Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dislike Walmart, and don't go there too often but I needed a padlock and it was on the way home. Just out of curiously, I checked the ammo section not expecting to be impressed with the offerings. I wasn't disappointed. Except for one, count em'... ONE box of .22WinMag, there was not a single box of handgun ammo to be found. It was the same deal the last several times I checked over the past few months or so.

Is this the new normal at Walmart these days? Are they hiding their HG ammo somewhere out of sight? I hear some people seem to be getting ammo at Walmart but there is none in my area. I understand with the gun buying craze awhile back but availability seems to be getting better at a lot of the LGS I've been to lately so why are the big boys like Walmart and Gander Mountain not getting any ammo these days?

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Try checking in the early morning hours. Thats the only time I can catch anything at walmart.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Why indeed? The chap in the store here says the manufacturers are limiting the supply. I wonder....

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I live equal distance between 2 WMs. Last week I was in one of them and decided to check the ammo cabinet while I was there. There were a few boxes of rifle ammo. I start a conversation with the clerk and he tells me they are rarely getting any shipments of ammo. I'm thinking really?

About 5 days later I'm at the other WM. I decide to check the ammo cabinet. Of course it's empty too. In the conversation with the clerk he says to be there at 7a.m if you want ammo. Again, really? I say it would be nice if they changed the time of day they put that stuff out. Not everyone can be there at 7a.m. He says that corporate's thinking is that everyone has a day off. I say but it may not be on the day the ammo comes in, are you getting ammo every day of the week. He says maybe not every week but almost every day of the week. Really?!

So I have 2 WMs about 6 miles apart, the way the crow flies. One isn't getting any ammo and the other is getting ammo 5 to 7 days a week all stocked at 7a.m. hmmmm

Fortunately I reload most of my own but it would be nice to buy some 22lr.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'd suggest shopping elsewhere for ammo unless WM is the only game in town so to speak. Every DB profiteer has been lining up at their ammo cabinets for the daily re-stock and that's only if their DB employees haven't plundered the truck before its offloaded so THEY can resell it to some dummy who's willing to pay the price. WM is NOT a gun store or an ammo store, they are a big box retail outlet that just happens to carry a small offering of those two items. I will say that when they do have any ammo available, at least it's priced right but a cheap box of nothing, leaves nothing. When inventory levels return to normal, ( and I pray they do), WM will again be worthy of a regular visit to get low cost ammunition like .22 rimfire and defensive handgun calibers. I personally think the reason the scalpers have had such a run on the WM supply is because a smaller, independently owned LGS would have caught onto the scam by seeing the same faces buying up certain flavors of ammo regularly and showing them the door with instructions to stay out. The big box stores don't care and see so many people that its just another normal day for them. The smaller shops have been getting ammo, priced a little higher than WM and they still have box limits but I'm going to support the LGS as long as they don't gouge.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
...I personally think the reason the scalpers have had such a run on the WM supply is because a smaller, independently owned LGS would have caught onto the scam by seeing the same faces buying up certain flavors of ammo regularly and showing them the door with instructions to stay out...
Actually, around me, part of the problem is that a few of the LGS' *are* the scalpers. I know of two LGS' who were sending people
in to WM to buy up anything, then reselling it at double the price. One of them was selling the $5 boxes of.223 TulAmmo for $25/box.

Reactions: jwc007 and Wingshot

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Actually, around me, part of the problem is that a few of the LGS' *are* the scalpers. I know of two LGS' who were sending people
in to WM to buy up anything, then reselling it at double the price. One of them was selling the $5 boxes of.223 TulAmmo for $25/box.
Oh, your not alone there, we have that problem too but there are so many mom and pop FFL dealers within a 100 mile radius with several who do NOT gouge and the word gets spread pretty quick about the ones taking advantage of their customers. These are tough economic times as we all know and these shops that choose to spit on the people who help pay the light bill will eventually feel the pinch and wonder what happened.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
All of the Walmarts around here that I have visited have no ammo at all except for shotguns. Lots of AR15's but nothing to shoot. Go figure. :mad:

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I bought 3 100 round Win WB's on the 3rd, They put it out between 8-8:30 at my store and its gone by 9am at the latest.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I live equal distance between 2 WMs. Last week I was in one of them and decided to check the ammo cabinet while I was there. There were a few boxes of rifle ammo. I start a conversation with the clerk and he tells me they are rarely getting any shipments of ammo. I'm thinking really?

About 5 days later I'm at the other WM. I decide to check the ammo cabinet. Of course it's empty too. In the conversation with the clerk he says to be there at 7a.m if you want ammo. Again, really? I say it would be nice if they changed the time of day they put that stuff out. Not everyone can be there at 7a.m. He says that corporate's thinking is that everyone has a day off. I say but it may not be on the day the ammo comes in, are you getting ammo every day of the week. He says maybe not every week but almost every day of the week. Really?!

So I have 2 WMs about 6 miles apart, the way the crow flies. One isn't getting any ammo and the other is getting ammo 5 to 7 days a week all stocked at 7a.m. hmmmm

Fortunately I reload most of my own but it would be nice to buy some 22lr.
I found that most of the WM clerks don't have a clue what they are talking about. Walmart near me gets ammo 5-6 days a week. Ask the evening clerks and told me they have not seen any ammo in months. As the morning clerks and they tell me it comes in almost every day and sells with in a hour of hitting the shelf. They also don't put it out at the same time every day but usually will do it between 7:30 and 10:30 am. They have no problem telling the people that come in that it is still on the truck and will put it out when they get to it. Kind of puts a damper on the people camping out every day waiting for it.

Reactions: Wingshot

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
Every big box store around here, Fleet Farm, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, WalMart, Dick's, and such are not getting any quantities of ammo.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Walmart near me had 3 boxes of 100 round .40. I actually passed on it as i have enough for practice etc.... it was an odd feeling.
I was trying to find 7.62x39 - academy had it, but 1 box ( 20 rounds ) per person

·
Registered
88 Posts
My local WM has went ahead and taken out half of their ammo case. Last I checked the half that was still there only had a few boxes of rifle ammo (nothing I can use) and shotgun ammo. I haven't even seen any of the value packs of 12 ga. I have heard they have started putting all handgun ammo under the counter. I just go at about 4 AM and there are no employees around to ask about it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
A Wal-Mart employee told my brother that they get the shipments around 10:00 P.M. and are sold out by Midnight. But that was a few months ago so it may have changed.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Day by day it changes here. Sometimes I even see 22.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Snagged a 100 round box of .40 WWB at my local Walmart shortly after 7 a.m. last Saturday, then went to Academy and got a box of 9mm, also 100 round WWB. Was allowed only one box in each caliber. Occasionally, Academy has .38 Special and .357 on the shelves unrationed, but no dice on Saturday.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts