Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so it won the Oscar in 1945 but it's still a great short film (a shade longer than one hour). It's about one of the old straight deck aircraft carriers, and they use the nom de guerre "The Fighting Lady" for the ship due to wartime restrictions. Her real name is Yorktown. Not the Yorktown that fought in the battles of Coral Sea and Midway - that one was sunk by a Japanese submarine while being towed back to Pearl Harbor. The Yorktown in this film was originally named Bon Homme Richard, but the name was changed to commemorate the Yorktown lost to the Japanese sub. But she was no pretender - she participated in several campaigns in the Pacific Theater of Operation and earned eleven battle stars and the Presidential Unit Citation. This film has all kinds of gun camera footage that I found fascinating - and it's in technicolor. She was decommissioned on 27 June 1970, but she can still be seen today at Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. So if you're into this type of thing, settle back and prepare for an hour of fascinating film...

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
A dear friend of mine is 88-years-old, and is a veteran who flew in WWII, Korean War, and Vietnam War, loaned me a DVD collection recently, which had this flick on it...and it was fascinating.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I find it interesting the metamorphosis our carriers have gone through. They started by just putting a flat deck on top of existing boats and flying planes off the end. The straight deck just blows my mind. These days with angled decks they land at full power, and if they miss the wires they just go around and try again. Back then they cut their motors, and if they missed the wires they had a barrier to fly into. I'll bet that would get your shorts in a bunch!

And another interesting thing about this movie - Greg 'Pappy' Boyington claimed he was in this movie briefly - but not in an airplane. He claimed that the film briefly shows the small pit in which he and five other prisoners of war took cover during the Truk raid.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool pic GWK. Looks like somewhere along the line they installed an angled deck. It amazes me the modifications that can be made on something so BIG.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy mackerel! It looks like that Tomcat's wings would almost span the entire deck if they were extended!
I didn't catch the relatively modern planes on the deck until you mentioned it - had to zoom in, and you're right. Give you an idea of how big the Nimitz class carriers are. The Nimitz is 200 feet longer, and almost 60 feet wider. Big-badda-boat-badda-bing!

Here's a shot of the U.S.S. Eisenhower (Nimitz class) for comparison...

·
Registered
29,717 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard about the magnetic catapults. Seems like a great idea. Less maintenance and fewer moving parts. I'm wondering if this technology is an off shoot of railgun technology.

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
The new Aircraft carriers are what makes us the game changer in the world . If crap breaks out we send in a Carrier group and it suddenly calms down. The destructive power of one can take out whole Countries. Its the size of our fleet that changes minds not diplomacy or the threat of Nukes. We are not going to Nuke a country but Bomb the hell out of them and control there air space takes the fight out of them every time. Dictators fear smart bombs and the fact we can put one anywhere we want.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The new Aircraft carriers are what makes us the game changer in the world . If crap breaks out we send in a Carrier group and it suddenly calms down. The destructive power of one can take out whole Countries. Its the size of our fleet that changes minds not diplomacy or the threat of Nukes. We are not going to Nuke a country but Bomb the hell out of them and control there air space takes the fight out of them every time. Dictators fear smart bombs and the fact we can put one anywhere we want.
Yup - they can run, but they can't hide.

0:22 :D:D

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I heard about the magnetic catapults. Seems like a great idea. Less maintenance and fewer moving parts. I'm wondering if this technology is an off shoot of railgun technology.
It is very similar...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts