of the finger tip on a heavy double action trigger, but this can cause problems with accuracy. Because of the long arc of a double action trigger, your finger will slide down the trigger face as it is pulled. When using the finger pad, this is not a problem, but if you are using the first joint of the finger tip to press the trigger the motion needed to keep your finger joint in constant contact with the trigger face can cause the pistol to twist. This does not mean that it is wrong to use the first joint of the finger on a double action trigger- don’t misunderstand. In general using the pad is much more accurate, faster and smoother. But heavy triggers and double action triggers with a long arc can be easier to operate using the finger joint. Using the first joint gives you additional leverage that helps operate heavy triggers without dropping the front sight. If you choose to use the first finger joint as opposed to the pad of your finger tip, take care not to “milk” the trigger. Milking or grasping the trigger occurs when using the joint of the finger causes the finger to contact the frame of the gun or allows the entire hand to curl with the trigger finger as part of the motion. For this reason, it is better to learn to use the pad of your finger and, if the trigger pull is too heavy, lighten the trigger or use a different pistol with better ergonomics or a lighter trigger pull."

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=1789

·
Registered
281 Posts
Using Pad fixed the problem for me.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
A few hours dry firing with snap caps can do wonders for your trigger pull and will usually miraculously move that group up and left back on target. Here is a diagnostic chart. If you are a lefty, flip the chart horizontally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts