Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I was able to get a PT640 today at Academy. Last night I did a search and found the PT640 listed on the Brazilian Taurus website under POLICE PISTOLS, and used the Google translate service to translate the Portuguese to English.

The PT640 is a medium frame .40, DAO. The PRO version is almost identical except that it is listed as DA/SA.

I also searched online for anyone that might have PT640 magazines, include several dealers of hard to find magazines. NONE were listed, and emails sent to several specialized dealers of hard to find magazines indicated that none had them.

Does anyone know where I could find additional mags for the PT640?

Thanks!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I got this gun today, I'm pretty happy with it.
Congratulations on your new pistol.

We'd certainly like to take a gander at it if you'll kindly post a pic! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
PT 640 Mags (MAYBE), PT 145, PT 111 , 24/7 .40 Compact mags on sale at Cabela's

I can NOT yet vouch for the accuracy of the posts on the Brazilian gun blogs, BUT it appears that the Taurus 24/7 .40 COMPACT magazines may be the SAME as the PT640 mags.

Tonight I ordered several of the factory original 24/7 .40 Compact 11 round magazines from Cabela's, where they are on sale for HALF PRICE at $19.88. (Free shipping on $99 orders with code WGIFTS, expires 11/29).

For the same price Cabela's has the mags for the MIL PRO 9mm and 45acp. I had previously bought some of these for my PT145 PRO and they were perfect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I picked one of these PT640's .40 caliber today at academy too for 289.00. It seemed like to good a deal to turn down. I also would appreciate and info others may have on this guns, since it is very hard to find online and maybe what it the US equivalent version of this gun to compare to. So far I am happy with it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I shot mine yesterday, think I'm gonna do some sight adjustments, probably also get a Viridian C5 Laser for it sometime.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I picked one up also. What these are is a 140 Pro upper on a 145 Pro frame. They incorporated polymer rails into the magwell and use 24/7 C mags. The frame and slide are marked 640. The entire chamber area is stainless without finish. Serial # is SET678**. I'm happy because the 145 always fit my hands much better than my 140. I function tested the mag release on the unit I bought to assure the leaf spring was strong as that is the one problem I've had with two of four other Taurus auto's I own. Seems these will go the distance since the frame feels stronger. A perfect combination? I'll post back after I take it out and put some rounds through her. One thing I don't lke are thee stupid straight eight sights. Another thing that's a bit unuasual: no owners manual though any manual for another PT Pro is applicable.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
It appears the only differences between the 640 and the 140 MilPro are the picatinney rail on the dust cover (like the 145) and the length of the grip. It would be a hoot if the 24/7 compact 11 round mags worked! Keep us posted! Enquiring minds want to know!!! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I picked up the PT640 yesterday. They only charged me $269.69 I did not even notice this until just now.
This is my first hand gun. The directions for taking it apart were so so but I got it apart last night.

I hope to shoot it tomorrow.

Some noob questions.
I bought 180 grain Blazer amo. For target shooting does this sound about right?
I have shot shot guns M16 expert, rifles 2.22 ,.22, 60 cal,50 cal and .22, 3.57 hand guns. So I am not new to guns but this is my firsthand gun.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Winchester White Box 100 round value packs (165 gr FMJFP) work very well in my PT140 (sub 3" groups at 25 yards). Try those.

Oh, yes, welcome to the Forum from North Texas! :wave:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the info. Is it cheaper to pick them up online or buy them local?
Thanks for the welcome!
If I wanted to add a laser site what ones work on a gun like this one?

·
32,497 Posts
After doing research for PT640 or Pro magazines, nothing. Drat!

Sounds like a nice respectful call to 1-800-327-3776 and letting them know about the lack of magazines available and can they either expedite or kick a request to the right people to get you some magazines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine came with the Taurus "Polymer Pistols" manual, which appears to be for all of the PT pistols. I'm just happy that it will cycle the Federal 180gr ammo I bought that won't cycle through my Hi-Point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought, fired, for sale.

I bought one yesterday mainly because it is a 40 cal semi auto name brand firearm at a cheap price. Without firing and just cleaning to remove the thick factory oil prior to shooting I noticed that its easily disassembled but not as easy as my beretta px4 storm. Up Close it lacks sexiness as you can see the springs in the gap between the slide and frame, fit in hand is nice and balance Is decent. But a firearm is bought to perform so let's get on to that.... After 100 fmj remington rounds with zero jams I'm ready to sell it. First off the sights SUCK! Figure 8. The gun shot low and to the right consistantly with 3 shooters. Off by 5 inches at 10 yards although the groups were very tight. This gun would be an excellent canadate for a low profile laser attached to the intergeated pinicky rail on the frame.

I GOT WHAT I PAID FOR. $289.00 + tax
I've already started making calls to sell.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.