Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if somebody could explain to me how to post a link off the web i would post it. i went to dealer today he pulled up story about accidential shooting at local indoor range. it turns out one of his regular customers was clearing his weapon when it discharged the bullet went through the stahl wall and hit the man next to him in the side and stopped in the abdomen. the guy in the stahl next to him was his friend. turns out the guy whom got shot also is the UPS delivery man that delivers the firearms to the dealer i go to. the dealer i go to knows both of these guys well. also this guy has to live with shooting his friend. if you search or google accidental shooting in Eastlake Ohio the story will come up along with a bunch of comments posted.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
go to the web page that this article is on
in the url bar click to highlight the whole url
right click
copy
come back here
right click
"paste"
voila

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Man, I always hate to read of something like this.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I hate to say it but I can see how this occurred. I have had some close calls at my local range, mostly new shooters with no experience. They think that shooting a gun is a novelty and rent powerful weapons, stand around video recording each other and think it's hilarious when they have a hard time putting a round down range becuase of the recoil. I have complained often. I try to go at odd hours. Another reason all ranges should have range officers on duty at all times.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
This is one reason why I prefer to hit the range on bad weather days, less chance of accidents like this because only real range rats will brave the cold and snow. I've seen people out on nice days deciding to run a full magazine right after someone calls clear, one guy actually began shooting when people started to make the march out to the target posts. But since the game warden had left about 10 minutes prior to make his rounds, there was no one to directly report him to.

·
Registered
773 Posts
This is the reason I prefer to shoot on my own property with either just me, my family or close friends I trust.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Glad I have a place where my family and I can shoot in peace and not have to worry about idiot's.

Reactions: sandman 11

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Muzzle discipline.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes the indoor range i am a member at, the weekends from late morning thru late afternoon is the worst. a lot of first time shooters renting pistols that don't know firearm safety. at this range there is no range officer inside the range,but if a member complains about unsafe firearm practice they do come in and warn, then keep an eye on whom ever is unsafe. i have seen them make people leave the range. i no longer shoot during the busy hours.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I guess Im thankful that all 3 ranges around me have shooters that are all well seasoned. Most of the time when we go theres no one there or we will wait for them to finish. If I dont know them personally I dont trust them!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
This wasn't an "accidental shooting". This was an act of stupidity caused by a careless lack of muzzle control.

Thanks, Dimwad, for giving the Brady bunch and their ilk more 'ammunition' to use against responsible gun owners.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Although the UK's firearms laws are over the top, this sort of accident is rare here because of the law.

Ranges here are only usable by club members or probationary members - who are well drilled with range safety before they get near a shooting point.

They are always supervised on the range for the 13 visits (within a three month period) they have to make and only then are they are considered for full membership.

If they make full member then they can apply for a firearms licence.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
I'm not so quick to judge in a case like this. I don't know either of the people involved, and I wasn't there when it happened, but I do feel for them both. OTOH, I'm not excusing the shooter, either. Certainly it shouldn't have happened, but all it takes is a moment's distraction and it could as well be anyone here. Yes, anyone here. We're all human. I feel confident that no one here can say he or she never, ever fell prey to a distraction at a critical moment. We preach and practice muzzle control, we're very aware of our surroundings, but we're not perfect. There's an old saying in the aviation community that there are two kinds of pilots, those who have made a gear-up landing and those who will. While a negligent discharge is not inevitable, it can happen.

·
Registered
32,090 Posts
I'm not so quick to judge in a case like this. I don't know either of the people involved, and I wasn't there when it happened, but I do feel for them both. OTOH, I'm not excusing the shooter, either. Certainly it shouldn't have happened, but all it takes is a moment's distraction and it could as well be anyone here. Yes, anyone here. We're all human. I feel confident that no one here can say he or she never, ever fell prey to a distraction at a critical moment. We preach and practice muzzle control, we're very aware of our surroundings, but we're not perfect. There's an old saying in the aviation community that there are two kinds of pilots, those who have made a gear-up landing and those who will. While a negligent discharge is not inevitable, it can happen.
I think if you make a gear up landing, it is out of flying a plane you shouldn't be flying or you aren't paying proper attention to your checklist. Also, there may be times you have to make a gear up landing.l However, you never have to shoot the person next to you on the firing line, unless his last name is Manson! At least hopefully!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I'm fortunate in that I can usually go shooting when the rest of the world is at work. I shoot at a gun club, and nine times out of ten I've got the range to myself. If there happens to be other shooters there I watch how they're handling their weapons, and if they do something unsafe I'm not bashful about calling them on it. There's an indoor range that's much closer, but I avoid it like the plague. All you have to do is walk out on the firing line and take a good look around - there's bullet holes everywhere. Too many idiots on public ranges.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Sometimes my son and I go to an unsupervised range in a state park.
This range attracts many young shooters, some of them with weapons they are ill equipped to handle, so the dril is that we go as a family group - four or more members - and there is always someone keeping an eye on the airheads.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Although the UK's firearms laws are over the top, this sort of accident is rare here because of the law.

Ranges here are only usable by club members or probationary members - who are well drilled with range safety before they get near a shooting point.

They are always supervised on the range for the 13 visits (within a three month period) they have to make and only then are they are considered for full membership.

If they make full member then they can apply for a firearms licence.
I'm sure the length of the barrels and the 'stocks' have something to do with the rarity of incidents in the UK. Pistols are inherently more dangerous than long guns due to their compact size. They're just a lot easier to point in the wrong direction. I'm sure the range training and supervision helps too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts