Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a very green n00b when it comes to 1911s but I'm officially in love with the PT1911 SS AL. I have three SA/DA hammer fired autoloader pistols and one striker fired autoloader. I know there's a completely different mindset with the single action 1911. I'm familiarizing myself with how to handle the weapon and trying to learn as much about it as I can. I'm also going to study the Taurus manual before I even touch one. I know a CWP instructor who has carried a Wilson Combat 1911 exclusively, for years so I plan to extract some of his tips from over the years.

One concern is the price of ammo. I'd like to do the .45 ACP but the 9mm version looks more attractive cuz' the ammo's cheaper. All of my pistols are 9s.

What advice can I take from some of you grizzled veterans about owning a 1911?

Does it really boil down to if you wanna play (join the 1911 fraternity) you gotta pay?

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
195 Posts
1911 is a fantastic platform and once you hold one & shoot one you will understand.

.45 ammo is like you said--gotta pay to play. It does get cheaper in bulk

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hopefully you will chose the 1911 chambered in the classic 45 acp cartridge it was intended for as your first 1911 experience, to me first and foremost is the 45 acp with a close second being the 38 super and last the 9mm, I feel that to fully experience the 1911 you have to shot it in 45 acp.

Just a warning the 1911 tends to multiply it's like a ruffle potato chip you can't have just one.

Congrats.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I understand the concern as to ammo pricing. The wife and I decided 4 momths ago to downsize oir arsenal to only .45 ACP, .223/5.56, .22lr and 12 guage. We did decide to keep our .380 TCP because everyone needs a good pocket pistol. With that said back on topic.

I only ever reccommend the 1911 in .45. It is a timeless, classic design and was meant to be a .45. I dont feel like one is getting their gunsworth unless it is a .45.

But I digress. It boils down to preference and money. To each his own, happy shopping.

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
The comment about 1911 multiplication was right on. I bought my first, a Taurus PT1911, 3 years ago. My second, a mid sized (4" barrel) RIA 2 months ago. Both in 45ACP. Like you, I want to keep my costs down and my path to this is to limit calibers. I currently shoot 40S&W, 45ACP and 380ACP. I have resisted going with a 9mm so as to not have to worry about stocking another caliber.

You will not be disappointed with a 1911 in 45.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
1911's do pretty much make something inside of you say "I want another one.". The only downfall to that is if you have multiple in the same caliber and want to shoot them both when you go to the range, you now have two mouths to feed. Normally i would take 100 rounds of .45 ACP to the range for my 945, now i have to take 200 for that and my RIA 1911. Lately i've been buying the 250 round bulk packs of Remington UMC's from Walmart, that way i have at least 50 "back up" rounds just in case i run out of SD/HD ammo and have to load up some FMJ's.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A good friend bought one in 9 mm and it ran great, was accurate, had less recoil. Now after saying all that I'll add that a 22 long rifle conversion for one does the same thing. You can also get the 22 long rifle versions of the 1911 if you want something cheap to shoot. You can reload the 45 or buy bulk, I do both. As said before the true 1911 is a 45 and the others may look the same but shooting is a different animal. I love to play with the 22's and small calibers, but serious shooting the 45 wins hands down.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
My PT 1911 SS must be sterile! It's been an only child for over three years now. :D

Although I believe that 1911's are a thing of beauty and each has it's own charms, I find it hard to make my cheap self duplicate a model. An Officer or Commander model could probably push me off that spot however.

I began hand loading primarily to help beat the cost of shooting my favorite handgun and find that it's an effort with it's own charms and a nice pastime. Congrats of making the decision of adopting the venerable 1911 and don't forget to show it off when you get it.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Let me ask you this, do you like it because it is a 1911 or because it is a 9mm?? If you get it in .45ACP you might just stick to one. If you get it in 9mm, you will go back to get a 45. :D

As already stated, it is a personal choice. IMHO ... From the 'tactical' standpoint, THE 1911 was originally designed with 7 of the most powerful and easily available rounds (.45ACP), so you'll just be getting a reduced capacity 9mm. That said, I'd rather have my PT92. For now, you tell yourself (and your wife :D ) "It's just one", and you are in total control of the ammo cost. A bulk buy could last for years for one gun vs 'feeding' three 9mm. Also, depending on how often you go to the range, the 22LR kit would be 'cheaper' over time than even 9mm. Lots of good 'rationalizations', but I suggest you find a range to rent one, or take a box of ammo and ask somebody if you can fire a few rounds through theirs. Personally, I was already familiar with 1911s, but after much brand research, with the first shot from a rental PT1911 I knew it was for me. Good luck with that, and please keep us posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
I'm a very green n00b when it comes to 1911s but I'm officially in love with the PT1911 SS AL. One concern is the price of ammo. I'd like to do the .45 ACP but the 9mm version looks more attractive cuz' the ammo's cheaper. All of my pistols are 9s.

What advice can I take from some of you grizzled veterans about owning a 1911?

Does it really boil down to if you wanna play (join the 1911 fraternity) you gotta pay?
Well Ok I am old and forgetfull but a PT1911 SS AL doesn't compute??
if its a SS then its a stainless pistol, if its AL then its a aluminum framed/ steel slide 1911?
can't be both ??
either is a fine weapon, they are just not one weapon!
MY advise is to determine what kind of 1911 that you want?
do you want something to brag to the boys at the range? or do you want something that will have a good resale value? do you want a good reliable 1911? do you want to customize the weapon?
etc.
as for pay to play? well there are 2 calibers that were developed for the 1911 , the 45 ACP and the 38 Super, both now close to 100 years old, and the 45 acp is somewhat expensive , the 38 super is more expensive but still one of the msot powerful semi auto calibers available in a commercial loaded round.
the 9 MM well its by far cheaper, but then it was made for those Furein cuntrys guns!
IF you want to shoot somewhat cheap then get the 9 mm, or a 22 LR in the 1911.
the SS model is in the first picture, the AL model in the second and a 1911-22 in the third.
hope this helps.

Attachments

Reactions: Zylo_X

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
My PT 1911 SS must be sterile! It's been an only child for over three years now. :D
Obviously you live near power lines or a Old watch factory where they put radium on the watch dials!
MY 1911's are multiplying like rabbits!

Attachments

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Go with the .45. It's just the way it's supposed to be. Yes it is a little more costly but do the best you can with it and enjoy the 1911 in the manner it was intended. Plus a little caliber diversification is a good thing. In pistol caliber I have 9mm and .45 cal. Well and 22lr too for my "cheap" 1911 shooting!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Well Ok I am old and forgetfull but a PT1911 SS AL doesn't compute??
if its a SS then its a stainless pistol, if its AL then its a aluminum framed/ steel slide 1911?
can't be both ??
either is a fine weapon, they are just not one weapon! ...
I believe he had a typoo, and intended the 'dreaded' AR. :D

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I believe he had a typoo, and intended the 'dreaded' AR. :D
Yeah I meant AR. I just like the looks of it. And the stainless gives it just a little extra bling.
No its not the "classic" 1911. Resale value? Hmmm... didn't think about that. I'm not likely to sell it anyhow.
It's not really an issue for me but, the railed version is less desirable than the classic non-railed version?

·
Registered
624 Posts
redalrt, I think that your plunge will bring you years of satisfaction, excellent choice and beautifully 1911.

The only down side that I can imagine is the availability of leather holster, they do make a kydex holster for it though.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Yeah I meant AR. I just like the looks of it. And the stainless gives it just a little extra bling.
No its not the "classic" 1911. Resale value? Hmmm... didn't think about that. I'm not likely to sell it anyhow.
It's not really an issue for me but, the railed version is less desirable than the classic non-railed version?
olfarhors was confused because he is such a huge rail fan-boy, he was unaware of that model. :D

Frankly, I think 'resale value' is a bunch of hooey, especially when something is over priced, mass production to start with. Perhaps somebody with some dealer experience can confirm the percentages, not just the prices, between a used Kimber and a used Taurus. If resale value is a concern then you should be looking at Les Baer, Wilson Combat, etc. My investments are in my portfolio, not my gun case. :D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts