Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not your typical AD...even the range guys were shocked.

I was in the middle of bringing pain to a target when there was a bright flash right next to me and I felt something on my arm. I put the gun down and looked to my right where I keep my ammo on the bench. There were bullets still in the tray surrounding the explosion but they all shot just fine afterwards.

Here's the tray and leftover round

The tray was sitting on a full box of ammo....the bullet had partially lodged into the unopen box and rested on other bullets :eek:

Here's the one that blew

This is .40 S&W ammo and I was shooting it out of my Steyr M40-A1. An interesting note about the Steyr is that it throws brass straight up in the air when ejecting. Apparently, this was a freak incident and as you can see on the primer, an empty casing that bounced off the ceiling tile hit it hard enough make that kind of dent and set off the primer. We even put the rim of a cartridge over the primer and it's a perfect fit.

Turns out I didn't escape minor injury. I didn't even notice until my wife and I were sitting on the couch and my right arm kept brushing up against her shirt and it felt like there was a scrape on my arm. It's just scratches but man this s*** is irritating when my shirt sleeve rubs on it!

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Wow! The Lord was with you that time! It's great that you were not
seriously injured. That primer was just about pulverized! Glad that you're okay..

·
Registered
296 Posts
And people say that there are no accidental discharge only negligent. THAT looks like an accident. Bullets ganging up on humans and just going off without much help from the gun. Don't let the news get hold of this story. Glad nobody was seriously hurt.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Seriously, what are the chances of that? A casing bouncing off the ceiling and hitting a round hard enough, AND in the exact location to fire it. Would have scared the stuffing out of me...
Great post and shooter beware of that ejectile dysfunction! ;)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Crazy! I didn't think a flying case would have enough forse to detonate a primer...thanks for pics!

I used to have Steyr M9-A1 but never had that happen lol, I'm sure people at steyrclub would like to see it as well.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
BadAndy, you had both unusual happening, and the luck of the Irish. My mind said what if the one that ignited, had ignited one in the box below.

Glad to see only scratches, and one heck of a report of an incident.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Robby said:
BadAndy, you had both unusual happening, and the luck of the Irish. My mind said what if the one that ignited, had ignited one in the box below.

Glad to see only scratches, and one heck of a report of an incident.
The bullet was actually lodged in the box below the tray, resting up against an un-fired round!

My Steyr not only throws brass straight up but it rockets them out! I got smacked in the head with brass and the impact hurt more than the burning from it. I sent the gun to Steyr service to get the updated extractor and they're going to give a good look.

·
Registered
959 Posts
BadAndy,... hard to wonder what the ODD's are of that happing...???

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Holy Smokes... :eek:
Man.. i am glad you are OK..
Hope you believe in angels :D

That is the crazest thing i have ever heard or seen in shooting...Wow

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Unbelievable---I have never seen anything like that before. :eek:

Go play Powerball or MegaMillions.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Guess I will keep mine out of the way next visit to the range.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Yes, go buy a lottery ticket.

I'm another who's never heard of anything like this before.

Steelheart

·
Administrator
39,367 Posts
I'll never see the ammo in trays sitting out at the range the same way again.
Maybe some sort of lesson for us all?

:angel:

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Smokewagon said:
I'll never see the ammo in trays sitting out at the range the same way again.
Maybe some sort of lesson for us all?

:angel:
You know, after I logged off last nite! I was thinking the same thing. It is convenient to have it on the shelf there. Quicker reloads, but at what price. I bet the range where it happened takes a look at what they want to do.
I do not carry ammo that way here on the farm, and no ceilings close by but I think I will keep boxed ammo under the seat of my utility vehicle just in case.

·
Registered
384 Posts
First of all, like the others, I'm glad you're OK. The Lord does work in mysterious ways. I own a Steyr M9-A1, and yes it does throw spent casing up in a rather strange manner. Because of your report I will now be extremely careful with exposed ammo on the bench when shoot indoors.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bet the odds of this happening again to me or anybody else are pretty dang high!! I'm still going to keep my rounds covered from now on though...just in case ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts