Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decide I need a truck gun??? I go to academy and pick up a Rossi 357 revolver, 3 inch barrel. Anyway, doing the paperwork and the gun desk manager explains to me and I have to acknowledge that Academy is limiting gun sales.
One gun per customer for every 7 days. And this means any Academy store since their computer logs sales and customer names.

They also have a sign on the ammo shelves stating the are also limiting ammo sales per customer per day? This causes me to laugh, they don't have any ammo, other than shotgun shells and some high dollar stuff.

Administrator
A couple of years back, there were shops limiting the number of primers you could buy. Things really are gettin' tight if you have to do that with firearms!

Reactions: Lil Beaver

Registered
Well they at least are trying to have something for other customers to buy, have to like that at least.

Administrator
Well they at least are trying to have something for other customers to buy, have to like that at least.
Agree. That was one of the reasons shops limited sales. If they hadn't, I would have had a long primer dry spell!

Registered
A friend of the family owns a pawn shop and I remember him telling me to never buy two guns from the same place within 7 days. Somthing to do with how they report it to the gubment.

Registered
Agreed. Some knucklehead in line with us at Academy was going on and on about how stupid the limitation was. The girl who worked there said it was so everyone could get a shot (pardon the pun) and not just some select few who can be there at opening hours every day there's a delivery. I raised my hand and said, "Yeah, I'm part of that 99%."

Registered
We have a shop in Lubbock that would buy every box of ammo and every gun to take back to their shop and sell at double the price from Academy and Walmart if there weren't limits. Smokewagon knows which one I'm speaking of and they recently bought out another shop, so they have two now and you can find any gun or ammo at either store, but you better have deep pockets.

I know a very well to do fellow who was reputed to have bought $250,000 of guns and ammo when BO was elected the first time, for his private vault, lots better than having bought gold.

Reactions: Lil Beaver

Registered
We have a shop in Lubbock that would buy every box of ammo and every gun to take back to their shop and sell at double the price from Academy and Walmart if there weren't limits. Smokewagon knows which one I'm speaking of and they recently bought out another shop, so they have two now and you can find any gun or ammo at either store, but you better have deep pockets.

I know a very well to do fellow who was reputed to have bought $250,000 of guns and ammo when BO was elected the first time, for his private vault, lots better than having bought gold.
So that's what happened to the other Jake!! He's hiding in his bunker at his undisclosed location, posting items on GunBorker. :D

Registered

Does he need an adopted son?

Registered
The local stores here in Bucks county PA are pretty bare. I saw a Hipoint 9mm carbine for $500, used.

Super Moderator
A friend of the family owns a pawn shop and I remember him telling me to never buy two guns from the same place within 7 days. Somthing to do with how they report it to the gubment.
Would like to hear Stallard's take on the gubmint reporting part of that comment. He apparently works for some huge gun store in KY - hope he will wander by. I don't mind the "rationing" to a point. Found some Hornady 223 at $36/box of 50 the other day at LGS but limit 1/customer. I could, of course, just go back day after day or have my (>21)son and wife pick up for me - but not that hard up for it and 1-2 boxes/month would suffice for me and I wouldn't want to impede a potential new shooter's movement to the sport.

I'm not sure they have any restrictions on how many guns anyone could buy at a time or per week/month, etc. . . . I would never do tha,t as out of all we might do, that would that would probably draw the most red flags . .

Registered
Based on this, I'm guessing I've got red lights, bells, whistles, underlines, bolding and arrows pointing at my name in "their" data base - 2-pistols in Sept. within 24 hrs; 1-more three weeks later in Oct; 2-more same day in Dec. - ALL from two separate Academy Stores. And if either one gets a S&W Shield in any caliber and/or a SD40VE, I'll be out the door with one or both. I have no control over when they have sales or stock on something I want (not need - want).

Registered
It is 30 days here where I live, they report it to the LPD. I think it is just local ordinances.

Registered
In the southern states that border Mexico any purchase of more than one pistol or select long gun or a combination of greater than one purchase from the same dealer/FFL does require the dealer/FFL to submit an additional forum to the ATF. This is within a period of 7 days. This is one of the buried little under lying bits of information required back around the time of the F&F program. I would guess that Academy doesn't want to be bothered with the extra paperwork required my federal law, or got caught in an audit.

And yes the ATF does follow up on multiple gun purchases. They were very polite when I answered my door and told me they were looking for me by name and would I be him. It is difficult to say NO when they are holding a 8x10 photo of me from my TX DL. Spent a little time talking and doing a little BS and they were on their way, said they had a number of others to call upon.

Registered
As a side note, before I got my visit from the ATF, I had made a couple of multiple gun purchased at a local dealer one was a two gun set in a display case and then a couple of two gun transfers from out of state from a dealer and an estate. Guess I raised a red flag along the way.

Registered
In the southern states that border Mexico any purchase of more than one pistol or select long gun or a combination of greater than one purchase from the same dealer/FFL does require the dealer/FFL to submit an additional forum to the ATF. This is within a period of 7 days. This is one of the buried little under lying bits of information required back around the time of the F&F program. I would guess that Academy doesn't want to be bothered with the extra paperwork required my federal law, or got caught in an audit.

And yes the ATF does follow up on multiple gun purchases. They were very polite when I answered my door and told me they were looking for me by name and would I be him. It is difficult to say NO when they are holding a 8x10 photo of me from my TX DL. Spent a little time talking and doing a little BS and they were on their way, said they had a number of others to call upon.
As a side note, before I got my visit from the ATF, I had made a couple of multiple gun purchased at a local dealer one was a two gun set in a display case and then a couple of two gun transfers from out of state from a dealer and an estate. Guess I raised a red flag along the way.
Interesting. I'm vaguely familiar with that, but thought that with a CHL it wouldn't be an issue, since it is a 'no-call' anyway. Maybe I should expect a knock on the door too?? :confused:

Good thing I already sold my collection to fund starving orphans, and puppies too. :D

Registered
And this means any Academy store since their computer logs sales and customer names.
unless they have it a new system in place recently this info is not shared between stores or the main office in Katy. I worked there for 6 years, the last 3 as a manager and did paperwork on many firearms.

Registered
Informed of the gun limit today (1-gun per 7-day period) when picking up an S&W SD40VE. Was told it did not matter if I went to another Academy, it would still apply as it is entered into their data base for all stores. Took picture of their new gun and ammo limit sign and will post tomorrow. They did have a good qty. of pistol ammo, but it is now kept at customer service desk and doled out one box per caliber per customer.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts