Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered ammo from Able Ammo. When I ordered the ammo, some items were marked out of stock. (I did not order items marked out of stock.) I assumed if the items were not marked out of stock, it indicated Able Ammo had it in stock. Silly me. According to Able Ammo, if it is not marked out of stock it means the factory has the ammo, not that Able Ammo has it in stock. To make a long story short, Able Ammo charged my credit card for the full amount of the order when it was placed even though they could not ship it at that time. I have been waiting for my ammo and have now been billed by my credit card company for the full Able Ammo order and the order has not even shipped. Is this common practice for on-line ammo dealers or should I be upset? I have called Able Ammo for the past two days and left messages since you could not talk to a live person. No one called me back. I also used their on-line email message and got no response.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I have stopped by their previous location in Huntsville, TX, on 190 just east of I-45. Several months they moved to their new location just north of Huntsville, off of I-45, near the state prison museum.

As far as live FTF transactions, they have always been helpful and courteous. As far as online ordering, I know several local people that had purchased from in the past, before the current craziness, and had good service.

As far as charging your credit card for unshipped merchandise, as a point of FTC regs, they have 30 days to get it to you. There have been other threads here on TA spelling out the appropriate fed rules and regs on the 30 day rule.

They are a BBB accredited business with an A+ rating:
https://www.bbb.org/bryan/business-...iths/ables-sporting-in-huntsville-tx-10000598

If you do not get satisfaction, contact the local BBB for Huntsville, TX:
Home - Brazos Valley and Deep East Texas

Able's has always resolved BBB complaints promptly, and they will probably do so again in order to protect their A+ rating.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I've used them a couple of times and never had that problem, but I'd agree that it's inappropriate to charge your card before they ship. Most places I deal with do not do that. That said, I assure you they are not some kind of scam operation.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I have used them a time or 2 but it has been a long time, well before the current craziness. I got satisfactory service from them.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Heck, I didn't know they where in Huntsville.

I also didn't realize Ammunition To Go was in Brenham, until after I ordered ammo from them. I could have drove over there and picked it up myself. LOL.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
IMHO, it's poor form for them to charge you the full amount for a backorder without telling you up front. But, depending on how their business is structured, that may be routine and necessary in their case. And I'm sure it normally isn't a problem that comes up.

But, that's the rub here. Things aren't "normal" and haven't been for some time and that simple fact is testing all the normal assumptions and methods of a lot of businesses everywhere. In engineering, this would qualify as an untested boundary condition. All bets are off for what happens when you push any system (financial, mechanical, biological, or otherwise) to one of those states.

Point being, some patience is probably going to be necessary for some time, until all of this sorts itself out, one way or another. I've got pieces and parts on order from several manufacturers that are anywhere from, if they will even make a guess, 1 to 6 months out at this point and I've got several other well-known places that I need stuff from that won't even answer the phone they are so swamped. And that's to say nothing of trying to get ammo, of any kind, from anywhere.

That said, my suggestion is that if you really want the stuff and can afford pay the credit card bill balance and leave the money tied up for awhile, just be patient and wait, particularly if it was a good price. I wouldn't say it is out of bounds to call or email and check on it from time to time, but don't make it a daily, maybe not even weekly, habit; I'm sure they are doing everything they can to get the orders fulfilled as fast as they can. I look at it like this: Most places aren't taking backorders because they don't know when (or even if) they will get stuff or, more importantly, how much it will cost them at that point. As such, I fully expect prices to jump in a significant way, at least in the short run. And, if you got an order in, you've effectively locked in the price. Sure, you wouldn't be outside your rights or being unreasonable if you canceled the order and got your money back, but I doubt you'll get the same price when you reorder, if you ever can.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Heck, I didn't know they where in Huntsville.

I also didn't realize Ammunition To Go was in Brenham, until after I ordered ammo from them. I could have drove over there and picked it up myself. LOL.
On my periodic trips to Austin I take Hwy 105 to 290 at Brenham, direct to Austin. Ammo to Go is a frequent stop on these trips, as is the Blue Bell factory store for some fresh ice cream.

To go to Dallas to visit my kids and grand kids, I take 190 to Huntsville from Livingston, and as a rule, always stopped by the old Able Ammo location, attached to the Able Glass store, on the corner of 190 across from Walgreen's in Huntsville. Going into the store, there were always some odds and ends as bargains that caused my wife's nose to wrinkle as I considered the purchase. I found that the more my wife wrinkled her nose, and raised her eyebrows, the better the deal and the more likely the purchase.
On my last trip to Able Glass, they gave me a map to the new location which is much larger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts