Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3015150

April 6, 2007 — Have you ever defended yourself from a crime in your home, in your business, or in public by using a gun? Perhaps you warded off a potential attacker by simply showing a gun?

40 states now allow their citizens to obtain conceal-carry permits for handguns. Some people say that's dangerous, while others say it allows them to protect themselves.

If you have a story of self-defense involving the aid of a gun and would like to tell it to 20/20, please fill out the form below. A "20/20" producer may contact you.

I pulled this from Xavier's Thoughts blog (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/):
To ensure that the NRA knows how many responses ABC gets, please send them a copy of your story by e-mailing [email protected]. You can also call NRA Public Affairs at (703) 267-1193.

I think I also saw a blurb about this in the Minneapolis Star Tribune in the last day or so. Something about them wanting to prove/disprove the claims about the numbers of successful self-defense gun uses. I know that once word gets out that they will be swamped. I know that if I had any event that qualified (but in many ways I'm glad that I don't) I would contact them.

Steelheart

·
Registered
790 Posts
Thankfully, I've never had to resort to it, but I do hope those who have had an episode involving bad guys and guns will respond to this.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Unfortunately they may be missing the point, kind of like the theory of a theif robbing a business that has a no gun sign. It is the general knowledge that a truelly honest law abiding citizen might ruin a theifs plans that is a big part of the conceal carry picture. If a theif knew nobody was armed, it would make his planning a little easier. It is the idea that if you choose to intervene in a situation that then turns bad, you have plan "B", which can give you a little bit more courage than if you did not have that.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I agree 100% with Hershey. It is the thought that you MIGHT be armed that deters some theives. Just as the Castle Doctrine may make many thieves think twice about robbing a person's home.

Todd

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have had to use deadly force twice in my life to defend my home but I am not about the tell the media and give them the right to use my story however they see fit, they like to twist things around and Im sure I would end up looking like the bad guy by the time they are done with it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I heard it'll be a piece by John Stossel, who has done a few PRO-gun pieces on the show. If it was Mike Wallace or the late Ed Bradley, ya know it would be totally anti. I'm not a regular viewer, mainly because of previous anti- sentiment but Stossel seems to be a stand-up reporter. IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
35,680 Posts
I did once. I ain't telling ABC about it, though. I didn't have to shoot, just the sight of the gun sent the guy high tailin' it. He had brought a knife to a gun fight.

·
Super Moderator
35,680 Posts
BTW, Stossel is quite libertarian.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.