Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some searching and haven't come up with an answer here or thru Google....

Anyone know if the 20RD Mag (mec-gar) is a flush fit on a 99? Or how far it extends down? Any pics?

I just picked up a 9mm stainless 99 this weekend. My goal is to use it for local comps instead of my 96 or 45's.

For these matches I want the largest capacity without the mag sticking out the bottom of the gun. On my full size beretta style guns I feel most comfortable having my left hand (I am a right handed shooter) cup under the grip a bit. If I have hold it higher I tend to pull my shots low....

Thanks
ROB

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
the 20 rnders do stick out.. i do not know by how much..

im like you i'd prefer flush fit.

mec-gar makes 15 & 17rnders for taurus.. actually not sure if the 15's are still being made but you can get the 17's which are flush fit.

they make 15,17,18 flush fit for the beretta, the mags are the same except the mag catch notch is larger on the taurus.. i do not know why mec-gar does not make 18's for the taurus.

the mec-gar taurus 17'rnders come in both black and nickel plated finish.
the nickel plated ones are very purdy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joe,

We have a gun show here this weekend so I'm planning on picking some up. I'll stick with the 17rnd ones and maybe grab some 30 rounders also. We do "rolling thunders" around here atleast once a year where you shoot over a hundred rounds in just a couple of min. Capacity is important...

I saw the writeup on moding the 92 mags to work. I know 96 mags slide right into my 99 so If I can come up with some cheep 92 mag again I will give them a try.

I shot the pistol this weekend. Put 300rnds thru it (cleaning every 100) as a break in. It grouped realy well but did fail to keep the slide open at the end of quite a fiew mags (gun only came with one). I will have to get/play with a couple of other mags to see if it is the mag or the gun.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
did you get the gun used? it should have had 2 mags.. is the mag you have factory taurus?

failure to lock back is usually a spring problem.. although it could also be a follower issue or in rare cases a bent magazine body.

if it's a cheapo mag thats probably the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got it used, but never fired as far as I can tell. I know the last two owners and they never fired it. It only came with one mag, not sure if it is the factory one or not... never looked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts